The Appreciation Thread

Would have liked to see teale get the gig, but murray is a great appointment. Saved Dumbarton from almost certain relegation in half a season, just missed playoffs last year, and kept them up this year in arguably the toughest championship league there's ever been. Let's not forget his last club trained twice a week at night, match day saturday, and players average wage are £250-£300 a week!! If he can get a team competing in those circumstances, imagine the possibilities with a higher budget, full time training, better facilities! He said he wants to develop the youths to building their careers and making a name for themselves, he equally at 34 will be looking at our club as a stepping stone to positions down south, ie alex Neil, and if he can mirror his achievements, I'm sure we'll all be delighted!

Good luck Ian, bring on next season!

A fantastic interview, if he matches his words with action then he will be a truly great manager.

I will be renewing my season ticket. Even if it doesn't work out it appears to me that the board have made what appears to be the correct decision. That is all I was looking for.

He comes across very well in this interview, he seems like a very positive and driven young manager hungry to make his mark with Saints. Good luck to him I hope he is the man to lead us back to the SPL.

Agreed. I thought it was a good interview. Personally I think it will be a good appointment, we all need to be patient and not get on his back (as per usual).

The board have listened to the fans (at long bloody last) we have our external appointment... Now let's get behind him and the team for the promotion push!!

We could give him a 1 year deal as assistant and pay him to help Murray instead of paying him not to be St Mirren manager!

Got to be a wind up yes?

We need to cleanse ourselves of his tenure surely this is obvious to a blind man.

Good news at last danny Lennon came from a lower club so Murray should do well. Good young players and a mix of experience. He seems confident and could understand him in interview so let's get behind the team from the start and give him a chance.. We should finish in top four and have a chance of promotion personally it will be hard league to win but I'm looking forward to season starting.

Feelgood Factor... We get Morton away in the league opener. 20 degrees. Sunshine. Lush perfect pitch. Morton raise the flag, and like the decent human beings we are, we give them a polite round of applause. Then, wearing our new 'mostly red' away kit, with new signings and new hope, Murray's Magic Mirren murder manky Morton 4-0. Murray, resplendent in a brand new shiny grey suit and crisp white shirt, club tie blowing in the summer breeze, marches across the pitch to salute the travelling support with a clenched fist and a grin as wide as Neil Doncaster's head after someone pans it in with a shovel.

Bookmark this.

Can anyone tell me of any great signings Murray made in two and a half years at Dumbarton or what young players he has brought through while conceding 79 goals and losing over half the league games in a season?

No - but like you I don't know very much about Dumbarton.

It must be a great encouragement to the new manager to have this kind of support.

No - but like you I don't know very much about Dumbarton.

It must be a great encouragement to the new manager to have this kind of support.

The same people who appointed Ian Murray today, appointed Tommy Craig 51 weeks ago without appearing to have paid much attention to his stats as manager.

Dumbarton Results
May 2015 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton2-2Raith Rovers

Sat 2 May Full time Report April 2015 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Scottish Championship

Queen of Sth2-1Dumbarton

Sat 25 Apr Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton1-3Rangers

Sat 18 Apr Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Alloa3-0Dumbarton

Sat 11 Apr Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton1-2Hibernian

Wed 8 Apr Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Cowdenbeath3-0Dumbarton

Sat 4 Apr Full time Report March 2015 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton1-0Falkirk

Sat 28 Mar Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Livingston1-2Dumbarton

Sat 21 Mar Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Hearts4-0Dumbarton

Sat 14 Mar Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton1-0Alloa

Sat 7 Mar Full time Report February 2015 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton0-0Queen of Sth

Sat 28 Feb Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Hibernian3-0Dumbarton

Sat 21 Feb Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton1-2Cowdenbeath

Sat 14 Feb Full time Report January 2015 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Scottish Championship

Falkirk3-3Dumbarton

Sat 31 Jan Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton1-5Livingston

Sat 24 Jan Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Raith Rovers2-1Dumbarton

Sat 17 Jan Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton1-5Hearts

Sat 10 Jan Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Rangers3-1Dumbarton

Sat 3 Jan Full time Report December 2014 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Scottish Championship

Cowdenbeath1-3Dumbarton

Sat 27 Dec Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton0-3Falkirk

Sat 20 Dec Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton2-1Raith Rovers

Sat 13 Dec Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Alloa0-1Dumbarton

Sat 6 Dec Full time Report November 2014 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton3-6Hibernian

Sat 22 Nov Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Livingston1-2Dumbarton

Sat 15 Nov Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Queen of Sth3-0Dumbarton

Sat 8 Nov Full time Report Show Scottish Cup - Third Round

Dumbarton0-1Rangers

Sat 1 Nov Full time Report October 2014 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton0-3Rangers

Sat 25 Oct Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Hearts5-1Dumbarton

Sat 18 Oct Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Hibernian0-0Dumbarton

Sat 11 Oct Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton0-0Cowdenbeath

Sat 4 Oct Full time Report September 2014 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton3-1Alloa

Sat 27 Sep Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Falkirk1-1Dumbarton

Sat 20 Sep Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton0-0Hearts

Sat 13 Sep Full time Report August 2014 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton1-0Livingston

Sat 30 Aug Full time Report Show Scottish League Cup - Second Round

Hibernian3-2Dumbarton

Tue 26 Aug Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Rangers4-1Dumbarton

Sat 23 Aug Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Dumbarton0-4Queen of Sth

Sat 16 Aug Full time Report Show Scottish Championship

Raith Rovers3-1Dumbarton

Sat 9 Aug Full time Report Show Scottish League Cup - First Round

Brechin0-1Dumbarton

Sat 2 Aug Full time Report July 2014 Show last 5 matches and coverage Competition Fixture Date Kick-off Status Show Scottish Challenge Cup

Stranraer3-2Dumbarton

Sat 26 Jul Full time Report

Can we list all the results from his previous season too? I think that would only be fair...

Seriously, he's done a good job at Dumbarton, I don't think anyone can dispute that. Every manager has a bad spell, somewhere, at some time.

Instead of being petty and picky, let's get behind the guy, wish him luck, and look forward to the new season!

Not really sure what the point in that was tbh.

You think it's irrelevant that our new manager's previous team conceded 3 goals or more 19 times last year including to lower league opposition when we're being told we have a young ambitious manager who helped Dumbarton punch above their weight. Results show they were often gubbed by Cowdenbeath, Alloa and Livingston, teams who finished below them in the league. I'm remembering the meltdowns on here when we lost a few games by 3 or more to teams like Motherwell, Ross County and Partick Thistle. Imagine those kind of results every second game of the season for a full season and you have the story of last season at Dumbarton.

Said it a few times today. Ian Murray has hit the job. Purely down to his age And keeping a part tine team in the championship

If a guy like duck Campbell or calderwood had done a job like that we wouldn't have touched them. Usual pish appoint a young ambitious manager who then leaves us to manage in lower leagues. Just like. Hendrie Lennon coughlin mcpherson

We never go with experience

Looking over last season's Dumbarton's results Murray seems to have built a defence capable of losing 3-6 goals in one game, not only to big teams like Heart and Hibs but also to wee diddy part-time teams in the league like Livingston, Alloa and Cowdenbeath.

You seem to have made up your mind.

I know it's only one Dumbarton fan, but it's someone who has actually witnessed Murray's efforts.

It's in response to yet another Saints fan belittling his appointment.

I can only assume that you're trolling here! Honestly, who did you expect? Have you totally unrealistic delusions of grandeur as to your current position in Scottish football?

Ian Murray took over a Dumbarton side half way through a season. We were adrift at the foot of the table and were odds on for relegation. Without any major signings he transformed our whole club, bringing a professionalism which we hadn't seen for years.

In his second season he took our part-time team to a very credible 5th, doing Alex Neil's Hamilton out of automatic promotion with a 4-1 victory in the penultimate game. He had Paul Hartley on his mantlepiece with the regular victories over Alloa, including the 5-1 demolition at Recreation Park which led to Hartley throwing his toys out of the pram and quitting immediately after that match.

This season has seen less attractive football but he secured our place in a tough Championship with many games in hand.

Although he hasn't brought through many youth players at Dumbarton that is more an indictment of our youth system. He is prepared to give youngsters a chance, evidenced by the excellent loan signings of Chris Kane (St. Johnstone), Stuart Findlay (Celtic) and Danny Rogers (Aberdeen). As others have stated, St. Mirren would do exceptionally well to get any of those three signed up on loan for the season ahead.

If anything, I'm surprised that Murray has opted for St. Mirren rather than a bigger club. Clearly, the chance to work with a full-time squad in a division he already knows has been the big selling point. My money would have been on him getting the Hibs job next time around, especially if they stay in the Championship and Stubbs has a relatively poor start next season.

I would really like to hear who you think St. Mirren should have appointed instead, Glenburn Bud?

First order of business for the new manager is to get rid of the dead wood from last season i.e. Wylde, Arquin etc and then tell Teale, Thompson and Goodwin to get on their bikes too.

New broom, clear the decks.