Ian Murray Interview

https://twitter.com/graeme_macphers/status/609315866224795648

Interesting interview from the online Herald.

I always get a bit worried when a new guy comes in full of aggression like that.

It might play well to the galleries but it doesn't always pay off to be in people's faces like that.

It can go one of two ways. The players either respond or they go entirely the opposite way.

For example, he could just as easily have explained why he wants players in on a Sunday.

He may not agree with me, but that is an imposition when people have families - and it's not just older players who may have a problem with that. He's also imposing that on players still under contract. Under those circumstances he really needs to justify why he's doing that to ensure he gets buy-in from everyone.

Maybe he's coming across as a bit more arrogant in the article than he actually was during the interview and I hope that is the case.

In my considerable experience, ruling by consent is the best way of leading people.

Grown men do not generally need a kick up the arse.

Edited by oaksoft

I always get a bit worried when a new guy comes in full of aggression like that.

It might play well to the galleries but it doesn't always pay off to be in people's faces like that.

It can go one of two ways. The players either respond or they go entirely the opposite way.

For example, he could just as easily have explained why he wants players in on a Sunday.

He may not agree with me, but that is an imposition when people have families - and it's not just older players who may have a problem with that. He's also imposing that on players still under contract. Under those circumstances he really needs to justify why he's doing that to ensure he gets buy-in from everyone.

Maybe he's coming across as a bit more arrogant in the article than he actually was during the interview and I hope that is the case.

In my considerable experience, ruling by consent is the best way of leading people.

The ones that played for us last season could have done with several.

Can someone copy the link on the herald website? Can't seem to find it!

Assuming it's the same as this one: http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/other-football/murray-lays-down-the-law-as-he-starts-st-mirren-rebuilding-job-210118n.128805380

Utter drivel from you as usual.

Good to see that he thinks and hopes Goodwin, McGinn and Thompson will be here next season.

As you and I have pointed out several times Goodwin has a contract so if Murray hopes he's staying, he's staying. I think that might be the first time Murray has publicly said he wants Thompson to stay and I imagine he won't be too hard to deal with.

Wouldn't be surprised if there was a McLean-style gentlemen's agreement that saw McGinn staying.

Am I not getting something?

Sunday training, as an extra day or as part of a regime to aid recovery from matches, might be just what some players need. But Sunday training and Monday off?

Why is training on a Sunday better for anyone than training on a Monday? Unless a manager has Monday childcare issues, or a weekly golf match lined up

Murray lays down the law as he starts St Mirren rebuilding job

NEW St Mirren boss Ian Murray has warned his players and any potential new signings: it's my way or the highway.

The former Dumbarton manager is hopeful of holding on to senior figures such as Steven Thompson and Jim Goodwin, and also wants to add at least eight new players to his squad as he gears up for next season. Murray, though, is determined to put his own stamp on the recently-relegated Paisley outfit including introducing training sessions every Sunday. The 34 year-old understands that might not be to the liking of every player - especially the older ones with young families - but revealed that anyone who does not fancy being a part of the new regime would be better off playing elsewhere.

He told Times Sport: "We want to try to change a few things, predominantly for the benefit of the younger guys. We'll be in every Sunday for training as that's what we want to do. To some older guys that might not appeal as they've got young families. I understand that, but our younger players are more important to us at this point. So we'll come in on Sundays and have Mondays off. If some players don't want to do it then there are no hard feelings. But it's the way I'm going to do it regardless of who is here.

"I'm a young manager so you're going to have guys older than you in the changing room. If they don't want to buy into what you're doing then they can go. It's as simple as that. We're quite honest about it. If they don't want to come in on a Sunday then we're not going to be able to work together.

"Anyone coming in has to subscribe to what we want to do. You have to be honest with them. There's no point telling them what we're doing after they've signed. You do that and the trust is lost right away. All the young boys have bought into it, their enthusiasm has been terrific."

Murray, though, is hopeful talisman Thompson - a former team-mate at Rangers - will extend his stay at the club.

He added: "Thommo is just back from his holiday so we'll have a chat. The initial signs are we want him to stay. There's no offer on the table yet as we need to speak money. If we can get him at a level we think is value for money - and he's receptive to how we want to do things and change things - then fine. Stevie in this league would be a handful. His experience could be vital. There's no doubt he wants to stay. It's just about trying to sort something out. If he asks for stuff outside our budget it will be a straight 'no' but he's not daft."

Murray, who is looking to make former Dumbarton coach Mark Spalding his Number 2, is also hopeful of persuading midfielder John McGinn to stay. The 20 year-old is out of contract but any club wanting to sign him would need to pay St Mirren compensation.

Murray added: "We've had one enquiry for him and that didn't come near what we wanted. My gut feeling is that until an acceptable offer comes in John can't go anywhere. Those are the rules. We would rather he signed here off his own back which would be brilliant. But if an offer comes in that we feel is value for money he will leave. As things stand I think he'll still be here next season but that can change.

"I think another couple of years here would do him good and I've said that to him. I told him we would get a better move than he will get now as he'll have more experience and will be a better player. Hopefully he'll be part of a winning team too. We won't make him sign a 10-year deal. But if he gives us two years we'll get him a better move."

Murray will also hold talks with former Dumbarton ace Scott Agnew about a possible deal when the player returns from holiday, but warned there is interest from at least three other clubs.

Edited by BobbyLavatory

It's a great bargaining position that Murray has taken, one where he's in control and exactly why we needed a fresh look at things.

Goodwin has a contract, and he's keen to keep Thommo but he's also making it clear to the two of them that if they stay, they have to toe the line, and that there's no point in them staying and then moaning about it (as if they would!) afterwards. It puts the responsibility for the decision back to the players, and accepts that if they don't fancy it, then we'll all move on.

I'm very heartened to read that interview, and the way he's going about things. Well done Murso!

Don't see the problem with having Sunday training a good thing for the young players to take it easy on a Saturday night in for training on the Sunday. This also allows to analyse Saturday game good or bad.

Looking forward to see who is being brought in./

Could prevent the younger players running loose on the lash on a Saturday night with their mates and dealing with a hangover on the Sunday.

I think its a good idea, its not as if they have been told to come in an extra day. I suppose it keeps Saturdays game outcome fresh in the mind, win lose or draw.

Am I not getting something?

Sunday training, as an extra day or as part of a regime to aid recovery from matches, might be just what some players need. But Sunday training and Monday off?

Why is training on a Sunday better for anyone than training on a Monday? Unless a manager has Monday childcare issues, or a weekly golf match lined up

ETA: kevo_smfc beat me to it:D

Perhaps it is to try and break the big saturday night out culture that many young scottish footballers seem to have.

I don't mind what the reason is as long as it works.

Edited by ADMITCHELL

I disagree.

I don't think he came across as aggressive. I think he was being open and honest about his intentions and if anyone doesn't buy into it they shouldn't be at the club, that includes players who may be re-signing and new signings. Just think would could have happened last season if we appointed a manager with that sort of attitude in the summer. Chances are we wouldn't be sitting in the division we are in.

Again with the training on a Sunday, that is up to him. He is letting any potential signing know what will be expected of them so they know what they are signing up for and there are no false pretenses.

Could prevent the younger players running loose on the lash on a Saturday night with their mates and dealing with a hangover on the Sunday.

I think its a good idea, its not as if they have been told to come in an extra day. I suppose it keeps Saturdays game outcome fresh in the mind, win lose or draw.

Exactly!

How many local players have you seen over the years out and about on a Saturday night in Paisley? Or photos on twitter/instagram of nights out in Glasgow ect.

Hearts introduced additional training sessions last year which resulted in them winning the league at a canter.

Bring it on I say.

COYS.

But it's not an additional session, it is moving the Monday session to Sunday

Loads of opportunities exist to misbehave on a Sunday night

Changes should only be made if there is a purpose OTHER than to show who is the boss

I don't agree either with Sunday training or with the "take it or leave" stance.

Footballers are workers the same as the rest of us and are entitled to a family life. The one day in the week that most people can guarantee off is Sunday and so in most cases is the only opportunity that a family can get together.

There might have been some logic if he wants to introduce an additional training session to benefit the team and performance But he isn't doing that

And what if his take it or leave it attitude to such an unreasonable demand costs us decent signings?

Will it still be a great idea if we miss out on good players who put their families first?

Yes the boss has to be in charge and if people won't accept reasonable conditions they shouldn't take the job. But this isn't reasonable.

Sir Alex Ferguson would have been a top manager had he read your advice. ..........................oh wait?

I don't agree either with Sunday training or with the "take it or leave" stance.

Footballers are workers the same as the rest of us and are entitled to a family life. The one day in the week that most people can guarantee off is Sunday and so in most cases is the only opportunity that a family can get together.

There might have been some logic if he wants to introduce an additional training session to benefit the team and performance But he isn't doing that

And what if his take it or leave it attitude to such an unreasonable demand costs us decent signings?

Will it still be a great idea if we miss out on good players who put their families first?

Yes the boss has to be in charge and if people won't accept reasonable conditions they shouldn't take the job. But this isn't reasonable.

They are home by 2pm most weekdays so have plenty of time then to spend with their families. I'm sure many of them pick their kids up from school.

Plenty of ordinary punters work Sundays. Many work marathon shifts into the bargain for shite money, so I wouldn't be shedding any tears for a few pampered fitba players.

Murray is setting out his vision. Good on him. We need levels of commitment that were sorely lacking last year, so this is a good place to start.

Edited by Drew

It's all very well saying he sounds good or doesn't sound good in interviews, it's largely irrelevant. As with all managers, Murray will be judged by the teams performances on the park.

If on Christmas Day we are in the bottom half of the league there will be a large section of our fans on here and elsewhere campaigning for him to be sacked. On the other hand, if we are in the top 2 he will be hailed as the best thing since sliced bread.

Either of those will happen regardless of how well or otherwise he comes across in interviews.

It's all very well saying he sounds good or doesn't sound good in interviews, it's largely irrelevant. As with all managers, Murray will be judged by the teams performances on the park.

If on Christmas Day we are in the bottom half of the league there will be a large section of our fans on here and elsewhere campaigning for him to be sacked. On the other hand, if we are in the top 2 he will be hailed as the best thing since sliced bread.

Either of those will happen regardless of how well or otherwise he comes across in interviews.

What if he likes sitting in the dugout and not standing on the touch-line during games?

I think the Sunday training will be more of a recovery session after a game on a Saturday.

Makes more sense as our squad will be small and will need to treat aches,sprains and strains quicker than waiting on a Monday morning