Next St Mirren Manager

Butcher has ruled himself out of the running for the Motherwell job.

Not really a surprise. A few months ago he was saying he was finished with Scottish Football. He's also a very expensive option for Scottish Football clubs because he comes as a double act with Maurice Malpas. I could understand the sentimentality of him being linked with the Motherwell job but I can see no reason for him being linked with the one in Paisley

After 10 years, lo.

ngwell has earned us no transfer fees, we sit 2nd bottom with a number of his players and he had failed to find us a centre half or striker

longwell is a failure and should go

I thought we got 'fees' for Kirk Broadfoot, Simon Lappin and Stephen McGinn? All of these lad's came through the youth set up but quite sure when David Longwell would have involved in coaching them but I think he must have at some poin. I know Kirk joined us from Hibs at 17 year's of age.

This poster sounds like a disgruntled former player or parent of a former youth player. Very unhappy at David anyway. I have a lot of time for David Longwell and think he is doing a fine job.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Alex Neil to be honest. Are St Mirren fans accepting that Hamilton Accies are a bigger club these days and assuming that he wouldn't want to move down the league to a diddy club?

I think we are accepting that the club won't pay serious compensation for anyone, did Neil not sign a new deal not long ago?

I think we are accepting that the club won't pay serious compensation for anyone, did Neil not sign a new deal not long ago?

One year rolling contract in July 2014. He's still a player too, and one who could probably solve a problem or two in the St Mirren side. It just seems strange that there isn't more of a clamour for a manager who has clearly done extremely well this season.

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about Alex Neil to be honest. Are St Mirren fans accepting that Hamilton Accies are a bigger club these days and assuming that he wouldn't want to move down the league to a diddy club?

Like Motherwell for example?

I thought we got 'fees' for Kirk Broadfoot, Simon Lappin and Stephen McGinn? All of these lad's came through the youth set up but quite sure when David Longwell would have involved in coaching them but I think he must have at some poin. I know Kirk joined us from Hibs at 17 year's of age.

This poster sounds like a disgruntled former player or parent of a former youth player. Very unhappy at David anyway. I have a lot of time for David Longwell and think he is doing a fine job.

I don't think Longwell worked with Broadfoot. Broadfoot arrived at St Mirren from Hibs as a first team player.

Cause he'd cost a lot of compensation and I'm sure he's destined for a club who can afford to pay this and give him a hike in wages

Why would he cost a lot in compensation? He's a player/manager of a small club who certainly don't pay big money, with a one year rolling contract. This board of directors has previously signed managers who were under contract elsewhere in Tom Hendrie and in Danny Lennon both of whom were untried at the top level.

Two questions: :unsure:

1. You were 'with him...' in what sense?

2. Who or what was he not interested in?

If ye're gaunie name-drop.... :P

Ha , yes let me clarify.

I was with him at Moortown golf club in Leeds. His membership is at that club.

He is not interested in managing St Mirren , quite enjoying his TV work just now but hasn't ruled out getting back into management.

Eta: I will probably see him next week or the week after , I will gladly ask him questions on other peoples behalf :P

Edited by whydowebother

Jimmy Calderwood @ 33/1 looks like massive odds, given that SG has already implied that we're needing a guy who can wheel and deal with good contacts to have a successful window in January.

Has Jimmy Calderwood ever wheeled and dealt? To me he has always come across as a guy that needs a bit of money behind him. More often than not the clubs he has been at are left in financial difficulty.

Has Jimmy Calderwood ever wheeled and dealt? To me he has always come across as a guy that needs a bit of money behind him. More often than not the clubs he has been at are left in financial difficulty.

Fair play, he's always struck me as the type though, with quite a high turnover of players in and out, especially at Aberdeen and his short spell at Killie. That in no way though is me saying I want him there, just that his price looks bigger than it perhaps should be.

Here are the latest odds and runners from McBookie.com;

Barry Smith7/4

Gary Teale3/1

Steven Thompson5/1

Billy Stark8/1

Ian Murray14/1

Jim Goodwin33/1

Terry Butcher 33/1

Jimmy Calderwood33/1

Jim McInally33/1

Derek Adams 33/1

Stuart McCall 33/1

Colin Calderwood33/1

Nolberto Solano33/1

Steve Lomas33/1

Dougie Freedman33/1

Gary Locke33/1

Mitchell van der Gaag33/1

Robert Maaskant33/1

Eric Black33/1

Scott Leitch33/1

Aidy Boothroyd33/1

Alan Johnston33/1

Alan Stubbs33/1

Alex Neil33/1

Steve Clarke33/1

Steven Aitken 33/1

Maurice Malpas33/1

Stephen Craigan 33/1

Ally McCoist40/1

Kenny Black 40/1

Kenny Shiels40/1

Robbie Neilson66/1

Graeme Souness66/1

Gary McAllister 66/1

Steven Pressley 66/1

Atli Edvaldsson66/1

Chris McCart66/1

Craig Brown 66/1

Csaba Laszio66/1

Scott Gemmill 66/1

Billy Davies66/1

Peter Houston66/1

Pat Fenlon66/1

Neil McCann 66/1

Mark McGhee66/1

Keith Lasley66/1

Jonatan Johansson66/1

John Kennedy66/1

John Hughes66/1

John Collins66/1

Jackie McNamara66/1

Ian Cathro66/1

Gus McPherson 66/1

Wouldn't be surprised to see someone from outside that list get the job, if they don't run with Teale.

I still think someone will be brought in to work with Teale if he does well over the coming weeks.

The more I look at the names banded about the more I'd be happy to give him a crack at it. I'd rather Teale than going for another young up and coming manager like Murray, Smith or Locke.

Edited by davidg

Ha , yes let me clarify.

I was with him at Moortown golf club in Leeds. His membership is at that club.

He is not interested in managing St Mirren , quite enjoying his TV work just now but hasn't ruled out getting back into management.

Eta: I will probably see him next week or the week after , I will gladly ask him questions on other peoples behalf :P

If you dare....

Ask him if he can imagine how I felt sitting in the Engerlish end at Wemberlee when he missed THAT penalty...

Then ask him if he felt as bad as I did when Gazza scored that brilliant goal... :(

Edited by bluto

No just that he's under contract and therefore would command a fee.

As Div said, we're in a really poor position, and somebody is going to have a rescue job. That puts a different slant on the appointment I think. When Lennon went, I would have taken Steve Lomas. His name still sticks out for me just now in a not-very-enticing list.

Given the position we are in though, I'd seriously consider Gary Locke. Instilled a great spirit in a team of kids (which is basically what we need) and would have kept them in the league had they not had the points deduction. Unlucky to lose his job in my opinion and the foundations he laid have Hearts running away with the Championship. Add in the fact that Killie will probably let him walk away for nothing then 33/1 looks a good bet to me.

The board will have to box clever with this appointment. If Teale doesn't get it then it will surely have to be somebody with experience of relegation battles.

Edited by Julian Banjos

Calderwood's successes were at clubs where he was given unsustainable amounts of money to spend. Any mug can outperform other managers of similar sized clubs if they have a soft-touch for a chairman. Given a level playing field Calderwood would have been no more successful than the rest. Also he is a buffoon and a joke figure with a perma-tan.

First I don't particularly want Calderwood but I think the criticism of him as only being successful due to overspending is a tad unfair, when managing Dunfermline & Aberdeen overspending was the norm he wasn't the only manager running up large debts, them was the times - with the exception of us it was pretty much a level playing field.

His stints at Killie & Ross County are more relevant and although I'm willing to be corrected if I'm wrong but IIRC he wasn't given huge sums by Killie & joined County after the transfer window closed.

Edited by Bud the Baker

If you dare....

Ask him if he can imagine how I felt sitting in the Engerlish end at Wemberlee when he missed THAT penalty...

Then ask him if he felt as bad as I did when Gazza scored that brilliant goal... sad.png

I would normally see him on a Monday , I don`t know his commitments over the festive period, however I actually will ask him when I next see him :)