Mcgregor, Craig & Stevenson

stuman99

A fit Stevenson and a St. Johnstone form, Craig would be two good signings.

Probably the exact level of player we should be looking at. Certainly a better prospect than some other clubs have already snapped up... the likes of McPake, Kevin Thomson and Joe Cardle.

My point was exactly that, Stevenson and Craig have more or less an identical pedigree to the players Lennon brought in. Harkins, Wylde, Magennis, Grainger, Imrie etc.

I don't expect us to compete with the English Championship. I was replying to a post that suggested that replacing Newton & McLean with Craig & Stevenson would be a good thing. Given the choice I'd rather watch Newton and McLean.

Extremely harsh lumping Wylde in with the rest of that dross.

I get what you're saying, but we'll never replace like for like when it comes to Kenny, unless we produce another talented young player ourselves. What I would like to see though, is our new management widening the net a little. TC has been around the block in terms of contacts. There are surely some talented players from similar leagues all over Europe who are without clubs who'd jump at a spell in Scotland.

Agreed, those two stunning and crucial goals from him towards the end of the season have raised my opinion of him.

I think he's going to be a big player for us this season.

I agree with you on that, I included his name mainly as he was mentioned in the post I was replying to.

His goals against Killie and Ross County were both cracking finishes and contributed to hauling us up to 8th place.

Can't say the same for Magennis though.....

I agree with you on that, I included his name mainly as he was mentioned in the post I was replying to.

His goals against Killie and Ross County were both cracking finishes and contributed to hauling us up to 8th place.

Can't say the same for Magennis though.....

I think we could get more from Wylde with a quicker forward, hate to say it but a Hasslebaink type. shutup.gif

My point was exactly that, Stevenson and Craig have more or less an identical pedigree to the players Lennon brought in. Harkins, Wylde, Magennis, Grainger, Imrie etc.

I don't expect us to compete with the English Championship. I was replying to a post that suggested that replacing Newton & McLean with Craig & Stevenson would be a good thing. Given the choice I'd rather watch Newton and McLean.

In no way was your point that Stevenson and Craig have the same pedigree as the players Lennon brought in because you didn't say that. In any event, it's simply not the case. We're talking about two of the better players from two of our rivals. Only Harkins and maybe Imrie could really be compared to that, and in fairness to Lennon I think most people were excited about Harkins signing, and Lennon probably signed him with a view to McGowan leaving. Obviously these signings don't always work out - see Harkins and Imrie. But signing proven players of a good pedigree works more often that not - like Thompson and Teale - and signing guys rejected by other teams doesn't work out more often than not - see just about every other player Lennon signed. Hopefully Wylde will be an exception to that rule.

You do have the choice. You can go and watch Championship football every week if you want to watch players of McLean's quality - as I say, Newton is definitely not Championship quality and I don't think he is better than Craig or Stevenson - or you can accept that St Mirren is not in a position to employ players of Championship quality unless we get lucky with a youth player or a loanee, and that where we do get lucky the player will not be hanging around for very long. In fact, I don't know why you don't simply give up watching St Mirren and even Championship football and start supporting Man City or Barcelona, because then you will be able to watch the very best players every single week. Let's be realistic here.

I dont know why a lot of you think Magennis is dross

I think he can do a job at saints if given the chance

Completely agree. Lots of good attributes to be used - pace, power, height. He's not a great player, but has it in him to be a good player. Interested to see who we bring in that's a better bet.

Completely agree. Lots of good attributes to be used - pace, power, height. He's not a great player, but has it in him to be a good player. Interested to see who we bring in that's a better bet.

I kind of agree but I'm a bit biased because he's a friend of my son. Scott spoke to him briefly just after he was freed and he was disappointed about it. I've seen him about but not had a chance to chat to him. I'm hoping to have a beer with him so I can ask him for his take on what went on during Danny's last week or so and just generally ask about our team.

I was wondering, where would they fit in the team? I know loosing McGowan and we want rid of Harkins, but if we got both of them, where would they fit in?

Stevenson would do the McGowan role well, but we have wylde on the left, why would we need Craig then?

My personal feelings are the left is fine, we need a right winger as how many games does Teale have in him? Would the likes of Wylde be able to play on the right with Craig on the left? I just think the right would be more important at present. We do have ages left until the window closes for season 14/15, but just was wondering this and other supporters views.

I was wondering, where would they fit in the team? I know loosing McGowan and we want rid of Harkins, but if we got both of them, where would they fit in?

Stevenson would do the McGowan role well, but we have wylde on the left, why would we need Craig then?

My personal feelings are the left is fine, we need a right winger as how many games does Teale have in him? Would the likes of Wylde be able to play on the right with Craig on the left? I just think the right would be more important at present. We do have ages left until the window closes for season 14/15, but just was wondering this and other supporters views.

We only have Wylde as a natural left-mid. Kelly is a full back. Another left-sided mid-fielder mean we had cover and competition. That is no bad thing.

In no way was your point that Stevenson and Craig have the same pedigree as the players Lennon brought in because you didn't say that. In any event, it's simply not the case. We're talking about two of the better players from two of our rivals. Only Harkins and maybe Imrie could really be compared to that, and in fairness to Lennon I think most people were excited about Harkins signing, and Lennon probably signed him with a view to McGowan leaving. Obviously these signings don't always work out - see Harkins and Imrie. But signing proven players of a good pedigree works more often that not - like Thompson and Teale - and signing guys rejected by other teams doesn't work out more often than not - see just about every other player Lennon signed. Hopefully Wylde will be an exception to that rule.

You do have the choice. You can go and watch Championship football every week if you want to watch players of McLean's quality - as I say, Newton is definitely not Championship quality and I don't think he is better than Craig or Stevenson - or you can accept that St Mirren is not in a position to employ players of Championship quality unless we get lucky with a youth player or a loanee, and that where we do get lucky the player will not be hanging around for very long. In fact, I don't know why you don't simply give up watching St Mirren and even Championship football and start supporting Man City or Barcelona, because then you will be able to watch the very best players every single week. Let's be realistic here.

That actually was my point, which strangely enough is why I said it was. Apologies I obviously have to simplify.

Over the last few years we have a track record of signing players from our relegation rivals ie. Harkins, Imrie and Grainger for example, who all arrived as far as I can remember all arrived with good reputations. As far as I can see Stevenson and Craig would fit into that category. However signing these type of players has never resulted in us having a team which is capable of avoiding being sucked into a relegation battle, let alone making a challenge for a top 6 spot.

Maybe it is time to for the team to change approach?

I have never suggested that Saints have the finances to sign players on Championship wages. I am a shareholder and I know what the budget is, and have never suggested that we exceed it.

There are plenty of available players out there, without necessarily having to resort to signing Stevenson and Craig. And if we were to sign Stevenson and Craig I don't honestly think that will be any improvement on last year's team.

I'm not sure why any Saints fan would encourage another Saints fan to give up watching or to go and watch football elsewhere?

Simply because I think the players we currently have (or had last season), are as good or better than two players that we haven't yet and may not ever sign?

My personal feelings are the left is fine, we need a right winger as how many games does Teale have in him? Would the likes of Wylde be able to play on the right with Craig on the left? I just think the right would be more important at present. We do have ages left until the window closes for season 14/15, but just was wondering this and other supporters

views.

From what I've read, one of the biggest mistakes Hibs made with Craig is playing him on the left. His best position seems to be centre/attacking mid.

Newton was a key member of Saints team during our two winning spells last season and if you discount penalties scored more goals than McLean, he's also less than 3 months older than McLean so I think it's premature to write off his chances in the Championship. Sure he (Newton) looked a bit lost in midfield when Goodwin boxing.gif was unavailable but I'd have been more than happy to keep Newton.

I don't mind signing Craig or Stevenson. Craig can play left mid or centre mid so is versatile gives Wylde competition and a safe bet to bring off the subs bench when needed. Stevenson is a good mid fielder who scores goals in my opinion a better player than Mcgowan was and alot less trouble off the park.

I just hope if we were to sign these players they will be joined by a decent central defender and a new striker for starter's!

Doubt Stevenson would go to Killie, opted to stay put at Ayr rather than cross the divide in to full time football at Killie previously so can't imagine him doing it now when he has other options.