Next St Mirren Manager

What I am certain of is there will no shortage of interest in the job from some very good managers both employed and unemployed.We are one of only four clubs who have their own training facilities yes Hearts train at Heriot Watt Univ and Thistle at Glasgow Univ whilst Killie and Hamilton simply train at their stadia.Then we have our new wonderful stadium some good young players and a decent potential home support.We have a lot going for us up to the BOD to get the right man.

Really? I can't see it to be honest. Any new man coming into the post will have no money to spend in January, a woefully poor squad of players, and a Board of Directors who have had the club up for sale for the best part of four years now - with all the instability that brings to the job too. Whoever takes the job on is going to have to organise a ramshackle defence to stop them from leaking goals and he's going to be heavily reliant on a 36 year old striker to outscore whatever the defence loses. And remember too that with the last two managers at least there's seems to have been a bizarre need to play Marc McAusland regardless of form or ability for whatever reason, whether that's directors influence of not.

There will be a number of applicants for the job but I wouldn't expect there to be many people on the list who are in full time employment currently. Div mentioned Tommy Wilson in an earlier post. He's completely untried as a team manager and he'd be welcomed by St Mirren fans everywhere, but even with his lack of experience and potential ambition to be his own man, he's currently got a very good, stable position at Philladelphia Union and I can't see him wanting to come back to Scotland unless his work visa is due to run out.

The BoD's history of managerial appointments at St Mirren would suggest that St Mirren will either give Teale the job on a permanent basis, or they will recruit a manager from a part time club in the lower leagues. At least they won't be so stupid as to interview Barry Ferguson this time round.....:rolleyes:

What I heard last night was SG saying that they know they need to find a gem, any money will go on his ( or hers- see Stirling) salary, which means they are looking for a proven maestro at wheeling and dealing, which gives a new appt a bit of time to get to see club, players and then go to work in Jan. No pay offs no compensations, no Barry Smiths, for me their is one obvious choice

Terry B

laugh.png I take it you can't remember the great job he did at Hibs last season,,, Don't go there FFS..

Here are the latest odds and runners from McBookie.com;

Barry Smith7/4
Gary Teale3/1
Steven Thompson5/1
Billy Stark8/1
Ian Murray14/1
Jim Goodwin33/1
Terry Butcher 33/1
Jimmy Calderwood33/1
Jim McInally33/1
Derek Adams 33/1
Stuart McCall 33/1
Colin Calderwood33/1
Nolberto Solano33/1
Steve Lomas33/1
Dougie Freedman33/1
Gary Locke33/1
Mitchell van der Gaag33/1
Robert Maaskant33/1
Eric Black33/1
Scott Leitch33/1
Aidy Boothroyd33/1
Alan Johnston33/1
Alan Stubbs33/1
Alex Neil33/1
Steve Clarke33/1
Steven Aitken 33/1
Maurice Malpas33/1
Stephen Craigan 33/1
Ally McCoist40/1
Kenny Black 40/1
Kenny Shiels40/1
Robbie Neilson66/1
Graeme Souness66/1
Gary McAllister 66/1
Steven Pressley 66/1
Atli Edvaldsson66/1
Chris McCart66/1
Craig Brown 66/1
Csaba Laszio66/1
Scott Gemmill 66/1
Billy Davies66/1
Peter Houston66/1
Pat Fenlon66/1
Neil McCann 66/1
Mark McGhee66/1
Keith Lasley66/1
Jonatan Johansson66/1
John Kennedy66/1
John Hughes66/1
John Collins66/1
Jackie McNamara66/1
Ian Cathro66/1
Gus McPherson 66/1

Barry Smith7/4

Gary Teale3/1

Steven Thompson5/1

Billy Stark8/1

Ian Murray14/1

Jim Goodwin33/1

Terry Butcher 33/1

Jimmy Calderwood33/1

Jim McInally33/1

Derek Adams 33/1

Stuart McCall 33/1

Colin Calderwood33/1

Nolberto Solano33/1

Steve Lomas33/1

Dougie Freedman33/1

Gary Locke33/1

Robert Maaskant33/1

Eric Black33/1

Scott Leitch33/1

Aidy Boothroyd33/1

Alan Johnston33/1

Alan Stubbs33/1

Alex Neil33/1

Steve Clarke33/1

Steven Aitken 33/1

Maurice Malpas33/1

Stephen Craigan 33/1

Ally McCoist40/1

Kenny Black 40/1

Kenny Shiels40/1

Robbie Neilson66/1

Graeme Souness66/1

Gary McAllister 66/1

Steven Pressley 66/1

Atli Edvaldsson66/1

Chris McCart66/1

Craig Brown 66/1

Csaba Laszio66/1

Scott Gemmill 66/1

Billy Davies66/1

Peter Houston66/1

Pat Fenlon66/1

Neil McCann 66/1

Mark McGhee66/1

Keith Lasley66/1

Jonatan Johansson66/1

John Kennedy66/1

John Hughes66/1

John Collins66/1

Jackie McNamara66/1

Ian Cathro66/1

Gus McPherson 66/1

Pod 1000/1

thumbdown.gif

I'd really like us not to go near Kenny Shiels. His record at Morton tells a sorry story, 4 wins in 20 matches ultimately ending with a 10-2 defeat. His record at Killie, is roughly as good as DL's with us except he burnt a higher wage bill.

I wonder if Billy Stark resigned from Scotland U21 in the hope this job will become available and knowing it'll remove any compensation clause if a 'new job' was to become available. I hope I'm wrong about that.

Butcher would be the wrong appointment at the moment IMO.

His methods clearly have an adverse affect initially, but work long term. See ICT, he relegated them at first, then they came back up stronger.

With Hibs he wasn't given time, and he wasn't at Brentford, Coventry Sunderland or Sydney. That's 5 clubs he's been sacked from. We don't have time to give him, we need a manager who's going to turn us around quickly.

Would have maybe worked in the summer IMO, but I don't think it will now. I also don't think he'd be interested.

I hope Teale and Longwell get to the Killie game on New Year's Day. If they can get a couple of wins between now and then I'd give them the nod.

Why would you want to repeat the previous mistakes in appointing yet another deputy. Yet again he was part of the previous problem. We need fresh ideas and a bit of experience. This will be a relegation dog fight and no place for a rookie manager. Imo Teale will only get it if we go on a winning run which seems unlikely before the transfer window opens.

He did a great job at ICT but tried to do too much too soon at Hibs.

The club had a real booze culture and he tried to get rid of all the tossers from the dressing room. He should have tackled this at the end of the season, not half way through.

Butcher would be a great appointment.

i agree to an extent

however, he failed to keep inverness up after taking over mid season

I think we have to be honest and say that no matter who we get in at this stage relegation this season is a distinct possibility.

The squad isn't "bad" but it is imbalanced and there are key problems to fix.

Without any funding it's hard to see how new recruits could be brought in without a few going out the other way.

January is never an easy month to trade in as generally speaking the players you want are under contract.

I'm not saying it's impossible, far from it, but we have to be realistic.

We are 8 points behing Partick Thistle in 9th and 12 behind St.Johnstone in 8th. That's a big gap for anyone to make up.

Our best hope at the moment is finishing top of the bottom three as I wouldn't fancy the lottery of a play off, even if a win over Rangers in the final would salvage an amazing end to an abysmal season !

Dont think the result against Celtic should go against them even if its a hiding, they only have a few days between taking over and going to parkhead all they can really do is get the guys up for it and pick the team.

Really i thought Teale was already a first team coach who fancied the big job?

Again we are accepting the board's cheap option, which to date has been an unmitigated disaster. You'd have thought by now they would have twigged about appointing people who were part if the failed previous regime?

Edit: on the basis that i don't believe Gary Teale has anything to offer as a permanent manager then in a sickening twist of self interest and belief there are much better options for the club and support then i would take a real pasting if it meant the board seeing sense an d appointing someone who has the experience, skill, belief and determination fir the fight of our top flight lives....!

If we go down then the fragile nature of the club might not survive!

Edited by Lord Pityme

After 10 years, longwell has earned us no transfer fees, we sit 2nd bottom with a number of his players and he had failed to find us a centre half or striker

longwell is a failure and should go

Thats a slight absurd argument fella.

The Youth Academy proper has only been in place for 4 years and in the first team we have McAusland, McLean, McGinn, Kelly, Naismith and Reilly who have all come through not to mention now the likes of Mallan, Baird and Brown who are now getting game time.

We could have sold John McGinn in the summer but knocked back the bid from Sheffield Utd. Kenny McLean could also have been sold a couple of times during his time with us.

Rome was not built in a day. The club is doing well at all Youth levels and the fruits of that are there for all to see. Hearts have a much vaunted youth setup yet we spanked them 7-0 at the weekend, so it's very unfair to just slam the whole setup without looking at the bigger picture.

Why not look at the positive aspects of what is going on at the club rather than putting a negative slant on everything ?

After 10 years, longwell has earned us no transfer fees, we sit 2nd bottom with a number of his players and he had failed to find us a centre half or striker

longwell is a failure and should go

Not quite the way i would have put it, however we need to keep the pressure on the board not to repeat THEIR mistake of appointing people from a failed regime..!

They seem obsessed with trying to get a shine on that turd?

I hope SG sticks a few £ million on the successful candidate before the bookies get a sniff.

Barry Smith7/4

Gary Teale3/1

Steven Thompson5/1

Billy Stark8/1

Ian Murray14/1

Jim Goodwin33/1

Terry Butcher 33/1

Jimmy Calderwood33/1

Jim McInally33/1

Derek Adams 33/1

Stuart McCall 33/1

Colin Calderwood33/1

Nolberto Solano33/1

Steve Lomas33/1

Dougie Freedman33/1

Gary Locke33/1

Robert Maaskant33/1

Eric Black33/1

Scott Leitch33/1

Aidy Boothroyd33/1

Alan Johnston33/1

Alan Stubbs33/1

Alex Neil33/1

Steve Clarke33/1

Steven Aitken 33/1

Maurice Malpas33/1

Stephen Craigan 33/1

Ally McCoist40/1

Kenny Black 40/1

Kenny Shiels40/1

Robbie Neilson66/1

Graeme Souness66/1

Gary McAllister 66/1

Steven Pressley 66/1

Atli Edvaldsson66/1

Chris McCart66/1

Craig Brown 66/1

Csaba Laszio66/1

Scott Gemmill 66/1

Billy Davies66/1

Peter Houston66/1

Pat Fenlon66/1

Neil McCann 66/1

Mark McGhee66/1

Keith Lasley66/1

Jonatan Johansson66/1

John Kennedy66/1

John Hughes66/1

John Collins66/1

Jackie McNamara66/1

Ian Cathro66/1

Gus McPherson 66/1

Why would anyone hold against Terry Butcher what happened at Hibs? Everyone is shite at Hibs, and Petrie bagged managers at every AGM to keep the heat away from himself.

Butcher inherited a toxic dressing room there with a distinct lack of character in it - as witnessed finally by the Accies capitulation after a good result at NDP.

Guest TPAFKATS

I've been following the results of the development squad recently (about 3 months) only seen 1 defeat I think, in that time. Not bad going especially as div points out we stuck 7 past hearts who seem to have been doing rather well on the development front in recent times.

I am torn regarding Butcher - I think he is needed in the short term to kick ass (kick doors as well) and generally sort out the pish we see on the park. I don't expect it to be pretty but it would be effective (hopefully). I'd like to see a 6 month deal initially as it would suit both parties.

Don't think Butcher is what we need long term though and I'm apprehensive of him making us the 3rd team he relegates from SPL