Jim Goodwin To Sign For Motherwell

Um first of all, I'd like to disassociate myself from the opening post and then I'd like to address the current trend of the topic which is (yet again) what to do with the three senior members of our squad.

Teale - sadly was unlikely to offer much as a player this season so Murray made the decision to release him.

Goodwin (original subject of the thread) - Still with a year on his contract, despite his age & flaws could still do a job for us in the Championship, don't see him getting another gig in the top flight so I expect him to be with us when the season starts. Certainly wouldn't pay him off!

Thompson - Played 13 of the last 14 games after recovering from injury and being rushed back prematurely by TC, worth a gamble if IM wants him. I know there was a lot of talk on the forum of him not trying last season but I reckon this can be put down to him not being fully fit, being rushed back too early on occasions and often being asked to play the full 90 minutes when a more gradual re-introduction would, IMO, have yielded better results.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Ah see that's where you're wrong, i want Thommo kept because i think he's got one good season left in him and he's older than Goodwin. I'm basing my opinion on watching Goodwin's gradual decline as a player over the last 2 seasons. It's up to Murray at the end of the day so nothing said on here makes a blind bit of difference. Hearts didn't go out and spend money on top players they went down the youth route and brought in some experienced players to help them along, that's the route we should take. Murray knows this division, I'm sure he'll have some players in mind that won't break the bank.

Through injury Thompson had a extremely bad season , seriously you must have attended less games than me.

Personally I think Thompson is finished I know through a family member that he has been suffering pain even in the last match. That's why he not so mobile.

I want Thompson kept as a coach maybe even assistant to Murray. Anyone expecting things from a playing side are going to be bitterly disappointed.

If Murray is relying on Thompson as the main striker next season we will be in BIG trouble

Through injury Thompson had a extremely bad season , seriously you must have attended less games than me.

Personally I think Thompson is finished I know through a family member that he has been suffering pain even in the last match. That's why he not so mobile.

I want Thompson kept as a coach maybe even assistant to Murray. Anyone expecting things from a playing side are going to be bitterly disappointed.

If Murray is relying on Thompson as the main striker next season we will be in BIG trouble

Wouldn't be expecting 90 minutes every week from Thommo at this stage in his career but it was only a week ago he said he didn't want to end his career with a relegation season - maybe I'm wrong but I don't think he'd want to play on if the injury was that bad.

Because of the automatic cut of 50% of salary on relegation Goody like anyone else who has the same contract clause can leave without a fee. Or stay on half wages! That's why I see him playing premiership footy next season.

Who told you there is a 50% cut.

If there is Goody obviously knows that , you agree.

So why has he came out and said he does not want to leave the club to stay on and help win promotion next season.

Well see my opinion it will probably be the same as the manager's as regards Thommo. As for my opinion being bollocks, aye ok1eye.gifAs for Goodwin... he's past his best and if that's the best we can do then we will struggle next season.....

Was he really that bad?.. correct me if I'm wrong but didn't he get more votes for POTY

than anyone else in the squad that finished the season?

Ability is one thing, and granted Goody? and Thommo are maybe past there best....

but effort is another thing, and IMO only one of them showed any last season...

So why has he came out and said he does not want to leave the club to stay on and help win promotion next season.

Calm down dear... Its all over Club statements!

And as far as Goody goes.... Just shows you the commitment the guy has made, whats Murray's reply..? Oh time for another Sangria...

Your backing of Goodwin confuses me. I agree that he is an important player next season but you backed GT to be our next manager and said that he had found a winning team. This team started to win after Goodwin was missing.

Having said this I agree we need Goodwin in the team.

I don't recall saying Thompson had a good season and i didn't think I'd have to explain that having Thompson playing next season would obviously be dependent on how fit he is. I'm assuming Murray will bring in a few strikers and will be looking to use them all. It is my opinion that if Thompson is fit to play he'll still get around 15 goals in the championship.

I don't recall saying Thompson had a good season and i didn't think I'd have to explain that having Thompson playing next season would obviously be dependent on how fit he is. I'm assuming Murray will bring in a few strikers and will be looking to use them all. It is my opinion that if Thompson is fit to play he'll still get around 15 goals in the championship.

Big IF

Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd were both fit last season, both have far better goalscoring records than Steven Thompson and both were playing with a side that was far better than ours will be next season.

Yet they didn't score 15 goals in the Championship...

To ask a 36 year old whose season has been blighted by injury to come back and score 15 goals next season is a big ask...

Kenny Miller and Kris Boyd were both fit last season, both have far better goalscoring records than Steven Thompson and both were playing with a side that was far better than ours will be next season.

Yet they didn't score 15 goals in the Championship...

To ask a 36 year old whose season has been blighted by injury to come back and score 15 goals next season is a big ask...

I know it is but as long as Murray brings in a few other strikers then the pressure won't all be on Thommo. I think he wants to go out with a bang and not with a whimper like this season. As for Rangers... they've been a shambles all season and only marginally improved when Mccall came in, under a decent manger from the start Miller and Boyd would have bagged 20 easy.

So if he goes do we not get a fee for him or are we letting him go for nothing? I've seen a few comments, the wage cut into the lower division does not mean we have to let people go for free surely that would make absolutely no sense its a standard part of a contract a lot of teams use. Bit of clarity anyone?

Can we afford to blow a big part of the budget on a player who's form has been poor for a long time ?

If he does stay , I hope I'm proved wrong . Unfortunately I just can't see a big turn around .

not from where I sit buddie,constantly shouting back at instructions and playing shite

The back chat but I genuinely didn't see and I only missed one home game all season, but fair enough.

The playing shite but I will have to disagree. Imo Goodwin was one of the better performers this season and I feel the criticism he's been getting on here is completely unjustified. Only my opinion of course, but I'm quite surprised that some posters on here don't think he could do a job next season.

I for one will be delighted if Jim stays at St. Mirren next season.