Next St Mirren Manager

Coughlin was an internal appointment after Hendrie

Gus was an internal appointment after Coughlin

Millen was offered the job once Gus left but declined it so we got Danny

Craig was an internal appointment after Danny left

If that isn't a pattern of preferring internal appointments I'm not sure what is !

It is a pattern (an intermittent one), not a cycle

It is a pattern (an intermittent one), not a cycle

Erm, aye ok then I can't really be arsed arguing about what you want to call it.

Fact is that we have appointed, or attempted to appoint our new manager from within the club at the last 4 consecutive changes.

I think it would be foolish to rule out the possibility of that happening again.

Butcher did really well at ICT but I know their fans were not that pleased with the style of football he deployed and the general feeling is that Hughes has them playing even better with pretty much the same personnel. He was a failure at Hibs, but then again so was Hughes, that job seems to be a bit of a poisoned chalice.

I don't see us paying compensation for a new manager to be honest so unless the likes of Smith and Murray have release clauses I'd say they were unlikely.

If there is even a glimmer of improvement from Teale/Longwell my hunch is that they will get the gig to the end of the season.

I agree, Jimmy Calderwood got Dunfermline up to 4th, Aberdeen to 3rd and regularly in Europe and saved Kilmarnock and Ross County from the drop.

I find it bizzare his name is always rubbished. He may have a massive orange bawheid but he is a good manager!

Maybe Sean Batty knows something, as he's place the country on Amber Alert.

We don't particularly need a manager who acts like a dick, bullies players and is there to give them a kick up the arse.

We need a manager that players respect & knows what he's doing. I think both Murray & Thommo would fit that role.

Ferguson and Clunie come to mind. Both successful

I think Terry Butcher is an excellent option , he is available , has contacts , people now who he is , and worth taking a chance on with a 2 and half year contract , he will also have the team playing with a bit of passion , and has a point to prove , get him in now , and he can get Steve Marsella working his magic

He did a great job at ICT but tried to do too much too soon at Hibs.

The club had a real booze culture and he tried to get rid of all the tossers from the dressing room. He should have tackled this at the end of the season, not half way through.

Butcher would be a great appointment.

Erm, aye ok then I can't really be arsed arguing about what you want to call it.

Fact is that we have appointed, or attempted to appoint our new manager from within the club at the last 4 consecutive changes.

I think it would be foolish to rule out the possibility of that happening again.

Butcher did really well at ICT but I know their fans were not that pleased with the style of football he deployed and the general feeling is that Hughes has them playing even better with pretty much the same personnel. He was a failure at Hibs, but then again so was Hughes, that job seems to be a bit of a poisoned chalice.

I don't see us paying compensation for a new manager to be honest so unless the likes of Smith and Murray have release clauses I'd say they were unlikely.

If there is even a glimmer of improvement from Teale/Longwell my hunch is that they will get the gig to the end of the season.

I'd like to see whoever is appointed - be it Teale or someone else - only get it to the end of the season, perhaps with a clause that if they keep us up the deal gets extended. That way if we go down we can bring in a new manager who doesn't have the baggage of a relegation (regardless of how much at fault they are for it) hanging around.

I would be pretty sure Butcher would have us relegated just as he managed at Inverness & Hibs.

What he achieved long-term at ICT far outweighs the immediate relegation, though.

he tried to get rid of all the tossers from the dressing room.

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/tel-will-take-action-after-ross-caldwell-spat-1-3216913

whistling.gif

Butcher would be the wrong appointment at the moment IMO.

His methods clearly have an adverse affect initially, but work long term. See ICT, he relegated them at first, then they came back up stronger.

With Hibs he wasn't given time, and he wasn't at Brentford, Coventry Sunderland or Sydney. That's 5 clubs he's been sacked from. We don't have time to give him, we need a manager who's going to turn us around quickly.

Would have maybe worked in the summer IMO, but I don't think it will now. I also don't think he'd be interested.

I hope Teale and Longwell get to the Killie game on New Year's Day. If they can get a couple of wins between now and then I'd give them the nod.

Edited by TopCat

28 years old, would certainly be an interesting appointment.

Can't imagine he'd leave the top end of the best league in the world for us though.

Just trying to make this forum interesting and to highlight the point that David Longwell has the same credentials as Ian Cathro in that you dont have to have played the game at a great level to be a good coach/manager.

Think Terry got totally stuffed at Hibs and lets face it the players and play last 15 games was actually wporse I have ever seen, what Terry brings is what we need, honesty, grit and a backbone, ideal for our youngsters, also he is really well connected down south and will get us gems not Marwoods or Balls, scrap this crap with Man City, far better what we got from Newcastle.

The BOD will have their own agenda here, I reckon its crucial they sell us as a Prem team, only way that can happen is to deliver 30 points in 23 matches, that's a big ask on present form.

Just please no Billy Stark, great guy, great player but as demonstrated at Under 21 cant deliver, we need a proven manager. Tel got Well moving, got Caley on map and took Hibs at totally wrong time, look at Hibs now still pish, just hope we wont be playing them next year.

Boys have nothing to lose Sunday, apart from goal difference I even think Well game is coming up to soon, we need a serious run of 6-7 games unbeaten, put some pressure on Thistle Killie and Dundee, rest are out of sight

Just trying to make this forum interesting and to highlight the point that David Longwell has the same credentials as Ian Cathro in that you dont have to have played the game at a great level to be a good coach/manager.

Certainly agree with that, and I'm sure he will be a successful manager one day. Mourinho, Wenger and AVB never had much playing careers.

I think the career coach is going to becoming more and more common over the coming years. We are going to be seeing more and more managers who've spent their teens and twenties studying coaching instead of playing. As with anything, the longer you spend doing something, the better you become at it.

Longwell is in his late 30's, but he's been a full time coach for going on 20 years. He has more full time coaching experience than every other manager in the Scottish top flight.

I would be pretty sure Butcher would have us relegated just as he managed at Inverness & Hibs.

He took over ICT at the end of January when they were 2 points behind Falkirk and 8 points behind us.

In the end they were relegated Only because their goal difference was worse than ours.

They bounced straight back to the SPL and finished 7th the next season, 9 points ahead of 8th spot.

Butcher would be a sound appointment if interested.

What I am certain of is there will no shortage of interest in the job from some very good managers both employed and unemployed.We are one of only four clubs who have their own training facilities yes Hearts train at Heriot Watt Univ and Thistle at Glasgow Univ whilst Killie and Hamilton simply train at their stadia.Then we have our new wonderful stadium some good young players and a decent potential home support.We have a lot going for us up to the BOD to get the right man.