St Mirren v Kilmarnock SPFL PREMIERSHIP 22/4/23

shull

1 hour ago, antrin said:

NO

So just so we’re clear, if St. Mirren’s qualification for Europe depends on Celtic or Rangers winning the cup, you won’t want them to win?

Very odd behaviour for a so called St. Mirren fan. 

I grew up with what I’d call a “healthy” dislike of the old firm, but yours is beyond obsessive. 

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Unfortunately finding and being able to afford a goal scoring striker for a team like us is like finding the holy grail.

If Main goes and we could somehow find some club daft enough to take Brophy off our hands, every penny should be put into finding a striker that can score double figures, ideally towards the 15-20 goal mark. 

Motherwell seemed to have lucked out with Van Veen, although even he was getting pelters from their fans earlier in the season. So there must be suitable targets out there. This should be Foyle's priority.

A goal scorer is almost a state of mind..  look at Morelos ...feeble return despite the quality around him... Murray at County...scoring for fun at QP... rubbish in Premiership...  Fletcher at United low return.. only Shankland and VV are the exception and  they had to go backwards to move forward... so Main is about par.. and he more a No 10...

So you may find a striker but there are no certainity you will get a return... 

Tough gig... but in SR we must trust... or we get Haaland on a free in 10 years

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

So just so we’re clear, if St. Mirren’s qualification for Europe depends on Celtic or Rangers winning the cup, you won’t want them to win?

I grew up with what I’d call a “healthy” dislike of the old firm, but yours is beyond obsessive. 

You have just noticed ?

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

Unfortunately finding and being able to afford a goal scoring striker for a team like us is like finding the holy grail.

If Main goes and we could somehow find some club daft enough to take Brophy off our hands, every penny should be put into finding a striker that can score double figures, ideally towards the 15-20 goal mark. 

Motherwell seemed to have lucked out with Van Veen, although even he was getting pelters from their fans earlier in the season. So there must be suitable targets out there. This should be Foyle's priority.

On most occasions when we fail to score, there are few strikers around who could have made it difference

the problem with the current side is the lack of quality delivery to the box

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

4 minutes ago, DougJamie said:

You have just noticed ?

It’s about morality and personal choice.  I understand that others may not respect my choice.

I simply can’t bring myself to consider that supporting my football club is more important than not wanting bigotry to flourish and profit.

I’ve always wanted St Mirren to succeed on its own terms - by finishing as high as it possibly can.

6 minutes ago, antrin said:

It’s about morality and personal choice.  I understand that others may not respect my choice.

I simply can’t bring myself to consider that supporting my football club is more important than not wanting bigotry to flourish and profit.

I’ve always wanted St Mirren to succeed on its own terms - by finishing as high as it possibly can.

Ah well. Each to their own. 

Me personally, in 1980 as a 14 year old boy who “hated” the OF, I was dancing around my living room when George McCluskey scored against Rangers in the cup final. 

2 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Me personally, in 1980 as a 14 year old boy who “hated” the OF, I was dancing around my living room when George McCluskey scored against Rangers in the cup final. 

Fairy Nuff. One of the bigot teams beat the other.

I’d probably be pleased at the side effect of Saints benefitting, but… I would always support a diddy team against either of the bigots.

44 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Me too

Well not your living room but you know what I mean

Any more performances like yesterdays and it won’t matter one bit who wins the cup

To be fair to the player,s that was a tired looking display by just about everyone, being critical I should mention that some players who at times haven't featured for weeks on end were awful and don't have that excuse.  Being even more critical, any small chance of recovery went when we lost a player.

The best bits are that we can't finish any lower and the players have 2 weeks to gather some energy and focus.  If we win at least 3 games we will maybe get 5th place or better as the other teams need to take points off each other and the old firm.

Edited by beyond our ken

3 minutes ago, HSS said:

Me too

Well not your living room but you know what I mean

Any more performances like yesterdays and it won’t matter one bit who wins the cup

Agreed.

I’m not a fan of the term “free hit” but the post split matches against Celtic and Rangers are exactly that. Anything we get is a bonus.

All our focus should be on beating Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs. We’ve beaten them all already this season (Aberdeen twice) so no reason why we can’t do it again. If we do then we’ve done everything that we could’ve reasonably been expected to do. 
Like you say though, play like yesterday and we won’t beat any of them. 

25 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Agreed.

I’m not a fan of the term “free hit” but the post split matches against Celtic and Rangers are exactly that. Anything we get is a bonus.

All our focus should be on beating Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs. We’ve beaten them all already this season (Aberdeen twice) so no reason why we can’t do it again. If we do then we’ve done everything that we could’ve reasonably been expected to do. 

Maybe a 2 match ticket package will be in order now.  We could even team up with the other sides to make it apply to away games.  The old firm would never agree but we would have to include them in order to make reduced prices fly.  It would be great to attend sold-out stadiums for the remainder of the season

54 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Agreed.

I don't think we will play as badly as that again for the rest of this season.

Well beaten in the last two games but despite that, top six status secured. Killies tactics yesterday, particularly the faking of injury, was pretty disappointing but their determination made us look poor. Regarding the player who was cautioned twice in a minute, then dismissed, I would send him back to his host club as he is not up to much in a playing sense. Only downside of ending up among the big boys is the inevitable heavy defeats against the OF. At least relegation has been avoided. 😁

7 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Absolutely!  

Despite Saints finishing third had Rangers won the Scottish Cup that day they would have entered the ECWC and Celtic would have taken the remaining UEFA cup place. Dundee Utd had already won the LC to take the other UEFA slot. 

The SFA should have banned both clubs from the next seasons SC.

6 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

To be fair to the player,s that was a tired looking display by just about everyone, being critical I should mention that some players who at times haven't featured for weeks on end were awful and don't have that excuse.  Being even more critical, any small chance of recovery went when we lost a player.

The best bits are that we can't finish any lower and the players have 2 weeks to gather some energy and focus.  If we win at least 3 games we will maybe get 5th place or better as the other teams need to take points off each other and the old firm.

A threadbare  squad has got us over the line.

In years past we had some good young players to run their legs off but no more.

Young players play no part in the Robinson way of playing.

5 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

The reason we have a threadbare squad is we had to reduce costs by transferring/loaning out youth academy graduates like Ethan, Dylan Reid and Jay Henderson. 

We also loaned out the young lad to Arbroath as well as Brophy.

He brought in 18 year old Small recently and recalled Lewis Jamieson. 

Robbo has achieved what no other manager has done for decades with very limited resources. 

Edited by Albanian Buddy

16 minutes ago, waldorf34 said:

The way to a sustainable top 6 for us is to have excellent young players led by experienced players in their prime. that  much  is obvious.   Attracting and keeping both types of talent is the big problem for us.  I would hope (and like to think)  that Robinson would field more youngsters if they are good enough.

The Scottish Premiership is now in a 3-tier situation with Aberdeen, the Edinburgh clubs and one other (currently us) making up the middle tier, all three of the others can regularly hit 20000 home ticket sales, more than double our potential and there is an obvious gulf in revenue between us and that has an obvious effect on what kind of player they attract , we would have to add another 6000 seats to seriously challenge their positions .   I am afraid the pecking order is about to be set in stone for the next 20 years.  Goodwin is clearly turning around United and if he carries on in that vein then they will probably usurp us.  Their current attendances average 8600 and they will hit the 9000+ mark if they continue to improve.  

Unless we can grow the club exponentially, then the best we can hope for is top 6 every 3-5 years whilst fighting it out with Killie, Motherwell and United. Given yesterday's crowd figures, i'd like to think we could actually sell more seats than we currently have on a regular basis.  As football attendances are on the rise in Scotland, it would be interesting to know if there is any research into our best potential that would indicate how much the club can possibly grow.  

9 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I can't remember what i did that day.  Probably a couple of early lunctime beers in the Tudor  or the New Bar and then up the high st for records and maybe clothes.  I do know that i paid zero attention to what those shits did to each other on that particular afternoon.