Danny Says No More Signings

Yeh, Carey, Guy & Imrie were proven to be unable to hold down a regular starting slot at senior level! lol.gif:

No they weren't :1eye

Guys like Frank McAvennie, Peter Weir, Paul Lambert, Norrie McWhirter, Steve Clarke, etc were unproven youths. They all made an immediate impact at senior level.

I have no problem with replacing "proven senior" journeymen with unproven youngsters... if they are good enough.

Can you honestly tell us that Brady, Kelly & Yaqub aren't good enough?

I'm sure they were. For fairness sake, i think you should list the unproven youths who made no impact at senior level, then we shall compare lists. I bet mines is longer :wink:
About 10% of players who have a professional contract at 18 still have one when they're 21. Maybe they are good enough, no one knows. Let's hope they are.

With McLean injured and Barron struggling again are we really going to start the season with 11 players with any experience at SPL level at all?

I was quite supportive of Danny when he gambled a little on stripping the squad to a mimimum to provide some quality. The football and style played was much better to watch even if it didn't reflect so well in our league position, right from that televised Dunfermline game when I thought Jesus look at these guys play... I've waited since the early 80's to see Saints play it around again like this.
But to go with the current squad with no additions would be near suicidal and I mean Hearts level or better by Christmas.

Even from that 11 we've a centre half who's recent 2 seasons of injury probably only give him at best 50/50 odds of an uninterupted season before even considering suspensions where we will have Goodwin inevitably missing games such is the referees attitude to him.

Danny's has got the off-field player dealings and team set up right more than wrong in his time. (more so than tactics and selections and his first season substitutions) so I do trust he knows what he's doing and has plans.

Have to say I'm quite concerned this year.

No they weren't 1eye.gif

I'm sure they were. For fairness sake, i think you should list the unproven youths who made no impact at senior level, then we shall compare lists. I bet mines is longer wink.png
About 10% of players who have a professional contract at 18 still have one when they're 21. Maybe they are good enough, no one knows. Let's hope they are.

John McGinn is better than Imrie, Guy & Carey surely?

All of the youths who were good enough for senior level have proved to be good enough for senior level. whistling.gif

I really don't care whether a player is experienced or other wise. As long as they are good enough then that is all that matters.

Pish. We need no more than 2 - a striker and a left back and I'm not convinced we need a left back either.

More pish! Until this morning McFadden hadn't signed with Motherwell and was theoretically available. Is he guff?

As regards the budget, you're as bad at basic arithmetic as you are at whining like a bitch.

We've terminated the contracts of several players a year early. That would not have been cheap. As said above, it's also likely that McGowan is on more money this year and so to expect the same number in as we let go is just the inane mutterings of a thick ****.

Even a numpty should be able to understand the situation we're in right now.

You've also ignored the fact that MacGregor has returned and is like a new player but hey don't let facts and commonsense get in the way of another whining rant.

What an idiot you are. We have 1 striker plus Reilly and no left back and your fine. Dear o dear a happy clapping idiot

Imrie, Carey & Guy weren't holding down regular slots at St. Mirren.

That is the proof! 1eye.gif

I know that, and they were right to be released. The point is they were proven senior pros at other clubs. Weren't you making a case for Guy and Parkin being good back up a few days ago? They were rubbish, but they got a few important goals between them, because they were senior pros.

I was pleased when we released them as i believed we were going to be bringing in better players to replace them. I never thought for a second we'd be bringing in no one to replace them. Two strikers out, none in, two weeks to go. Did anyone expect that?

John McGinn is better than Imrie, Guy & Carey surely?

All of the youths who were good enough for senior level have proved to be good enough for senior level. whistling.gif

I really don't care whether a player is experienced or other wise. As long as they are good enough then that is all that matters.

John McGinn is better than Imrie, Guy and Carey yes?

Love the second point. I agree with you, if they're good enough they should play. John McGinn was good enough last year, he played, fantastic. Kelly, Yaqub and Brady weren't deemed good enough last year, even in uncompetitive games at the end of the season. Why weren't they? If they were suddenly going to become integral parts of our squad - which it looks like they are - why didn't the manager give them more than 2 sub appearances between the 3 of them? Kelly's the oldest of the four, yet he's the only one who hasn't played. Apparently he's our new first choice left back!

The stats speak for themselves. The fact is the vast majority of academy graduates who earn first team squad numbers don't go on to make it in the first team. This is true of every club, not just ours. We've had 2 from the academy establish themselves in the first team in the last 3 seasons - McGinn and McLean. How many haven't made it? 20?

Maybe Brady, Kelly, Yaqub, Naismith, Scullion, Hughes etc will all turn out to be McLeans and McGinns. Pretty unlikely though!

Edited by Lex

Kelly / Yaqub might be excellet LB's - we will never know unless we give them a go. Let one or both have a go in the first few games and if they look the part great problem solved if they dont look up to it Danny has until 31 Aug to get a decent LB in leaving the 2 younger players as cover. Not too difficult to think this will be the way DL / the club are thinking. To say we dont have a LB at the club is just wrong - we have 2 and we will see in the next 4-6 games if they are upto the job. Why rush out and spunk cash on an allegedly reliable LB if we have 2 perfectly reliable ones currently within the squad (3 if we assume Barron can still perform in a role where he won POTY a few seasons back)

We've been knocked back by the green bigots in a bid to sign Tony Watt.

Direct quotes from our manager in today's PDE.

This is despite our resident knickerwetters informing us that we won't be signing anyone or aren't trying to sign players of quality.

"I am always interested in good players and there are some that I would like to bring in, but whether that's on loan or on a permanent basis, that remains to be seen.

The deal has to be right, but until the transfer window shuts there is always the possibility of movement within our squad."

This is despite our resident knickerwetters informing us that we won't be signing anyone or aren't trying to sign players of quality.

"I am always interested in good players and there are some that I would like to bring in, but whether that's on loan or on a permanent basis, that remains to be seen.

The deal has to be right, but until the transfer window shuts there is always the possibility of movement within our squad."

Football managers make promises in the press all the time. Rarely go through with them.

Brilliant. 2 strikers at the club. What strength in depth we have.

Just a thought here. If Steven Thompson gets a bad injury, we're f**ked. Proper f**ked.

What's the f**king problem?

We'll get at least another striker in. We've got a month and a half to do so and there are plenty out there.

What's the f**king problem?

We'll get at least another striker in. We've got a month and a half to do so and there are plenty out there.

The 'f**king' problem is that I'd quite like to have had a squad assembled by this stage which could make me anticipate the new season with a great deal more confidence than I have currently.

Kelly / Yaqub might be excellet LB's - we will never know unless we give them a go. Let one or both have a go in the first few games and if they look the part great problem solved if they dont look up to it Danny has until 31 Aug to get a decent LB in leaving the 2 younger players as cover. Not too difficult to think this will be the way DL / the club are thinking. To say we dont have a LB at the club is just wrong - we have 2 and we will see in the next 4-6 games if they are upto the job. Why rush out and spunk cash on an allegedly reliable LB if we have 2 perfectly reliable ones currently within the squad (3 if we assume Barron can still perform in a role where he won POTY a few seasons back)

Sean Kelly starts today.

Let's have lots of support for the lad.

Brilliant. 2 strikers at the club. What strength in depth we have.

Just a thought here. If Steven Thompson gets a bad injury, we're f**ked. Proper f**ked.

So we have additional strikers and they are also injured or suspended, then what? If Thommo gets injured then we will struggle like any other team that loses their main striker. We then need to rely on others to get the goals much like we have done in decades. We really have to go back to Basher and Yards when we had two main strikers and if one got injured then we relied on others within the team to help out in the goal scoring area. Before then it was Somner and McDougall. Let's wait and see if another front man comes in before we all begin to wet ourselves even further.

So we have additional strikers and they are also injured or suspended, then what? If Thommo gets injured then we will struggle like any other team that loses their main striker. We then need to rely on others to get the goals much like we have done in decades. We really have to go back to Basher and Yards when we had two main strikers and if one got injured then we relied on others within the team to help out in the goal scoring area. Before then it was Somner and McDougall. Let's wait and see if another front man comes in before we all begin to wet ourselves even further.

Your first line is rather strange. We don't. And at the moment, as I see it, we have 2 recognised strikers. If one gets injured, we have only one. One of our strikers is our best player. One we rely on heavily. He'll need to wear a cotton wool strip this season and ban referees from booking him.

This is ok. It was always a long shot that we could come up with the money 3K a week (half his wages) would make him just about the top paid player at the club. It would have been a big gamble and probably the money will be better spent else where. This is has been going on for ages and now its dead and buried expect to see more movement on the transfer front.

Three years ago during the infamous Summer of Beath DL signed every mediocre player that became available (at least that's how it seemed at the time) since then he's become a little more canny and I suspect he has the funds to sign another 2 or 3 players but is playing pre-season poker and trying to get the best VFM within his budget.

I'm not overly worried as yet however I reserve the right to change my mind say I told you so all along. whistling.gif

I think once people watch Kelly today the urgency for a left back will calm a little.

He's fast, strong and a pretty decent player. I can see him playing there all season.

Are you watching him today?

I'm more worried now than I was 40 minutes ago, and I was pretty worrie then.