Bolton Interested In Mcginn

densop1

I would hope the club wouldn't accept any less than £750K for McGinn, with a robust sell-on clause.

The transfer of O'Brien and MacNamee to Blackburn Rovers soured our chairman to any future benefit clauses such as sell-on / first team debut / international caps or whatever. Money up front every time.

So you don't think he's anywhere near as good as the two boys from Hamilton .

As good as McCarthy at the same age...no.

As good as McArthur at the same age...yes.

Potential to be as good or better than McCarthy... 50/50, but would need as much game time as the wee rodent gave him at Hamilton.

Potential to be as good or better than McArthur... Yes

His ability to hold the ball is what impresses me. Not your standard kick and rush Scottish central midfielder. £1m + with 2 years left on his contract. If we hold on to him though we will need to cash in next summer unless he can agree a new deal before then.

McArthur is another grossly overrated Scottish player. He should aim higher than that.

The reason we won't get such big transfer fees for our young players is that we cling to the fantasy that we have the slightest chance of holding on to them if a big club comes in. Hamilton knew that any player with half decent ability would leave eventually, so it's in their best interests to talk them up from day 1 to try and get a huge pay off when they inevitably leave. We talk our players down in the hope that the good ones might slip under the radar of the bigger clubs, it's not going to happen, their scouting networks are far too good. Make no mistake, all the Championship clubs will already be well aware of any decent young footballers in the SPL. But it's the ones with the huge hype in the media that they'll have to pay through the nose for. McHattie and McGowan from Hearts are prime examples, neither are as good as McGinn but Hearts have been making a big fuss about them since they broke into the first team, that fuss will eventually lead to a big transfer fee. I don't want to lose McGinn, but I'd also hate to think that playing in the SPL for St Mirren was the height of his ambitions, I just want us to be fairly compensated when he does go...

The reason we won't get such big transfer fees for our young players is that we cling to the fantasy that we have the slightest chance of holding on to them if a big club comes in. Hamilton knew that any player with half decent ability would leave eventually, so it's in their best interests to talk them up from day 1 to try and get a huge pay off when they inevitably leave. We talk our players down in the hope that the good ones might slip under the radar of the bigger clubs, it's not going to happen, their scouting networks are far too good. Make no mistake, all the Championship clubs will already be well aware of any decent young footballers in the SPL. But it's the ones with the huge hype in the media that they'll have to pay through the nose for. McHattie and McGowan from Hearts are prime examples, neither are as good as McGinn but Hearts have been making a big fuss about them since they broke into the first team, that fuss will eventually lead to a big transfer fee. I don't want to lose McGinn, but I'd also hate to think that playing in the SPL for St Mirren was the height of his ambitions, I just want us to be fairly compensated when he does go...

Yeh, that hamilton tactic really got them a much longer run in the SPL than saints have enjoyed????????????

Wait a minute....

Just to add my tupence worth before bed.....John McGinn is the best prospect I have seen since Frank McAvennie ....Different player of course but he has ALL the tools needed.....Kenny McLean lacks many and I hope for his sake and ours he develops them. The only fear I have for John is don't let it get to your head and the game he plays might lead to injury. He is a complete player.

Edited by reborn saint

There's a good article in today's PDE about McGinn (but as usual it's not online yet). David Longwell says he thinks McGinn can go a long way in the game and praises his attitude and talent. There's one bit, I think, says a lot about McGinn as a person ' When the team won the League Cup last season, John came into the coaches room on the Monday morning to thank us for the part we had played in his success.'

Yeh, that hamilton tactic really got them a much longer run in the SPL than saints have enjoyed????????????

Wait a minute....

Talented young players are going to move onwards and upwards, it's part of supporting a smaller club, learn to live with it. Would you rather see guys like McGinn and McLean walk away for pennies, or would you rather we got the cash we deserve for them?

Also, Hamilton had to use the money from the McArthy and McArthur deals to service their debt. We could put the majority of that money back into the playing squad.

Talented young players are going to move onwards and upwards, it's part of supporting a smaller club, learn to live with it. Would you rather see guys like McGinn and McLean walk away for pennies, or would you rather we got the cash we deserve for them?

Also, Hamilton had to use the money from the McArthy and McArthur deals to service their debt. We could put the majority of that money back into the playing squad.

That'd be lovely, but probably more likely that Board members would (reasonably in my view) seek to recoup some of their investment.