Trip To Dumfries.

Just back from the game, as has already been said we did not have a good performance at all, the defence looked very fragile. The new goalie looked quite good however and made a few great saves. Though harkins had a good game tonight, took his goal very well and probably was our best player. Although its only a friendly you never want to see us lose so comfortably to a first division team.

Pre-season friendlies should all be behind closed doors and no paying public. It's the same old bollocks every season. You pay a tenner to see us get pumped by Morton, or folk travel down to see us get pumped by Queens of the Stone Age, and before the season has even started, you're pissed off about our prospects. I've got a ticket for the Newcastle game simply because it's my English team. If it had been, let's say, MK Dons or Swindon, I wouldn't be anywhere near it.

If we get pumped 4-2 at Inverness - that's the time to start worrying.

Do you think we have any chance in Inverness with the current team? I think a small chance but this will depend on us having all our tiny squad fit. Really is a disgrace that after winning the cup and getting some good cash we have a much worse squad in numbers and competition for places. Piss poor from saints

surface was same for both teams ,its just down so don't imagine they have had many games on it if any?,patterns needs addressing .shit defenders who cant defend ,same patterns since you came danny ,nothing changing very quickly,now we have too many defenders ,(mair aint leaving)and the other 3 are rank rotten,but again same story for last 2 seasons,but hey 4 results in the cup mask over everything??????

Edited by saltcoatsbuddie

We conceded 60 goals in the league last season. Our worst "goals against" in the 7 seasons we've been back in the SPL.

Samson, Dummett out. McGregor, Cornell / Dilo, (maybe Grainger) in. Are we going to keep it below 60 this season? Pretty doubtful.

We'll need Thompson to get his 16 again and a few others to pitch in.

Do you think we have any chance in Inverness with the current team? I think a small chance but this will depend on us having all our tiny squad fit. Really is a disgrace that after winning the cup and getting some good cash we have a much worse squad in numbers and competition for places. Piss poor from saints

Norrie you promised you'd give us a break from this negative pish.

It seems there are very few on here who understand what a pre-season game is for.

They are borderline non-competitive. A chance for players to get fit and for the team to try some things out and a bit of fun for the fans to see how a professional football team prepares itself for a new season.

To compare the last 3 games with Inverness is brainless. Seriously. You did this last year after our 6 defeats in a row when you asked "Can you see us winning next week blah blah blah....." before we went off and went on a long and largely unbeaten stretch culminating in our Cup win.

Please FFS stop the negative pish. It sucks the life out of people.

Let's see how the first 10 games progress. Nobody cares about your prediction for when Danny will get the boot.

but hey 4 results in the cup mask over everything??????

Well, yes. To a large extent they (the 5 league cup results) do. The seasons that stick in my mind over the years, are '77, '80, 87, '00, '05 and '13. It is no coincidence that these are the years we won things. I'll never forget 1987, for example, but I can't remember a thing about '86 and '88.

For clubs like us it is ALL about winning something concrete. And if we can win a major trophy we are in dreamland. This time last year, I genuinely believed I'd never see us win a major trophy again, so I'm pretty relaxed about all this just now.

Sure no-one likes getting gubbed in any game, friendly or otherwise. But does it really matter? Compared to 17th March earlier this year? Nah. This time last year, we'd never heard of Goncalves or Newton and Dummett was just another thread on the rumour mill, if that. The time to be good is from December onwards. Not July in the pre-season.

Anyone know why Cornell wasn't even in the squad? Think Danny has been so unimpressed by what he's seen of him so far he's actually considering starting Dilo against Inverness?

He was injured. Got a calf knock on Saturday.

One so-so game does not make him a bad 'keeper. Samson had plenty of stinkers for us and he's been deemed a decent 'keeper by the majority of our support.

Let's see how he's performed when (or if) he gets a settled run in the team. Although having four underachieving diddies playing in front of him, he hasn't got the easiest of tasks.

Edited by FTOF

If we get a result in Inverness all of our pre season will be instantly forgotten.

If we don't though...

This much is true. Do well in the first competitive games and all is OK with the world.

However I think it is understandable that people are concerned with these pre-season results. I know we're told it's all about fitness, tactics, gelling and it is to an extent. Getting beaten pre-season isn't earth shattering however we've put out strong teams and have been gubbed by 2 lower league sides and lost 4 goals every game. Indeed people at the game say Queens missed a string of chances too.

Such results can't be good for morale, and I think trying to convince people it's all about fitness is equivalent to putting fingers in the ears and shouting at the moment. Time with tell, but performances and results have been woeful.

Last night was hard to watch but just after the break we showed some real promise- we were on top for a bit but the penalty just killed us again!!

Grainger looked good but the mixing about of formation didn't really help anyone!

I think Danny's comment about the defenders was a bit tongue in cheek - in the 1st half we had 6 defenders in a line at times with Dillon, Harkins, Thommo and Reilly attempting to get the ball!

It was terrible to watch!

I know it was a friendly and it means nothing but Queens thoroughly deserved to win last night! Their pace and passing was frightening at points!

We desperately need a sticker or two, a left winger and if Grainger signs then he could be the answer to our left back problem!

We also have to remember that last night we were missing McGowan and McGinn plus McLean and Barron are injured too!

I thought Dillo was okay last night- just unfortunate that he was left exposed on so many occasions!

He was injured. Got a calf knock on Saturday.

One so-so game does not make him a bad 'keeper. Samson had plenty of stinkers for us and he's been deemed a decent 'keeper by the majority of our support.

Let's see how he's performed when (or if) he gets a settled run in the team. Although having four underachieving diddies playing in front of him, he hasn't got the easiest of tasks.

I never mentioned one game. He played in Spain aswell and Danny has obviously had a good look at him in training.

What's the word on the injury? Any idea how long he will be out for? He going to make Inverness or are we going to be going up there with two teenage goalies? The last thing we need is an injury prone keeper.

Contrast that with the interview a few weeks ago. The theme in that one was ' I'm happy with the squad at the moment '. People on here said he was playing mind games with agents, since then there has been no new signings, so perhaps he really was happy.

It's a shame it took two humpings in pre season games for the manager to see what some of us have seen for weeks. What an absolute nightmare of a summer the manager has had up until now.

Contrast that with the interview a few weeks ago. The theme in that one was ' I'm happy with the squad at the moment '. People on here said he was playing mind games with agents, since then there has been no new signings, so perhaps he really was happy.

It's a shame it took two humpings in pre season games for the manager to see what some of us have seen for weeks. What an absolute nightmare of a summer the manager has had up until now.

Perhaps it was mind games with agents and other players.

If we had had good pre season results then Danny could have been a wee bit blasé at signing talks.

Unfortunately agents will be smelling sh*te.

Panini? Got, got, got, neeeed! Need that one! Swap ya my foil West Ham badge for Campbell Money!

By the way, have you seen the new Panini sticker albums? Load of shite. No footballers - just a lot of posh sandwiches.

Haha! Bloody autocorrect on the iPhone!! I obviously meant striker! :)

I never mentioned one game. He played in Spain aswell and Danny has obviously had a good look at him in training.

What's the word on the injury? Any idea how long he will be out for? He going to make Inverness or are we going to be going up there with two teenage goalies? The last thing we need is an injury prone keeper.

There are plenty on here who have apparently made up their minds on the strength of one game v Morton, that Cornell "will not do" or is "shite" as I heard one halfwit saying on the way out on Saturday.

Injury prone? He got a knock on his calf and wasn't risked last night.

http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk/renfrewshire-sport/renfrewshire-football/renfrewshire-football-st-mirren/2013/07/24/dilo-to-get-the-nod-at-palmerston-87085-33646083/

I'd also suggest that if you want to be kept informed of what's happening with Saints in general, then put this link on your favourites.

http://www.paisleydailyexpress.co.uk/renfrewshire-sport/renfrewshire-football/renfrewshire-football-st-mirren/2013/07/24/dilo-to-get-the-nod-at-palmerston-87085-33646083/