St Mirren V Partick Thistle 25/1/2014

faraway saint

On a brighter note, a shut out. thumbup2.gif

Hmm only concern is that our manager sees that a sign that we don't need a centre half after all.

This really is not the season to free wheel and gamble on staying up...with Hearts and Sevco in Championship it'd be a club cripppling long absence.

Big concern that we chance our arm season after season on the 10/11th spot....so little room for error.

Poor performance from Saints today, we really didn't get into the game at all yet could have ended up with all 3 points.

Goodwin was easily man of the match today, well done Jim. That's the type of performance that has been missing this season IMHO. THAT Jim Goodwin is an asset to the starting 11.

Wylde was honking, his final ball was dreadful. Hopefully it will improve with games...

Both young full backs did their duties quite well defensively but gave the ball away when playing it out from the back a few times. Put us on the back foot, as did Kellos kick outs.

Thistle get the ball wide at every chance, Campbell tried to help out Naismith but wasn't great at it. Wylde didn't even bother.

We just couldn't get going, Thommos first touch summed up our day.

Positives- Jim Goodwin and McGinn. Best players on the park. Also a much needed clean sheet at the back.

Edit - would like to see the first half tackle on Goodwin again. Reckon if he made that tackle he would have seen red.

Edited by davidg

Debt ridden Killie continue to sign players outwith their means and win again...probably have the last laugh finishing ahead of us again.....grrrrr admin has to come soon.

Good point. They would have been in administration this season if Billy Bowie hadn't stepped in.

Wylde was very poor, didn't seem to know how to beat a man , so just ran as fast as he could and either ran past the defender and out the park or , more often , ran right into him. I know we need to give him a chance , but already he's looking like another Jim Gardener.

What can you say about today? It was a tousy match with little quality from either team and both will be fighting it out to avoid the dreaded playoff. After today we can now put the top six to bed at least and now focus on avoiding a relegation battle. What I would say is that with tough matches forthcoming we now really need to win at tynecastle on wed. One little point - thommo looks a little tired and at 35 leading the line week in week out I think we need a back up who can maybe come on for the last 15 or so every now and then.

Edited by norrie82

Not good enough. Terrible tactics and performance.

Does Lennon have any impact on the team during games? If he didn't turn up one Saturday i wouldn't notice. He's never out instructing anyone to do anything.

Threadbare squad doesn't help at all. He's got 6 days to sign some ready made SPL footballers that will help us climb the league

The correct result after a grim game of football.

Goodwin was my MotM. An excellent, solid performance, though why he takes free kicks is totally beyond me. Pass marks also to McGinn, and perhaps Kelly, but that is pretty much it. Thommo was off the boil and uncharacteristically missed a couple of very good chances. McGowan was decent in spells, and I thought Wylde was okay, and his crossing was promising. When he gets to know Kelly a bit more, I think they could link up well. He needs to learn how to beat a man, though.

Campbell looked to have taken a knock mid-way through the first, so why he came out in the second (assuming he was injured) is anyone's guess. In any event, he was sitting deeper and more central in the 2nd, and this totally nullified his threat.

McGinn has magician's feet, but he was a bit marooned in the middle at times, and they pressed well up until the last 10 minutes when we could have snatched an undeserved win.

All in all, it was a piss-poor game, and we threw away a good chance to put a bit of daylight between ourselves and Thistle and County. Not good enough, to be honest, and we must improve soon or we will be flirting with that play-off spot - no question of that.

Edited by Drew

Not sure what system we were playing today, Was Campbell a fill in right back or a forward apart from the first 5 mins he hardly crossed the half way line, Missed a few chances today but a draw was a fair result, Goodwin was superb today and was easily MOM

Clicked edit on your post instead of quote.

It was a strange set up, I think it was 4-4-2 but it quite often looked like a back 3 with Naismith tucked in, Kelly and Campbell as wing backs.

Agreed that Thompson needs a rest. Goodwin was superb, showed some great touches at times and tackled very well. McGregor was my MOM, I thought some of his tackling today was excellent, particularly inside our penalty box. He didn't give either of their strikers a sniff, he shows great strength and pace.

I like the look of Wylde, he does what Teale does on the right side - knocks the ball past his man and delivers a good ball. Kelly and Wylde could build a good relationship down that side.

Could Adam Campbell have played on the shoulder of mair today? Thommo flick ons? Mair wasn't tested at all today which I can't work out. Surely his lack of pace could have been exploited? Campbell's signed as a striker and is now playing on the wing? I remain confused by Danny and Tommy's tactics. Plus points we didn't lose and bad points it's another big game at home we have failed to win. Top six finished and a relegation battle now to be avoided.

Edited by norrie82

Does Danny Lennon have a contractual agreement with Recarro that he must be seen in the seats for 90 mins. Get off your arse and manage the fkin team FFS!

We can't cope with teams pressing us. They broke with pace and we trundled around until a punt up the park came fizzing back at us. Not impressed today at all.

Wylde is the master of the back post cross, shame he doesn't quite mean it...

Disappointed with the management team, Craig was shouting for most of the second half for Naismith to hold his position along with Goodwin and Mcginn. Disappointed with lack of ambition from Craig and Lennon.