Motherwell V St Mirren Spfl Premiership 9/8/13

shull

That was daylight robbery today. And here is something I have not said in a long time - the defence were great!

Plummer has class written all over him. Fantastic display for someone so young. But they all played well at the back.

Same old, same old problem up front - no-one wants to shoot! We just want to pass it into the net. Gave up on the number of good opportunities to shoot but they kept passing instead. On the bright side was the fact that we created chance after chance and had the 'Well defence going round in circles.

Marwood looked great - just needs to shoot more instead of passing. Wylde was brilliant on occasion but has to improve his crossing. Ball looked a yard off the pace especially in the second half but nonetheless looks like he can offer us something. Should have buried a ball laid on to him 6 yds out when he ballooned it over the bar.

McGinn was great today - mastered the midfield and was brought down more often than anyone.

I felt sorry for Jim today. First tackle was a booking - hard but not a booking in my opinion. Second card was for mouthing after a foul had been given against us. This is only speculation but he had complained to the ref just before that at the amount of times wee McGinn was being brought down with no action being taken. Maybe he carried that on. I reckon if Thommo had been on the park today and captain then Jim would not have got so involved in that outburst. Just speculation on my part.

Overall extremely disappointing to lose against a team that we outplayed but the new players all looked like a vast improvement from this time last year.

Feeling optimistic smile.png

EDIT to ADD: 'Well fans on P & B are saying Goodwin tried to elbow Sutton in the face but missed (in front of the Main Stand) but the linesman saw it and reported it. If that is the case then Goody deserved to go and hugley disappointing as when he cuts out the macho shit he serves us really well.

Edited by Sonny

EDIT to ADD: 'Well fans on P & B are saying Goodwin tried to elbow Sutton in the face but missed (in front of the Main Stand) but the linesman saw it and reported it. If that is the case then Goody deserved to go and hugley disappointing as when he cuts out the macho shit he serves us really well.

There was an instance where it looked as though Jim was pulled or backed into ?Sutton when it looked easier to stop the through ball, but was a good 5 mins before the sending off and more in the centre of the park. Cheesy certainly seemed to be shouting in the direction of the linesman after sending off, but though he was telling Tess something at the time.

Agree with you Sonny both on and off the park when the off the ball stuff is cut out he's an integral part of the team.

Guest TPAFKATS

If it was an attempted elbow then he should have been given a straight red.

There seems to be some players who can get away with talking to and asking questions of refs and some who cant. Obviously I say this without the benefit of knowing what was said by Goodwin...

There was an instance where it looked as though Jim was pulled or backed into ?Sutton when it looked easier to stop the through ball, but was a good 5 mins before the sending off and more in the centre of the park. Cheesy certainly seemed to be shouting in the direction of the linesman after sending off, but though he was telling Tess something at the time.

Agree with you Sonny both on and off the park when the off the ball stuff is cut out he's an integral part of the team.

When the play had stopped there was a Motherwell player over moaning at the linesman. Could be the case then.

Unfortunately wouldn't surprise me either.

Good performance, poor result.

Not sure about Ball, didn't look that good today.

Goodwin for me was a numpty. Needless 1st booking from a reckless challenge, and if he has mouthed off or indeed had a go at Sutton he deserved to walk. The people around me were asking for him to be taken off before he was sent off and they were probably right. Defended him before but today appears to be indefensible.

Good performance, poor result.

Not sure about Ball, didn't look that good today.

Goodwin for me was a numpty. Needless 1st booking from a reckless challenge, and if he has mouthed off or indeed had a go at Sutton he deserved to walk. The people around me were asking for him to be taken off before he was sent off and they were probably right. Defended him before but today appears to be indefensible.

Was talking about this at the game today. He was one tackle away from a 2nd yellow and probably should have been taken off to prevent this.

Danny had the bottle to do this last season but how would he react to his fellow coaching staff and manager this season?

Not sure whether to be encouraged or dismayed by that today! We passed the ball terrifically well in the first half especially, with McGinn, Marwood and McLean all lively. And it was great to watch at times. The defence looked excellent too, especially Plummer who made some great forays forward.

The downside, of course, is that we didn't really give their goalkeeper enought to do. At times we were trying to walk it into the net. And any shots we had tended to be weak or off-target. For all we were the better side, Twardzik didnt have to make too many world-class saves. Not convinced by Ball from what I saw today, too immobile and off the pace to be a real threat.

Still, onwards and upwards :)

We played well today and with a fit finisher we could well have taken all 3 points, didn't deserve to lose IMO.

Plummer looks a player to me, cool, calm and collected. Tesselar was also very good and I think Kelly will be hard pushed to get his position back.

As for Goodwin. First tackle was late and stupid, a booking for sure.

Second booking, I thought dissent but quite a few 'Well fans on P&B are saying he swung an elbow at Sutton. I noticed Tess going over to the linesman to query the second offence which makes me feel the lino saw something rather than Goodwin mouthing off. Either way, he needs to show some restraint, let his team mates down badly today.

This level of performance should see us take the points mid-week but the sooner Thommo is back the better.

Edit for god awful spelling.

Edited by desert orchid

Never went today, just listened on the radio so I'm not going to criticise any players. What I heard and from what I've read I will certainly not be too worried about the loss, if we can get that number of shots on goal away to the team who finished 2nd last season then I'm pretty sure the goals will come, especially when the Hawk is back.

Good to hear how well Plumber and Tess played and that McGinn was outstanding, he can certainly fill the Goodwin role during the week. Listening to the game it was clear we had a lot more attacking intent than we are maybe use to and that can only be a good thing.

Hamilton won't be easy to beat, but if we take the game to them I've no doubt we will win, we have pace going forward, something they lack in defence, we could do with a win on Wednesday after this loss as we won't play again while the others get a game next sat, don't want to prop up the table early on with a young squad, that could effect them badly.

But I'm confident this group will have a good season, 2 players added to the squad will help so hopefully we get them in, unlucky today for all the boys but get the heads up and get the points midweek and things will be going along nicely.

COYS

I genuinely think folks are being too harsh on Goodwin here. One rash challenge in the first half was rightly carded. McGinn had about a dozen fouls and several warnings but no card... and Lasley got his usual high number of fouls and dives in without reproach. None of us know what was said yet we want Goodwin hung drawn and quartered. How do we know it wasn't the ref out to make a name for himself by claiming a high profile scalp on day one?

If we are going to play with a midfield of McGinn, McLean and Wylde then we need Goodwin or someone like him on the park. Right now, we have nobody else like him.

I thought there were a lot more positives than negatives today!

The biggest change in tactics I have noticed under TC is the style and range of passing.

Although we worryingly still pussyfooted around the back a few times, in attack it was much more direct and fast paced.

Rather than passing to players in a slow deliberate build up, we were passing into the gaps for Marwood and Wylde to run onto. That will bring rewards on other days.

I cant believe someone criticised McLean! His range of passing, especially in the first half, was sublime... and most good attacks came via his left peg. McGinn was off the pace and niggly... but had a few sublime moments of his own.

Wylde looked hungry and has rediscovered his hunger. Some poor crosses but he was always available and always looking for the ball.

Marwood's pace caused real problems for Well and he was unlucky not to score.

Tess was brilliant and ran Plummer very close for MotM. Both were very assured and very confident in the tackle. I didn't see Plummer as a central defender, but who knows... on todays showing there is real potential.

Basically today we were mugged, and with better finishing we would have romped home even with 10 men... for we were still the better side after Goodwin went off. Well were poor!

Last gripe... £46 for an adult and a 16 year old!!!

How John McGinn didn't get booked today is a miracle. Maybe the ref thought he was Keith Lasley..............................

However, Goodwin's first tackle was reckless. Would a 'Well player have been booked for it? I'm not convinced.

What is f**king idiotic, on Goodwin's part, is thinking he could talk back to the referee. He should know by now he's a marked man due, in some part, to his own actions. Rightly or wrongly, he's got to factor this into his game. I thought he played well today.

We also have to add the fact that Callum Murray is a complete cúnt of the highest order.

I thought both Ellis Plummer and Tess oozed class today and that McAusland played well too.

Marwood showed up in patches and so did Wylde. However if he could only learn to put in a decent cross into the box on a consistent basis.

However, onto my biggest bugbear, after Goodwin's dissent.

I lost count (I ran out of fingers) how many times Marwood, McGinn and McLean got themselves into great shooting positions then inexplicably decided to pass.

On the one occasion that 'Well got clear shot at goal the player blootered it, Kello parried it out (when he should probably should have pushed it out wide) and the striker followed up to rifle it home. Maybe, if we hadn't been so shot shy, then we might have benefited from it.

Thought there were a couple of possible penalty calls with McLean being barged from the back and a handball.

Not as disastrous as some would have us believe, but there is still a certain sense of inevitability about the way we play and what the end result will be.

I felt we were beaten by Callum Murray today and not Mothercare , as for most of the game , in particular the first half , we bossed the home team. .

I counted McGinn getting shoulder -charged 3 times and each time it was it was a foul to mothercare. Apart from that there was the kicking and shoving at mcGinn just about everytime he raced forward , which was often . I just felt that John should have taken a few more shots instead of passing the ball . If the wee guy wasn't so stable on his two feet he would have been on the deck all the time. .

Marwood has plenty of pace and Ball likes to let the moethercare defenders know that he is there. Both of them just need to hone the finishing touches . He had a great opportunity in the second half where he could have buried the ball in the top corner but missed . Greg Wylde also had a great chance in the second half , right in front of us but seemed to lose his confidence at the last. .

Some great performances from several players including Plummer, Tess and Cheesey , perhaps only one player could be faulted and he has already been discussed else where. .

As has been said , based on that performance , we should have nothing to fear from other games where there is a more balanced ref. It could also be said that , that wasn't even our best team that was out there today. .

I do think drums should be banned however , especially if the one drumming it has no sense of timing whatsoever. .

Edited by saintnextlifetime

I genuinely think folks are being too harsh on Goodwin here. One rash challenge in the first half was rightly carded. McGinn had about a dozen fouls and several warnings but no card... and Lasley got his usual high number of fouls and dives in without reproach. None of us know what was said yet we want Goodwin hung drawn and quartered. How do we know it wasn't the ref out to make a name for himself by claiming a high profile scalp on day one?

To be honest I don't believe that the ref would be out to make a name for himself. He doesn't need to and will know that people will analyse that- plus Calum Murray isn't that type in all honesty.

Going on the Well fans accounts, he's had a go at Sutton off the ball, the linesman told the ref and he got a second booking. I've defended him on several occasions but too many times Jim has rocks for brains and has let his team mates down and for me today is one of those days unless some evidence comes out to the contrary. He's already been sent off on day 1 after a horrendous disciplinary record last year. It's not good enough from a senior player and one of the management team.

Edited by flyingscot

Wasn't there today but certainly feeling positive after reading the verdicts by those who were. BBC reporter commented on the ovation that the large 1000 plus travelling support gave the team.

Speaks volumes to me.

Looking forward to Wednesday.