Smfc V Sjfc. 6.12.14

shull

Would it be fair to say the last centre forward we brought through the ranks was Basher?

Steven McGarry came after him. The only ones that come to mind since then are fringe players such as McKenna and McShane (and John Baird but he came from Clyde).

When Reilly came into the team originally I think he was a striker.

Tommy Wright joins John Hughes in hoping St Mirren hang on to Tommy Craig as manager: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/30364375

Well they would, aside from the fact that managers rarely say bad things about each other, would you want an incompetent rival replaced with someone who would, in all probability, do a far better job.

I actually thought we played a bit better today. McLean and Naismith stood out as the two guys at least trying to drive us forward and get something out of the game. People slag off McLean, but that's really just because they are stupid. He was far and away our best player today, and was involved in everything decent we did.

Still, Saintees also had too many chances, and a narrow loss to a poor side can't be seen as progress. We need someone new in now, this can't go on. Its December and our players still don't look 90mins fit.

Tommy Craig had insisted this was not a must-win match, but a decent result was sorely needed by the under-pressure St Mirren boss, whose team sit above bottom side Ross County on goal difference alone.

Saw this on bbc match report, how he can say the game wasn't a must win Is beyond me

People slag off McLean, but that's really just because they are stupid. He was far and away our best player today, and was involved in everything decent we did.

McLean was also at the heart of most the shite things we did. "Hmmm, he's just over there so I'll gently caress the ball to him and...ach, f**k, out the park again!"

I thought yesterday was the best we had played at home all season although that would not have been hard. But even at our best we were shockingly poor. However there was some decent effort from some of the players that gives me some hope when we get a new man in charge. (Tess, Naismith, Osborne, McGinn, McLean in patches but loads of effort, a fully fit Thommo. Cannot fault Baird or Mallon either although they are not ready yet for first choice options).

Too many wee triangles in impossible situations; too many world cup balls; too many over-hit balls and not enough support up front although better than usual. Too slow in the build up and too much standing off and watching the opposition. The amazing thing for me is that we are only second bottom and within touching distance of Motherwell although with the current strike force options we will not close that gap. We need to get rid of 5 in Jan and bring in 5 but I doubt if that will happen.

Edited by Sonny

I thought McLean and McGinn showed some fight and tried to make things happen. I thought Osbourne tried hard, and Tesselaar put in some good crosses.

In short, I think we have a decent enough bunch of players, who should be better than Ross County, Partick, Killie, Hamilton, Dundee - and should be capable of competing with a puzzingly shite Motherwell and a flat looking St Johnstone.

We are being hampered by having soft as shite CBs, a lack of a decent partner / backup for Thommo, and a woefully inept manager who should have been let go with Danny.

Anyone laughing at ICT appointing Yogi now?

None of those players you listed came close to Basher.

Oh I agree, just pointing out he wasn't the last one.

Really weird why a decent striker hasn't come through since McGarry considering we've had a fair number of defenders, midfielders and even a goalie in Chris Smith. Not as if the young forwards were up against much in the early 2000s either.

Pozbaird. You make some interesting points. Whether fit or otherwise the reality is Thomnmo is now 36 and you cannot ask him to play in a 4-5-1 formation.I don't rate Ball one bit but you know we were better in the second period.At best Thomno should have been on the bench.Time well and truly up Mr Craig.

Thought we were awful yesterday, apart from a 15 minute spell in the second half where we really should have scored. Always felt, though, that thr Fakes could have upped it if necessary. McFadden ran the show.

Had a fun journey home. Flight was full of drunken morons in green and white., singing their party songs. Wouldn't take their seats and swore at the flight attendants when told to sit down. The pilot had to come down the aisle and threaten to call the cops if they didn't behave. TGFITW? My a*se.

I actually thought Osborne was excellent yesterday , and McLean and McGinn played well in patches , think we need at least three new signings during the transfer window ( strong centre half , ball winning midfielder and a striker ) , and Wylde and Plummer fit to have a chance of getting out the bottom three .

We also need a manager that can get the team to believe in themselves .

But for the first time in while I saw a bit of fight about the team.

One thing that really pissed me off with Tommy's interview on Radio Scotland before the game yesterday was when the reporter asked TC if he thought we had a chance of winning today, TC instantly started talking about the Ross County game on the Friday night, I don't know about anyone else but I personally don't give a toss about Ross County. When our manager is asked if we can win our first home game of the season when we're in December I expect him to answer with a bit of passion, something along the lines of 'we've not been good enough but I've got the players all fired up for this one and they are raring to go, get our first home win and give the long suffering fans something to cheer, by Christ they deserve it....' But no, let's just babble on for 5 minutes about Ross County...complete joke!

Yes, this is very striking, so to speak. All the youngsters coming into the team are either midfielders or defenders. Where are the young strikers?

We had two come through in recent years. McShane and Smith.

MCShane a bit injury prone looks like he's not going to make it.

Smith bit of a cock left the club at 18 inspite of having made a first team start and offered a contract. How did that work out? Still only only twenty so can't say for sure he's out

Also Bradly Coyne (see above)

I thought yesterday was the best we had played at home all season although that would not have been hard. But even at our best we were shockingly poor. However there was some decent effort from some of the players that gives me some hope when we get a new man in charge. (Tess, Naismith, Osborne, McGinn, McLean in patches but loads of effort, a fully fit Thommo. Cannot fault Baird or Mallon either although they are not ready yet for first choice options).

Too many wee triangles in impossible situations; too many world cup balls; too many over-hit balls and not enough support up front although better than usual. Too slow in the build up and too much standing off and watching the opposition. The amazing thing for me is that we are only second bottom and within touching distance of Motherwell although with the current strike force options we will not close that gap. We need to get rid of 5 in Jan and bring in 5 but I doubt if that will happen.

I think we were better in the Dundee game but mostly I agree

Can anyone think of another club in British league football where our current home record would be tolerated?

I wasn't too disappointed on Saturday, but only because I now have absolutely no expectation of seeing a win or even a goal. Some people, including TC, seemed quite encouraged because we had a few shots on target in the 2nd half, and managed to string a few passes together at times on Saturday. FFS, is this what it's come to!?

If the BoD are meeting to discuss TC's future, then it's inconceivable to me that there can be any other decision than telling him to go.