Danny Says No More Signings

My prediction is that, while other clubs have been signing up the shite like Barr, Easton, Saunders and Gordon that Danny Lennon will land at least 2 real quality loan signings that will blow the others out the water.

Unfortunately, unless he abandons the policy of fannying about at the back before losing the ball, we will still struggle.

What bearing does winning the League Cup have on our league season?

We finished as the 10th placed non Old Firm club last season. That is our worst league showing since promotion.

Sometimes I despair.

I think Lex and yourself should try to have offspring.

Or would that be termed self abuse?

A couple of names floating about. A bit of a gamble but riordon is still a free agent and training with Dumbarton and Steve simonsen is being looked at by rangers. I still think we need an experienced keeper of anything happens to Cornell injury or for wise. Don't know why we didn't sign him in the 1st place!

A couple of names floating about. A bit of a gamble but riordon is still a free agent and training with Dumbarton and Steve simonsen is being looked at by rangers. I still think we need an experienced keeper of anything happens to Cornell injury or for wise. Don't know why we didn't sign him in the 1st place!

We've got 2 keepers already. A third plus the youth keepers is over the score.

Riordan? thumbdown.gif

Let me get this straight......................we're top 6 then we're not within 6 weeks?

Night night Casper, see through is so last season. bye1.gif

That's what happens when other clubs make several signings and we make hardly any sadly. It's players that get you to the top 6, we had one of the top 6 squads in the country 6 weeks ago, we don't now. I don't see what's so hard for you to understand about that.

Why this is i don't know. Maybe it's not the fault of Danny Lennon. Maybe he's been told by the BoD that he needs to cut his wage budget by 50%. Maybe that's why we've released/sacked 7 first team players and not replaced them. Maybe that's why we're going into an SPL season for the first time in my memory without an experienced SPL keeper.

Easton? A fat waster who managed 3 games for Burnley, nearly chucked football to become a brickie and was crap for Dundee.

Saunders? A decent player , but horrendously injury prone. Most 'Well fans didn't bat an eyelid when he left.

Gordon? Great the first time for Killie, but was decidedly average the second time. He's then spent the rest of his time being loaned to other clubs and being sent back to his parent clubs because he couldn't get a game.

I'll not be losing any sleep because we've "missed out" on any of these players.

Also, could you highlight the numerous other potential targets that we should be trying to sign, that would improve our squad and at a cost we can afford?

I love this snobbery coming from this thread. I hate to break this to you, we are St Mirren, not Real Madrid. We won't be able to pick up world class players on free transfers i'm afraid.

Easton was a key part of the Accies side that finished 7th a few years ago, a position we've never managed to match in the SPL. Are you seriously saying that because he never made it in the Championship he isn't good enough for us? Do i need to list SPL stars who failed in the Championship to blow this argument out the water, or do you get the point? Who says he was crap at Dundee incidentally? Not the Dundee fans, they were desperate to keep him.

Killie fans were also desperate to sign Gordon and many fans on this board are placing our defensive hopes on a player far more injury prone than Saunders.

I love how all these players who are deemed good enough by the management teams of Killie, St Johnstone and Ross County - teams who all finished above us last season - are definitely not good enough for us. Who do we think we are exactly? I've got a feeling the rhetoric would have been different had we signed them, but that's hypothetical. What are we expecting? How many Scotland caps makes a player good enough for us? How many major titles? How many games in Europe? How many hundred SPL games?

In the past 10 years, I think Gus (and Danny to a lesser extent) have been far too tentative in giving our academy players a chance in the first team.

Yes we've had some that have been given a proper chance (McGinn for example) and taken it. There have been many more others though who spend years at the club and are then released with a few unused sub appearances to their name. Would any of them made it? Possibly not many, but I'd rather have given them a chance than the many journeymen who we've had come and go.

Compared to other clubs in the league we don't give as many of our youths a chance, and it's surprising considering the reputation we have amongst parents and the facilities at our disposal. If the club has the confidence to replace benchwarmers like Guy, Parkin and Imrie with guys who have come through the ranks then I think it's a step forward.

In the past 10 years, I think Gus (and Danny to a lesser extent) have been far too tentative in giving our academy players a chance in the first team.

Yes we've had some that have been given a proper chance (McGinn for example) and taken it. There have been many more others though who spend years at the club and are then released with a few unused sub appearances to their name. Would any of them made it? Possibly not many, but I'd rather have given them a chance than the many journeymen who we've had come and go.

Compared to other clubs in the league we don't give as many of our youths a chance, and it's surprising considering the reputation we have amongst parents and the facilities at our disposal. If the club has the confidence to replace benchwarmers like Guy, Parkin and Imrie with guys who have come through the ranks then I think it's a step forward.

I'm for giving young players a chance too, but as things stand, what do we do if Thommo gets injured? I'm not even talking about a long term injury either. Come to that, what if Reilly gets injured? I keep asking the same question - if Thommo gets a knock and goes off, Vanzy feeds Teale, Teale takes on the full back or simply whips in a cross for who to attack...McGowan? Reilly?

My pants are as dry as the greens at Muirfield, but we definitely need a couple of signings or loanees in the two areas we are clearly lacking. Big striker and left back. There's plenty of time, no need to panic. Yet.

Maybe that's why we're going into an SPL season for the first time in my memory without an experienced SPL keeper.

Ludo Roy and Chris Smith had never played in the SPL, don't think Tony Bullock had either and Craig Samson had hardly played in the SPL. And lets be honest,Sammy hardly arrived at the door with a glowing CV.

I'd say I feel a bit more comfortable approaching the new season with Cornell as first choice than I would if Smith and Howard were. It's based on nothing other than I like Swansea and he's featured on their bench!

Edit: I see Bullock had played 30 games for Dundee United in the SPL....the rest still stand though!

Edited by aldo_j

Ludo Roy and Chris Smith had never played in the SPL, don't think Tony Bullock had either and Craig Samson had hardly played in the SPL. And lets be honest,Sammy hardly arrived at the door with a glowing CV.

I'd say I feel a bit more comfortable approaching the new season with Cornell as first choice than I would if Smith and Howard were. It's based on nothing other than I like Swansea and he's featured on their bench!

Edit: I see Bullock had played 30 games for Dundee United in the SPL....the rest still stand though!

Samson arrived as number 2 to Gallacher. The season he became number 1 we had G Smith as back up, an experienced SPL keeper. As you mentioned Bullock was experienced in the SPL. The only season we haven't had an experienced SPL keeper at this stage was 2000/2001, the year we got relegated.

We don't know if Cornell is good enough, that's the point. Maybe he will be, maybe he won't be. We sure as hell need to hope he is though, because without him it's going to be our u20 keeper.

That's the main point at the end of te day. We had a team worthy of top 6 just 6 weeks ago and now we don't.

It's quite evident this is due to cost cutting. Even if we bring in 2 top players now we will still not have as strong a squad as last season.

You can say what you like about Carey, imrie, guy, Parkin etc but they were far better back up options than we have now! We should be moving forward instead of backwards!

That's the main point at the end of te day. We had a team worthy of top 6 just 6 weeks ago and now we don't.

It's quite evident this is due to cost cutting. Even if we bring in 2 top players now we will still not have as strong a squad as last season.

You can say what you like about Carey, imrie, guy, Parkin etc but they were far better back up options than we have now! We should be moving forward instead of backwards!

In theory yes...those guys were better options as backup. But in reality they produced a combined 10 goals and even fewer assists all season.

Better to give youth a chance as they can't do any worse. The guys we let to are the reason we finished 11th as they gave no support to the first choice 11.

Everyone knows we are 2 or 3 players short. I'm sure that will be rectified soon. Loans usually happen late in the window.

As for Cornell...by all accounts he is highly rated at Swansea. And untested keepers such as ruddy and Randolph certainly aided Motherwell. Seems like a good signing for us.

That's what happens when other clubs make several signings and we make hardly any sadly. It's players that get you to the top 6, we had one of the top 6 squads in the country 6 weeks ago, we don't now. I don't see what's so hard for you to understand about that.

Why this is i don't know. Maybe it's not the fault of Danny Lennon. Maybe he's been told by the BoD that he needs to cut his wage budget by 50%. Maybe that's why we've released/sacked 7 first team players and not replaced them. Maybe that's why we're going into an SPL season for the first time in my memory without an experienced SPL keeper.

I love this snobbery coming from this thread. I hate to break this to you, we are St Mirren, not Real Madrid. We won't be able to pick up world class players on free transfers i'm afraid.

Easton was a key part of the Accies side that finished 7th a few years ago, a position we've never managed to match in the SPL. Are you seriously saying that because he never made it in the Championship he isn't good enough for us? Do i need to list SPL stars who failed in the Championship to blow this argument out the water, or do you get the point? Who says he was crap at Dundee incidentally? Not the Dundee fans, they were desperate to keep him.

Killie fans were also desperate to sign Gordon and many fans on this board are placing our defensive hopes on a player far more injury prone than Saunders.

I love how all these players who are deemed good enough by the management teams of Killie, St Johnstone and Ross County - teams who all finished above us last season - are definitely not good enough for us. Who do we think we are exactly? I've got a feeling the rhetoric would have been different had we signed them, but that's hypothetical. What are we expecting? How many Scotland caps makes a player good enough for us? How many major titles? How many games in Europe? How many hundred SPL games?

It's called having an opinion rather than assuming that what we post is always correct.

Plenty others agree with me. You don't. I'll not lose any sleep over that either.

I happen to think that these other teams have signed lesser players than we eventually will. I may be wrong. Then again , I might not be.

I prefer to judge a player on their most recent form as opposed to their past "glories".

I'm for giving young players a chance too, but as things stand, what do we do if Thommo gets injured? I'm not even talking about a long term injury either. Come to that, what if Reilly gets injured? I keep asking the same question - if Thommo gets a knock and goes off, Vanzy feeds Teale, Teale takes on the full back or simply whips in a cross for who to attack...McGowan? Reilly?

My pants are as dry as the greens at Muirfield, but we definitely need a couple of signings or loanees in the two areas we are clearly lacking. Big striker and left back. There's plenty of time, no need to panic. Yet.

Yeah, we've never had suitable cover for Thompson and have been lucky that he's not been out for any period of time. Parkin & Guy were plodders and I think we'd have struggled if we'd had to rely on them. His most effective partners were, in my opinion, Nigel and Isma. Both 21 year old guys with something to prove who were a bit different to most centre forwards.

How does Danny spend his money? Commit to a wage on another journeyman, free agent like Daryl Duffy or Colin Nish? Hang on with what we've got and see if an Isma turns up? Tricky....

As for left back, Sean Kelly picked up some experience in the 3rd division and seems to be well thought of. Barron will be fit again too. I think Lennon will go with those two for the first few games. If we look really shaky then he can still get someone in by the end of August.

Edited by Julian Banjos

Yeah, we've never had suitable cover for Thompson and have been lucky that he's not been out for any period of time. Parkin & Guy were plodders and I think we'd have struggled if we'd had to rely on them. His most effective partners were, in my opinion, Nigel and Isma. Both 21 year old guys with something to prove who were a bit different to most centre forwards.

How does Danny spend his money? Commit to a wage on another journeyman, free agent like Daryl Duffy or Colin Nish? Hang on with what we've got and see if an Isma turns up? Tricky....

As for left back, Sean Kelly picked up some experience in the 3rd division and seems to be well thought of. Barron will be fit again too. I think Lennon will go with those two for the first few games. If we look really shaky then he can still get someone in by the end of August.

When.

For SPL teams the trick is keeping the good players more than getting new players in. We've done that with only the loan players being a loss (and to be honest the two newcastle boys were not great in the league). If we can get good loan players in and a few more boys break into the first team then we will be stronger than last year. We've kept McGowan, Teale, McGinn, McLean , Thompson. Hibs have lost Griffiths, Hearts have lost an entire team, Motherwell have lost Humphries, Higdon, Law Hately,Dundee United have lost Dixon, Flood, Russel. Only Aberdeen and Motherwell have really managed to strengthen/ replace players.

It think we could make top 6thumbup2.gif

Edited by insaintee

Who's to say the current squad won't finish top 6. No one knows whats going to happen as we are still 2 weeks away from a ball being kicked in anger. Any squad cannot be judged 2 weeks BEFORE a season starts ffs ! Lets reserve judgement until we have played each team at least once by which time the squad will have been finalized and will have started to bed down. The weather may be bone dry but as usual this place is wringing.

If they genuinely were better options we would not have let them go.

Who's to say the current squad won't finish top 6. No one knows whats going to happen as we are still 2 weeks away from a ball being kicked in anger. Any squad cannot be judged 2 weeks BEFORE a season starts ffs ! Lets reserve judgement until we have played each team at least once by which time the squad will have been finalized and will have started to bed down. The weather may be bone dry but as usual this place is wringing.

I don't agree that you can't judge a squad. But in saying that, so far I think we have a good squad and still expect it be strengthened

I don't think it is dithering I just don't think our board want to part with any money!

Our board do a great job in keeping the club in the black, Its been proved that throwing money about you don't have doesn't work, Ask Rangers Hearts and The Pars, Im sure if there is money in the kitty the board will make it available to DL,