St Mirren v Spartans Scottish Cup 3rd Round 29/11/16

shull

St Mirren are granted right of appeal over fine

THE Scottish FA yesterday offered St Mirren the right of appeal over their [GBP]25,000 fine by the emergency committee, on the day that Spartans were revealed to have made an administrative error of their own.

David Taylor, the SFA chief executive, informed the St Mirren chairman, Stewart Gilmour, that under article 134.3 of the articles of association, the club are able to contest the fine for failing to list two outfield under-21 players in their squad for the Tennent's Scottish Cup fourth-round tie against Spartans, which ended goalless at City Park.

Provided St Mirren lodge their appeal within seven days, the case will be heard by an appeals board headed by a legally qualified chairman.

Football: pounds 25,000; TENNENT'S SCOTTISH CUP St Mirren v Spartans Stunned Saints hit with huge fine for breaking SFA rules.

Byline: By Hugh Keevins 

ST MIRREN boss Gus MacPherson's preparations for tonight's replay with Spartans were plunged into despair when the Paisley club was fined pounds 25,000 by the SFA for a rule breach. 

The fine imposed by the SFA's emergency committee, comprising president John McBeth and council members George Peat, Campbell Ogilvie and John Smith, is the equivalent of three weeks' running costs for the First Division leaders. 

There is no right of appeal against the severity of the sentence and any delay in payment will see the money deducted from what St Mirren have already earned in the competition. 

The club's offence was a failure to have two players, excluding a keeper, under the age of 21 in the squad for the first game against Spartans in Edinburgh. 

The mistake was spotted by Spartans' manager Mickey Lawson and brought to the attention of the match referee Charlie Richmond. It's understood the official was prepared to overlook the oversight, but the administrative error was brought to the SFA's attention and now St Mirren have been left reeling by the scale of their fine. 

Publicly, the club can only say they've had a fair hearing and take their medicine. 

But privately there's dismay that such a sentence could be passed by a ruling body who've twice made glaring and embarrassing errors of their own this season. 

Dunfermline's Ian Campbell was told he was suspended and couldn't play against Livingston in the CIS Cup semi-final, only to discover he was eligible all along. 

Earlier, Rainer Bonhof picked Hibs' Steven Whittaker to play against Italy in an Under-21 match when he was suspended. The game at Fir Park was drawn but UEFA deducted three points from Scotland after the mistake came to light. 

The members of the emergency committee declined to comment on their decision last night. 

St Mirren's shoestring existence has now been made even worse because of a punishment that doesn't fit the 'crime' committed. 

MacPherson said: "We need all of the Cup money we can get now. And winning a place in the last eight of the competition, with a tie against Gretna or Clyde, would help make up for our disappointment. 

"We have been guilty of human error and were makingno attempt to gain an unfair advantage against Spartans in the first tie. 

"It's a struggle to keep this club afloat but we have a fantastic advantage against an East of Scotland League club. We need to make the wide expanse at Love Street as difficult for them as the tight surroundings of the City Park were for us 10 days ago."

The thing is....

that rule was to. Encourage the use and deployment of young Scottish players.

st Mirren actually had several precisely young Scottish players in the team and not fecklessly warming a stupid bench for bureaucracy's sake.

it's not as criminal as if they'd been secretly paying players via EBTs for years....

On 10/25/2016 at 10:24 PM, shull said:

Club History Spartans FC

Record attendance away from home: 4,295 v St Mirren (14th February 2006)

How many will be at St Mirren Park, Paisley2021 Stadium this time around?

My guess - 2,895

Put another way - 1,400 fewer.

At £22 a ticket, that mounts up to a serious sum.

I hope that I am entirely wrong and we get 5,000 plus.

19 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

My guess - 2,895

It won't be £22 a ticket,nowhere near it.

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

My guess - 2,895

As HSS says more likely to be £15 tops however even at that I suspect the crowd will be well under the figure you quote probably nearer 2000 than 3000 sadly.

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Saints said:

As HSS says more likely to be £15 tops however even at that I suspect the crowd will be well under the figure you quote probably nearer 2000 than 3000 sadly.

Unfortunately,  you are probably right regarding the crowd. Won't be unhappy with the lower cost. Still adds up to significantly lower income for the club.

Admission Prices

Adults - £12

Concessions - £8

Still too expensive, especially for children

Should be £8 for Adults and a £1 for the rest.

Agree that 8 quid is too expensive for kids.

I know both teams need to agree the pricing structure. Maybe Spartans started off high to try and maximise their income from the match.