St. Mirren Looking For A New Manager

Never said it wasn't an advantage but you don't need to have worked in England to have contacts there. He played alongside some top international players so I'm pretty sure he will have kept in touch with a few. And last time I checked Norwich was in England although he wasn't there too long.

Well that was my point. It would have been nice to have a manager who has extensive contacts down south as it would have been an advantage.

Knowing a few ex-international players from your days at Rangers isn't quite the same sadly.

I hope Ian doesn't make the same mistake as Danny did in his first summer and sign a bunch of part time players from his old club on full time contracts... Fingers crossed.... Shall be an interesting summer ahead.

Let's hope he's given time by the fans too.

Positive appointment. Hopefully success will follow.

What does this mean though for senior players/current coaching staff with new appointment and a fairly young manager?

Early appointment a distinct positive to ensure appropriate decisions made for next season...

Time to get behind the boss and team once again.

Well that was my point. It would have been nice to have a manager who has extensive contacts down south as it would have been an advantage.

Knowing a few ex-international players from your days at Rangers isn't quite the same sadly.

I hope Ian doesn't make the same mistake as Danny did in his first summer and sign a bunch of part time players from his old club on full time contracts... Fingers crossed.... Shall be an interesting summer ahead.

Let's hope he's given time by the fans too.

Indeed he will get time from me anyway. Craig worked down South and abroad but look at the duds he signed from the English market. Better to have an eye for a player and an open mind Imo. I'm sure there are players in Scotland well capable of doing well at Championship level for us but we need a wide net. If Thommo and /or Teale stay to work with him they should help supplement his contacts.

I think the appointment of an assistant is crucial now.

Would like to see an old head who's been around the block a bit...

Ian has got to appoint his own man who he know who he can work with and trust. His assistant will be one of his key elements to implementing his own system. He worked well with Jack Ross so maybe he should ask him back

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

Ian has got to appoint his own man who he know who he can work with a trust. His assistant will be one of his key elements to implementing his own system. He worked well with Jack Ross so maybe he should ask him back

Be interesting if the board would agree to that.

Do assistant managers get win bonuses?

:whistle:

There's always going to be an element who can't wait for the new guy to fail. It's some sort of permanent rage complex. They are only happy when things are going wrong. When there seems to be an air of positivity they have to suck all the atmosphere out of the room.

Deary me. The thought / opinion police are out in force already.

They are only happy when they are having a pop at fellow buds who happen to have a different opinion to their own.

They have to suck all opinions from the forum other than their own.

I think Murray is a poor and uninspiring choice, but then there's little surprise there. I actually think it's now more likely than it was before that St Mirren could fall straight through down to the third tier.

Typical comments from a so-called non Saints fan. You never have anything positive to say Stuart so why bother? Why do you even frequent a forum for a club you don't support? There is little money in the game these days and all I would say is that we made an uninspiring managerial decision in 1974 and whatever happened to that 34 year old when taking up the appointment? Edited by nedflanders123

So you're saying having had a career and extensive contacts down in England is no advantage to a manager up here?

Utter tosh, I'm afraid. Just need to look at Butcher and the guys he picked up from down south to see the advantages of having good contacts down there.

Or Alec Neill or Paul Hartley, easily the two best young managers coming out of the Scottish lower leagues in recent seasons?

This is exactly the type of appointment we need. His record at Dumbarton is good, no matter what spin you try to put on it. He finished 7th last season, with a part time team, in a league with three huge teams in it. He did even better the season before.

There is no "experienced head" out there right now that we could get that has anything like the promise Murray has. I hope he does well, and I think he will.

I think Murray is a poor and uninspiring choice, but then there's little surprise there. I actually think it's now more likely than it was before that St Mirren could fall straight through down to the third tier.

There's a surprise. Bore off FFS...

Got to agree Stuart.

Poor appointment.

So tell me, who would you have appointed? The man has kept a part time team in the championship with limited budget and is rated highly by many of his peers. Ffs at least wait and see. Did you think the same when we hired a schoolteacher at Alloa? Just looked what happened.