St Mirren V Liverpool

Guest ballochbud72

Just done a quick check. The match had bugger all to do with the floodlights. It was to mark our centenary!!!!! 1877 - how could we forget that FFS?

It WAS the centenary game... hence the centenary trophy and "Centenary" on the front of the programme... ...

but I'm sure it was supposed to coincide with the official switching on of the new floodlights.

Another flashback! The next game after the Liverpool game was against Celtic and a Liverpool player said that Peter Latchford would need a miner`s helmet to help him see, since the lights were so poor!! (or similar words) This suggests the old lights (obviously!)

I've done a but of research and as unlikely as it sounds......I could be talking shite..ohmy.png

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_Street_(stadium)

(Don't think the Wiki link is working....google it!!)

http://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/forums/index.php/topic/22876-love-st-floodlights/page-1

According to the "St Mirren Programme" website the Liverpool game was our Centenary match and not the lights switch on.

Check Dec 12 in the link......

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Prog_Season.php?season=1977

This is,I think,the night the lights went on.....

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1977&GameID=1659

Do you know something?

That rings a bell!!!

It was indeed the Aberdeen match that he new lights were switched on. It was a wet night.

That Liverpool team was as good as it got back in those days. I'll never forget Aber squeezing in the equaliser and the North Bank going mental. I'd been going to watch the Saints since about 1972 and usually sat down by the wooden railings around the boundary of the track around the pitch. By '77 I'd served my time and was standing with the big boys.

I do remember the distraction of the old firm shite in the old North Bank that night but what stood loud and proud above anything was the proud tradition of the 100 years of St Mirren and our history. The real Saints fans went mental at Aber's goal. Maybe we didn't beat the best team in the world that night but it had an everlasting effect on me.

The Liverpool team bus was stopped at the traffic lights as I made my way into Ronnie's Steak Bar for a pre-match pint. Emelyn Hughes was girning and waving out the bus window at me, so I gave him the usual Paisley custom of the time, the Viccy. Good man that he is, he burst out laughing and gave me the thumbs up.

I may be having a senior moment here, but I believe our new Floodlights were 'officially' opened with a game against Arsenal months after we started using them! I have a very grainy photo of the play from my usual spot in The Choir (don't think it was called the North Bank yet?).

Was a huge crowd at that game too.

Edited by Vambo57

The Liverpool team bus was stopped at the traffic lights as I made my way into Ronnie's Steak Bar for a pre-match pint. Emelyn Hughes was girning and waving out the bus window at me, so I gave him the usual Paisley custom of the time, the Viccy. Good man that he is, he burst out laughing and gave me the thumbs up.

I may be having a senior moment here, but I believe our new Floodlights were 'officially' opened with a game against Arsenal months after we started using them! I have a very grainy photo of the play from my usual spot in The Choir (don't think it was called the North Bank yet?).

http://stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1980&GameID=1838

Was that not played on a Sunday afternoon on a Scottish/FA Cup weekend to make up for the fact that we had both been knocked out the respective cups in the early rounds?

It sounds like , there may have been more than one official opening of the flood lights . .

Does anyone have the definitive answer. .

Right! The Liverpool game was the Centenary match in December 1977. It was deffo played under the OLD floodlights!

The 1 & only time I think I saw them - small pylons in each corner with additional lamps suspended from the 2 roofs!

We acquired the "new" pylons from Rangers FC (now defunct) when they replaced theirs!

We played St Ettienne in a UEFA cup match in season 1980/81 along with FC Elfsborg (Swe)

(God I feel old!!!) bye1.gif

Arsenal,who were in Paisley on Sunday 14th February 1981,both clubs having suffered early dismissals from their respective cup competitions.

Almost 10,000 spectators saw St.Mirren go into the lead just before half-time when Frank McDougall took full advantage of a beautiful Peter Weir cross.

Immediately after the interval Frank Stapleton equalised after some shoddy home defending.
Weir,whose trickery caused John Devine no end of trouble,put the home side ahead again,but O'Leary made the scores level twelve minutes later.

Sunderland,Rix and Stapleton now began to play very impressively and Arsenal just about deserved the narrow win which was earned by a late goal by Davis.

St.Mirren: Thomson,Young,Beckett,Richardson,Fulton,Copland,McDougall (Logan),Stark (McCormack),Somner,Abercromby (Bone),Weir.

Arsenal: Jennings (Wood),Devine,Sansom,Talbot (Cox),O'Leary,White,McDemott (Gatling),Sunderland,Stapleton,Davis,Rix.

We acquired the "new" pylons from Rangers FC (now defunct) when they replaced theirs!

Oh no we didn't! They were brand new.

ETA:

You may be thinking of our previous floodlights at Love St. with the 2 'pylons' and the side lights

Edited by Vambo57