Trialists Update

Yeah, clever wording that. Though as above, if Rooney is only being offered under 20 terms, he'll be off as well.

Aye, heard that too.

Makes little sense for the lad to accept that offer. He sounds a bit raw but with plenty of potential, so I hope we aren't missing out on a good option.

Edited by Drew

Aye, heard that too.

Makes little sense for the lad to accept that offer. He sounds a bit raw but with plenty of potential, so I hope we aren't missing out on a good option.

Like that ginger Manc once sang, money's too tight to mention. I guess we literally can't afford anyone in the first team squad who absolutely isn't ready to contribute from day one. Nee passengers.

Again, shame, because Rooney sounds like a prospect (not seen him; just going off feedback on here) and, yeah, like you say, it'd be galling to watch another club with a bit more budget turn him into a player.

Rangers will be heavy favourites on august 7. We knew that I know but I actually thought we might have had a decent chance. Anyhow as I have said it could be October by the time we find form as I really can't see anyone fearing.our team at present as it won't score goals. Morton will never have a better chance either

Two days from our first competitive game and yet still some can't see it! We don't even have a team for saturday, never mind a squad. Jeez i hope Berwick are really gash, we will need all the luck we can get.

You're right, I'm shitting myself. 1eye.gif

Wonder if I should get the boots looked out, I could do a job in central midfield. lol.gif

Two days from our first competitive game and yet still some can't see it! We don't even have a team for saturday, never mind a squad. Jeez i hope Berwick are really gash, we will need all the luck we can get.

Berwick are really gash, that's why they struggle in the third division and we're several leagues above them, we clearly have a team for Saturday as we have over 11 players... First time communicating with you as I've held off so far, please please just stop. Give Murray a chance, we've not even played a competitive game yet, try being positive, honest it's fun.

Berwick are really gash, that's why they struggle in the third division and we're several leagues above them, we clearly have a team for Saturday as we have over 11 players... First time communicating with you as I've held off so far, please please just stop. Give Murray a chance, we've not even played a competitive game yet, try being positive, honest it's fun.

FFS I've just been up in the attic trying to find my boots...............wink.png

My advice is to make it your last, unless you enjoy associating with fantasists that are a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

Edited by FTOF

Rangers will be heavy favourites on august 7.

4/6 with Bet365 at the moment. I actually thought the odds would be shorter even than that. I can't see us getting a result there, TBH, it's just not the St Mirren way, Thommo's wonder equaliser of a few years back aside.

I don't share the wider concern about the squad though.

Can definitely see why Murray isn't giving a first team deal to an 18 year old who hasn't played above League 2 level. I can't imagine other teams like Hearts would be offering him first team wages...?

We just signed another highly rated 18 year old - Dylan Pooler - for our development squad. If him or Rooney do get themselves in the first team they will get a first team deal soon enough. See recent examples of Mallan and McGinn etc... Once it's clear they're good enough they get an improved deal.

Taking that chance and giving up his current career for a chance at becoming a full time footballer is one only he can make. If he's good enough it would be a very short term paycut.

Whatever else Ian Murray does with us, the way he has turned you into a gibbering, seething, permaraging mess of a poster before we've even played a game is something he can always look back on and rightly be proud of.

Can definitely see why Murray isn't giving a first team deal to an 18 year old who hasn't played above League 2 level. I can't imagine other teams like Hearts would be offering him first team wages...?

We just signed another highly rated 18 year old - Dylan Pooler - for our development squad. If him or Rooney do get themselves in the first team they will get a first team deal soon enough. See recent examples of Mallan and McGinn etc... Once it's clear they're good enough they get an improved deal.

Taking that chance and giving up his current career for a chance at becoming a full time footballer is one only he can make. If he's good enough it would be a very short term paycut.

Totally agree and would hope that the young guy is getting good advice. The worry is that it's football and more often than not its the short term money that the players go for. Hope he joins us though as he has a bit about him.

Still some confusion over the Luke Conlan deal. I was sure he was a free agent along with Howieson. Todays Paisley Express along with a couple of sources on Twitter reckon its a loan deal we are gong for as he is still a Burnley player. First player ive known to spend almost a full pre-season contracted to another club before signing a loan deal.

Edited: Found this link from last month after a bit of digging - http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/13329932.Aston_Villa_defender_Lowton_could_replace_Trippier_at_Burnley/ Still doesn't say if he signed the new contract or not right enough.

Edited by kevo_smfc

Totally agree and would hope that the young guy is getting good advice. The worry is that it's football and more often than not its the short term money that the players go for. Hope he joins us though as he has a bit about him.

But why would the boy change jobs for less wages than.he is on at the moment ? Good advice might be sign part time and finish his apprenticeship so he has a fall back career.

But why would the boy change jobs for less wages than.he is on at the moment ? Good advice might be sign part time and finish his apprenticeship so he has a fall back career.

That looks like great advice to me and hopefully an option that we offer to him. Have we had any part time players in recent years? Supporting young players with a fall back career would be a good move for St Mirren. Certainly better than the potential reputation damage that might come from the HMRC investigation.