Danny Says No More Signings

The current squad have good players but no depth. In winter away at tannadice with thommo injured is Reilly the main man to lead the line. I am sorry but factor in injury or suspension and we have absolutely no chance. The squad is one of the weakest in the league - bookies have us as one of the faves for the drop

Can you tell me the players that Thistle have brought in to strenghten them for the SPL? Ok what about Hibs replacing Griffiths and Doyle (their main strikers)..no? Hearts are in turmoil and yet you state that bookies have us as one of the faves to go down? Our squad have lost some quality players; the Newcastle boys got stick on here at times as have all the others who have left as not being good enough or committed enough. The management have decided who should stay and who should go having watched them in training and on the pitch. The season has not yet begun and we have the usual hysteria because our rivals have brought in a lot of untried or journeymen to their teams. Motherwell capturing McFadden is the best deal and if Boyd sticks with Killie then he will provide some goals but he is way past his best now. ICT have a lot of untried players too.

Until we know our full squad for the season and play the opposition at least once then we cannot determine whether our squad is good enough or has strength in depth. I am happy to wait as there are a lot of players still out of contract and confident our management team will plug the gaps at LB and up front.

confident our management team will plug the gaps at LB and up front.

Wot Ned said.

Although it would be nice just once to have all our signings sorted early doors so that we can go into a full pre-season with a settled squad. Suppose there's something quite exciting as a supporter in waiting to see who we sign right up to the last minute though.

As long as it doesn't turn out to be Nacho Novo.

Great result for St Johnstone, and for the whole of Scottish football. It'll make it that bit more disappointing when they blow it at home...*

*I hope they don't blow it.

This. As much as I hope they finish the job, I don't see the norwegians failing to score in perth...nail biting at best for the wee saints.

As for the result...even more impressive given that the Norwegians season is already well underway.

I agree with ned as well ,if we are going with the squad as it is now can only hope that if we get to the January transfer window and if we are in any sort of trouble the board take the risk and bring in a couple of players ,relegation as we know would be a disaster .when we see all the other clubs around us bringing in loads of players albeit they are not spending money on transfer fees .

I genuinely cannot believe we haven't signed anyone this week. I assumed we were holding off till we got back from Spain. Well we've been back from Spain for nearly a week now, and still nothing.

What on earth is going on?

I genuinely cannot believe we haven't signed anyone this week. I assumed we were holding off till we got back from Spain. Well we've been back from Spain for nearly a week now, and still nothing.

What on earth is going on?

I assume we're planning on taking a couple of players in on loan again.

Doubt we'd go for any free agents now as they'd be lagging behind the rest of the squad in fitness.

Doubt we'd go for any free agents now as they'd be lagging behind the rest of the squad in fitness.

Most free agents have been doing full pre seasons with other clubs. I reckon their fitness will be ok.

Is there a maximum amount of loanees we can sign? Baring in mind we already have 1. We need about 6, is that allowed?

You are right about free agents though. We are far too late to be signing anyone without a club who hasn't had a preseason. It's either loanees galore, pay fees for players or neither.

Sadly i have a feeling it maybe the latter. 10 out 4 in - 2 of the new guys are youths. We are 7 first team players down on a few months ago. Have we ever had such a negative turnover from post season to this stage in preseason before? Certainly not that i recall.

What has happened to our budget? Does anyone know? I've concluded Danny must have been told to cut his budget hugely. There is simply no way any manager would choose to do this to a squad. It's been decimated.

Is there a maximum amount of loanees we can sign? Baring in mind we already have 1. We need about 6, is that allowed?

You are right about free agents though. We are far too late to be signing anyone without a club who hasn't had a preseason. It's either loanees galore, pay fees for players or neither.

Sadly i have a feeling it maybe the latter. 10 out 4 in - 2 of the new guys are youths. We are 7 first team players down on a few months ago. Have we ever had such a negative turnover from post season to this stage in preseason before? Certainly not that i recall.

What has happened to our budget? Does anyone know? I've concluded Danny must have been told to cut his budget hugely. There is simply no way any manager would choose to do this to a squad. It's been decimated.

We've let players go but some of the players re-signed on greater terms. Some of the budget would have went there I'm afraid.

Most free agents have been doing full pre seasons with other clubs. I reckon their fitness will be ok.

Even if they have had a preseason, if they haven't got a contract somewhere by now they will be guff. Can you think of any free agents within our budget who you think could do a job for us? I could name about 10 or 11 a month ago. Can't name any now, the 10 or 11 i could name have all been signed by other clubs, mostly our rivals.

Let's hope we can bring in loads of good loanees again.

Even if they have had a preseason, if they haven't got a contract somewhere by now they will be guff. Can you think of any free agents within our budget who you think could do a job for us? I could name about 10 or 11 a month ago. Can't name any now, the 10 or 11 i could name have all been signed by other clubs, mostly our rivals.

Let's hope we can bring in loads of good loanees again.

Tbh, I haven't been paying attention to whose a free agent.

Yeh, hope we can bring in a couple of quality loan signings.

We are 7 first team players down on a few months ago.

Out: Samson, Dummett, Newton, Carey, Imrie, Goncalves, Guy & Parkin.

In: Cornell & Harkins

I make that 6 down at first inspection.

Of the players out, only 4 of them were automatic first choice regulars and I'm assuming that the 2 new players in are automatic first choice picks.

So, in reality, its 2 first choice picks down plus 4 squad players down.

You can also factor in that John McGinn emerged during last season as virtually an automatic first pick, knocking Kenny McLean out of his auto spot in the side while Darren McGregor may well emerge as a first team player again.

Then there is the youth players who would hope could come through, eg Brady, Reilly, Yaqub & Kelly. No-one expected McGinn to establish himself right away last season so who is to say one or more of these guys won't this season? At the very least they may be capable squad players. And there is also that young Irish boy who has been signed.

So, in reality, if Lennon makes just a couple of loan signings before the window closes and they are auto first choice standard, then that appeals to me mor ethan signing guys like Saunders, Easton, et al.

As you know, I am no fan of Lennon's ridiculous tactics - but I wouldn't be so quick to rubbish his squad.

Not yet anyway... :lol:

Pish. We need no more than 2 - a striker and a left back and I'm not convinced we need a left back either.

Even if they have had a preseason, if they haven't got a contract somewhere by now they will be guff.

More pish! Until this morning McFadden hadn't signed with Motherwell and was theoretically available. Is he guff?

As regards the budget, you're as bad at basic arithmetic as you are at whining like a bitch.

We've terminated the contracts of several players a year early. That would not have been cheap. As said above, it's also likely that McGowan is on more money this year and so to expect the same number in as we let go is just the inane mutterings of a thick ****.

Even a numpty should be able to understand the situation we're in right now.

You've also ignored the fact that MacGregor has returned and is like a new player but hey don't let facts and commonsense get in the way of another whining rant.

Edited by oaksoft

Pish. We need no more than 2 - a striker and a left back and I'm not convinced we need a left back either.

Got to agree with this.

I'm hopeful that Kelly and / or Yaqub emerge as quality left backs. Its only really through the youth system (or loanees) that you will get real quality into the team. You seldom get quality from free agents.

I can't see any great strikers coming through but maybe Reilly will surprise while Brady got a good write up at the end of last season as an attacking midfielder.

Out: Samson, Dummett, Newton, Carey, Imrie, Goncalves, Guy & Parkin Puri

In: Cornell & Harkins

I make that 6 down at first inspection.

Of the players out, only 4 of them were automatic first choice regulars and I'm assuming that the 2 new players in are automatic first choice picks.

So, in reality, its 2 first choice picks down plus 4 squad players down.

You can also factor in that John McGinn emerged during last season as virtually an automatic first pick, knocking Kenny McLean out of his auto spot in the side while Darren McGregor may well emerge as a first team player again.

Then there is the youth players who would hope could come through, eg Brady, Reilly, Yaqub & Kelly. No-one expected McGinn to establish himself right away last season so who is to say one or more of these guys won't this season? At the very least they may be capable squad players. And there is also that young Irish boy who has been signed.

So, in reality, if Lennon makes just a couple of loan signings before the window closes and they are auto first choice standard, then that appeals to me mor ethan signing guys like Saunders, Easton, et al.

As you know, I am no fan of Lennon's ridiculous tactics - but I wouldn't be so quick to rubbish his squad.

Not yet anyway... lol.gif:

It is 7, as you'll see from the edit. Whether they get a game or not is irrelevant to the point, i believe Danny was right to release alll of them. The point is they were proven players at senior level

More pish! Until this morning McFadden hadn't signed with Motherwell and was theoretically available. Is he guff?

As regards the budget, you're as bad at basic arithmetic as you are at whining like a bitch.

We've terminated the contracts of several players a year early. That would not have been cheap. As said above, it's also likely that McGowan is on more money this year and so to expect the same number in as we let go is just the inane mutterings of a thick ****.

Even a numpty should be able to understand the situation we're in right now.

You've also ignored the fact that MacGregor has returned and is like a new player but hey don't let facts and commonsense get in the way of another whining rant.

Too much personal abuse. Relax, it's only football. The suns out, go and take a lie down and come back when you want to talk St Mirren.

Got to agree with this.

I'm hopeful that Kelly and / or Yaqub emerge as quality left backs. Its only really through the youth system (or loanees) that you will get real quality into the team. You seldom get quality from free agents.

I can't see any great strikers coming through but maybe Reilly will surprise while Brady got a good write up at the end of last season as an attacking midfielder.

Yeah you're right. Of the 16 that won the League Cup only 8 were free agents. That Thompson's rubbish isn't he?

lol.gif

It is 7, as you'll see from the edit. Whether they get a game or not is irrelevant to the point, i believe Danny was right to release alll of them. The point is they were proven players at senior level

Too much personal abuse. Relax, it's only football. The suns out, go and take a lie down and come back when you want to talk St Mirren.

Yeah you're right. Of the 16 that won the League Cup only 8 were free agents. That Thompson's rubbish isn't he?

lol.gif

Yes, Thompson is real quality and he signed for special reasons - as I said - that seldom happens.

None of the other free agents in that cup winning side have the quality of John McGinn, do they? whistling.gif

Here fishy fishy fishy fishy.....

I like McGowan, he's quality. I was backing him in his first season with Saints while all and sundry on this site were slagging him off... whistling.gif

However, I reckon the emergence of McGinn and the signing of Harkins mean that he wouldn't have been the big loss that McAusland would have been.

Big, no nonsense centre halves who can do a decent job are thin on the ground. I reckon we'd have struggled to replace McAusland.

Yeh, Carey, Guy & Imrie were proven to be unable to hold down a regular starting slot at senior level! :lol:

Guys like Frank McAvennie, Peter Weir, Paul Lambert, Norrie McWhirter, Steve Clarke, etc were unproven youths. They all made an immediate impact at senior level.

I have no problem with replacing "proven senior" journeymen with unproven youngsters... if they are good enough.

Can you honestly tell us that Brady, Kelly & Yaqub aren't good enough?