Paisley - My Pics Of Old Or Unusual Buildings Or Places Of Interest.

Sonny

2 hours ago, HSS said:

Was the upstairs of Burtons at the Cross linked to the Glen Cinema?

Well…

…occupying the same building… and, as the article I linked to suggests,  that the clothing stores were created with such social spaces in mind, I’d guess there was, at least, an intention to rent out the space for a cinema or similar social space.

Ps and I can’t find anything about that High Street burtons on the www.

I’d guess they opened up there earlier using an existing shop space to test out the potential market in the early 30s, then moved to a bigger, purpose built Burtons building in 1936.

Edited by antrin

1 hour ago, antrin said:

truesaint…. Are you going to stick with that response?

No don't be so daft. It was love , william and cutler gunsmiths at 1 smithills street. Everyone knows that.

Funnily enough there was a drysalter and gum manufacturers on Murray Street but you will be too young to remember. It was my grandson's business. 🙂

On 2/8/2022 at 4:02 PM, The Original 59er said:

The Glasgow Herald Office was on the south side of that Square. Had to go into their office each Saturday morning with the takings I owed the Herald when I ran a paper round for 4 years by just delivering the Herald each morning.

4 Dozen and eight............. that number is etched on my brain as the standard delivery dropped off at my front door from the age of 15 to 18 at 6.00am 6 days a week. It was a very lucrative arrangement as opposed to working as a "paper shop" delivery boy.

I recall a guy named Davie Shepherd from Glenburn drove the delivery van (a mini?) in the 70s

7 hours ago, ALBIONSAINT said:

1972 and you were in Spain on holiday! Toff! Think I was in Morecambe 😅 

It was quite unusual TBH, not many from Andrew Street, if any, would have been abroad at that time.

My parents, especially my Dad, were great savers and this must have taken up quite a bit of their annual income, as both worked in fairly low paid jobs. (Mother in retail and my Dad in engineering stores)

As I said, I still have some vivid memories, reflecting the rarity of this particular holiday. 

Ah, the baths, lost count of the number of times I went here, it was a treat to get into the women's pool with the diving board, as did the "wee" pool, I think?
If I was lucky, a wee visit to the chippie at the top of Storie Street and a slow wander home vis Stoney Brae. 
99057124_4506887582670322_6661986071326228480_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=VbCQFX8_XvgAX9SOYJS&tn=wer4uSsPW03AOgHa&_nc_ht=scontent-man2-1.xx&oh=00_AT_1wfaf1y0IOXobeikd3Lg-v7t8QgkdaHqZcCNQc8ZRPQ&oe=623D16A7

Don't remember the wee pool having diving dales.

Used renfrew baths more as we were from Gallowhill and my mates mum was a clippy on Cunningham buses.

Baths, chippy then putting in Robertson Park.

6 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Ah, the baths, lost count of the number of times I went here, it was a treat to get into the women's pool with the diving board, as did the "wee" pool, I think?

If I was lucky, a wee visit to the chippie at the top of Storie Street and a slow wander home vis Stoney Brae. 

May be an image of text that says "1 Image held at Heritage Centre Archive Paisley"

I also remember the Ox Tail soup, ooft, cracking aroma and strong taste. :thumbs2

10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

May be an image of text that says "1 Image held at Heritage Centre Archive Paisley"

You never managed to wander to Love Street to see your local Team any time at all. You're a fake Saint with no memories of St Mirren. Who were Fergie's Furies, tell us all about them ?  Youre only on here to bully and abuse St Mirren fans.

11 hours ago, Cookie Monster said:

Don't remember the wee pool having diving dales.

Used renfrew baths more as we were from Gallowhill and my mates mum was a clippy on Cunningham buses.

Baths, chippy then putting in Robertson Park.

I thought the wee pool had a diving board? 

As tantrum says, the womens pool had a diving dale, wasn't sure "dale" was the right word.

I don't remember the men's pool having anything, that's why I liked the women's pool, jumping/diving off the and into the water. 

I went the odd time to Renfrew baths, problem was I used to spend all my money in Robertson park and had to walk home, seemed to take forever. 

I thought the wee pool had a diving board? 
As tantrum says, the womens pool had a diving dale, wasn't sure "dale" was the right word.
I don't remember the men's pool having anything, that's why I liked the women's pool, jumping/diving off the and into the water. 
I went the odd time to Renfrew baths, problem was I used to spend all my money in Robertson park and had to walk home, seemed to take forever. 
Yip, been there done that when i was about 12. Had the polis out looking for us as we were that late one time.[emoji15]

Saturday's were fantastic.

Morning, my dad took me and my brothers to Storie Street , home for lunch then off to see the Saints home or away in the afternoon.

Coming out the Baths , seeing the Sign of the Business opposite always made me chuckle.