Jim Goodwin Liability

quote from BBC

Jim Goodwin admits his St Mirren career could be over if he finds himself in trouble with the Scottish FA again.

The Buddies player-coach is now free to return from a ban for elbowing Dundee United's Aidan Connolly, his second such charge in as many years.

"I hope the St Mirren fans give me one last chance and this will be the last chance because I've been well warned it can't happen again," said Goodwin.

"I take full responsibility for my actions, it's unacceptable."

Goodwin was not booked for the incident during the 3-0 win for Unitedin November, but was later punished by the SFA.

And the 32-year-old added: "I apologise to everyone involved in our club and I apologise to young Connolly at United.

"It's something I've had to take on the chin and it's only me that can change it. There's probably one or two people out there who have lost patience with me and I hope the supporters here will give me one more chance to prove I can get that kind of thing out of my game.

"Hopefully I can help the team going forward rather than hinder them.

"It's one of those things, it's heat of the moment, I never go out to deliberately hurt an opponent. I'm a competitive-type player but what I've done off the ball is obviously unacceptable. I've let my emotions get the better of me."

The Paisley men are in Scottish Cup action on Tuesday night, in the replay against Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the Highlands followingSaturday's 1-1 draw.

And Goodwin hopes to get a taste of the action.

"It's a competition that we'd love to go far in. It's a difficult game, they're unbeaten at home this season so far so we're well aware how hard it's going to be," he added.

"But on our day, when everyone's playing the way they can, we feel we're a match for anyone."

quote from BBC

Jim Goodwin admits his St Mirren career could be over if he finds himself in trouble with the Scottish FA again.

The Buddies player-coach is now free to return from a ban for elbowing Dundee United's Aidan Connolly, his second such charge in as many years.

"I hope the St Mirren fans give me one last chance and this will be the last chance because I've been well warned it can't happen again," said Goodwin.

"I take full responsibility for my actions, it's unacceptable."

Goodwin was not booked for the incident during the 3-0 win for Unitedin November, but was later punished by the SFA.

And the 32-year-old added: "I apologise to everyone involved in our club and I apologise to young Connolly at United.

"It's something I've had to take on the chin and it's only me that can change it. There's probably one or two people out there who have lost patience with me and I hope the supporters here will give me one more chance to prove I can get that kind of thing out of my game.

"Hopefully I can help the team going forward rather than hinder them.

"It's one of those things, it's heat of the moment, I never go out to deliberately hurt an opponent. I'm a competitive-type player but what I've done off the ball is obviously unacceptable. I've let my emotions get the better of me."

The Paisley men are in Scottish Cup action on Tuesday night, in the replay against Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the Highlands followingSaturday's 1-1 draw.

And Goodwin hopes to get a taste of the action.

"It's a competition that we'd love to go far in. It's a difficult game, they're unbeaten at home this season so far so we're well aware how hard it's going to be," he added.

"But on our day, when everyone's playing the way they can, we feel we're a match for anyone."

Not exactly the kind of thing you want the competition to hear, really. .

There's a fine line between being hard but fair and being a full blown lunatic. Unfortunately Jim crosses that line too often.

I really hope he can contain the craziness. He really is the heart and soul of St.Mirren. When he plays, we play. Perhaps he doesn't realise how important a player he is for us, if he did then he may keep a calmer head more often.

It really has to be the last straw for him now. He simply can't admit that he is in the wrong and has to calm down and then get involved in another one. This is his final chance, which is fair since the club and fans (to a certain extent) have stood by him.

Edited by Lanarkshire_Bud

There's a fine line between being hard but fair and being a full blown lunatic. Unfortunately Jim crosses that line too often.

I really hope he can contain the craziness. He really is the heart and soul of St.Mirren. When he plays, we play. Perhaps he doesn't realise how important a player he is for us, if he did then he may keep a calmer head more often.

It really has to be the last straw for him now. He simply can't admit that he is in the wrong and has to calm down and then get involved in another one. This is his final chance, which is fair since the club and fans (to a certain extent) have stood by him.

He was and he admitted it

Edited by pod

• 3 weeks later...

is there discussion on the Paul Paton spitting incident elsewhere? I cant find it if there is.

But surely the elbow/forearm smash by Paton on Hayes was every bit as bad as anything Goodwin was convicted of...was it not?

Jim elbowed Paton for a reason , the guy is a wee c**t . Every team has a Goodwin , its just that Jim has had a witch hunt to deal with. .

I saw footage of the smash from behind on the news tonight and surely Paton should be banned for at least 2 games for that. It was exactly the type of thing JG wss crucified for....or worse. I couldn't believe it wasn't mentioned. Never mind the spitting or non spitting.

The incident is not on the BBC highlights though.