Viaplay Cup(League Cup) 2023/24

HSS

13 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That said, absolutely no excuse for a supposed premiership team losing to Montrose. 

Absolutely.

There was some comment earlier along the lines its early days, we'll get fitter etc.

What utter drivel.

Are Montrose magically super fit etc?

Very poor performance and the manager and players really need to get this sorted as it could be another costly exit from a competition we should be looking to go into the latter stages. 

15 minutes ago, saint in exile said:

When our squad is training, doing the "attack v defence" routine, I wonder which one wins? Cos the defence cannae defend and the attack cannae win a ball in the air.

The attack should be playing football on the deck not firing crosses constantly into the box hoping for a lucky knockdown that's what i saw today in the 2nd half... thankfully I missed the first half 

I just assume the manager has no interest in the Viaplay and nor should we if that is the case.  If he has told the players just to jog around, build fitmess and not injure themselves then I don't really see why any of us should hand over any cash for these games.  10-15 minutes of hard work by us should really kill-off teams like Montrose though.

I was resigned to Robinson being a really bad appointment this time last year and he almost won me over completely by the end of the first phase of  the league, hopefully we will improve somewhat by mid-August.

I'm going in to hospital again this week and at least that gives me the excuse not to go to any games, if they rally by the weekend then the Cowden match is close by for me so I might just head along to that if it's not pishing down.

Otherwise, i will wait for the league to start before getting excited again

11 minutes ago, Warrior Saint said:

Honestly got no sympathy for people who go and pay to watch these games then moan. Glorified friendlies with players not wanting injured before season starts. You know what you are getting to to Montrose on a blowy rainy day then moan about it....

Does that only apply to us then, because other than St. Johnstone all the other Premiership teams seemed to manage just fine. 

I just hope we are not going to persist with McMenamin as LWB as it not a position he plays. We signed him as a winger/forward and for us spent a bit of money on him we need to find a system that’s brings out the best in him or why buy him. He looks a player but not at LWB. Is that 3 in a row we have lost to lower league opposition in a row the scum Montrose and didn’t we play Ayr at the training ground as well 

27 minutes ago, JJ McG said:

We actually let Shaughnessy leave as he wasn’t a guaranteed starter 😅

It actually makes me quite angry that the manager seemed to consider Dunne a better defender than Shaughnessy - despite the former's regular bomb scare moments/fouls last season. - not to mention his consistent vain, pretentious attempts to execute 40 yards diagonal passes a la Franz Beckenbauer, 90% of which ended up out the park or straight to the opposition.

I think Dunne's black sleeve attire is quiite appropriate in his case.

Deja vu from this time  last season unfortunately. Was sat in the main stand and Robbo was returning some abuse back to some Saints fans in the second half. Not a good look from both sides who were obviously frustrated. 
Lack of quality in the final third, Dunne, Fraser and Gallagher all struggling at the back, no composure, long diagonal  punts from us instead of trying to play football and second to a lot of balls. Brutal watch.

Gogic was by far our best player but gets hooked??? O’Hara played ok. Greive worked his socks of but with no effect on the game. 

Early doors, but Mandron looked poor, was absolutely schooled by a 39 year old part time centre back. His lack of physicality and touch is a worry. 
McMenamn looked tidy but spent the game chasing long balls and looked out of position. 
Collum had a typically poor game too and should’ve played advantage for the foul at the edge of the box that fell perfectly for O’Hara who slotted it home, but no excuses; we were dire against a dire Montrose team. 
Can’t comprehend not qualifying out that group, but a real possibility now if we play like that in the other games. 

My Motherwell supporting mate said this of Mandron. He comes across timid to me, he doesn't use his size to his advantage and was a bit lacklustre. I do think he will thrive when he gets confident his record indicates he is a 1 in 4 man over his league career so by my reckoning we can expect maybe 9 goals if plays every league game got 1 in 7 last season at well. 

Woeful! Embarrassing! Shocking! And that's me being generous.

To a man. A complete shambles.

I spent nearly five hours driving to see that awful display. 

To say Mandron has two left feet would be an insult............................. to a left foot. He is absolutely honking. 

If this is to be the standard for our league campaign then we best hope Morton don't get relegated so we have something to look forward to in season 2024-25.

Edited by stlucifer

1 hour ago, Warrior Saint said:

Honestly got no sympathy for people who go and pay to watch these games then moan. Glorified friendlies with players not wanting injured before season starts. You know what you are getting to to Montrose on a blowy rainy day then moan about it....

Except it wasn't raining. Nor was it particularly "blowy". Nor was it a friendly.

Apart from that...................................................

1 hour ago, Warrior Saint said:

Think you’ll find the season started today. The fact the league cup starts in July doesn’t mean it’s less important than if it started in September. There are only two trophies we can hope to challenge for and we’ve potentially blown our chances in one on the first day of the season.