Mark Spalding - Far Too Inexperienced

Flareybob

The problem is the fact we have a naive 29 year old as an assistant manager, he is clueless, he should stick to playing Championship Manager or Sensible Soccer on his computer, St Mirren need to appoint an experienced assistant manager, someone like Jimmy Nicol, John Robertson or even Fitzy, the latter of which would immediately boost morale in the dressing room.

It was Spalding's decision last night to take off Gallagher and replace him with Morgan, a decision which lost us the match.

The problem is the fact we have a naive 29 year old as an assistant manager, he is clueless, he should stick to playing Championship Manager or Sensible Soccer on his computer, St Mirren need to appoint an experienced assistant manager, someone like Jimmy Nicol, John Robertson or even Fitzy, the latter of which would immediately boost morale in the dressing room.

It was Spalding's decision last night to take off Gallagher and replace him with Morgan, a decision which lost us the match.

No it wasn't. Murray was in Spaldings ear giving him instructions all night. The sub included.

I agree though about a lack of experience and possibly ability. Who would look at Spalding on the touch line and possibly be inspired by him?

I don't get the point of last night's exercise to let him take the reins. It was ludicrous and not as if it was going to be a cakewalk so a good match to let a young coach cut his teeth. Some of the naivety is quite astounding.

The next Iain Jenkins.

Dumbarton fans have said Spalding was Murray's yes man in the second half of last season and that culminated in them being the worst team in the Championship between Beuzellin leaving in January and May.

Basically Murray has appointed his mate as assistant, a guy who can't have the knowledge and respect to stand up to senior squad members let alone Murray himself.

The courageous option for the manager would have been to appoint someone like Nicol who would have stood up to him. The easy option was to appoint his mate. He chose the latter.

At the end of the day it's the manager who carries the can, you can't blame Spalding for taking the job or for our performances.

Personally I think they'll both be gone by Christmas and have said that since the Dumbarton game.

Yeah, he seems to be there to relay messages from Murray. Can Murray not do that himself?

While he may have something to offer from an analytical view point, I don't see him having any strength within the group. Spends too much time looking about and trying to look gallus on the touchline.

Doesn't necessarily have to be an experienced assistant. Jack Ross worked well with Murray at Dumbarton without experience. He really needs him....

During the summer a mate spoke to Vanzy who said the training routines etc at Dumbarton were very basic and he did fear how such basic training exercises would work at a full time club with player's who have played at a higher level etc would warm to them.

I just can't see Murray and Spalding era coming good. :-(

I can't quite see how this spalding guy can command any respect whatsoever especially from the senior players , spalding had done absolutely nothing in the game , he's been a coach since he was 21 so has obviously never played the game at any level whatsoever. He looks completely lost on the touch line last night and the players obviously didn't listen to anything that he was attempting to communicate . Get him out

Did something happen on Twitter with him last night? Mention of it on p&b but looks like his page has gone.

Allegedly a sarcastic comment about our 'support' last night.

The guy is treading thin ice already. I don't see how you can set that out in the way they did last night and this season and expect unwavering support. To spit the dummy on a public platform over people reacting negatively is showing his complete inexperience and won't get anyone back onside.

I did mention , and was shouted down as per , that I had a conversation pre-season with Stevie Aitken , who said that Dumbarton players and staff were in a state of disbelief when they heard Spalding got the gig !

Murray and Spalding should know this league back to front but are clearly struggling with the demands of a bigger , full-time , set up !

It was interesting to see the boys out half time with the community coaches. As that's effectively what Spalding is. Never mind people ITK at Dumbarton being shocked he got the gig at St Mirren, they were shocked when he got the gig at Dumbarton! It would be like us getting rid of an experienced assistant to then go and ask one of the guys on the pitch at half time to be assistant.

The most experienced and talented assistant manager we could hope to find to assist Murray would be, said with the most painful irony , Tommy Craig.

All the more reason why Murray should have been appointed last summer.

Is he still on gardening leave - could he be recalled?

Respect - I didn't want to be the one to suggest this! clap.gif

Obviously out of the question but desperate times................

Edited by Bud the Baker

I have to say that i have no idea if this guy is a good coach or not and neither do 99% on here. Making him a scapegoat is not going to help anyone apart from the opposing team each week. Nobody is happy about what is happening on the park right now but I'd prefer to get behind the players and coaches and leave the hiring and firing to the BOD. We have been on a downward spiral since the start of last season and i was hoping that Murray would halt the decline, so far he's struggling but we have to get behind the guys or we're going to go from bad to worse, surely no-one wants that.

If Spalding is making those decisions it is surely with Murrays say so? Murray must have thought it was a good idea.

I have to say that i have no idea if this guy is a good coach or not and neither do 99% on here. Making him a scapegoat is not going to help anyone apart from the opposing team each week. Nobody is happy about what is happening on the park right now but I'd prefer to get behind the players and coaches and leave the hiring and firing to the BOD. We have been on a downward spiral since the start of last season and i was hoping that Murray would halt the decline, so far he's struggling but we have to get behind the guys or we're going to go from bad to worse, surely no-one wants that.

Surely we would have benefited from a more experienced assistant who has "done it" at this level. We took a chance on a young ambitious manager and i think old head would have been the perfect mix.