St Mirren V Partick Thistle Scottish Cup Friday 8/1/15

shull

More than 4500 there tonight, I heard. Oh well, at least you've kept your consistent run of failure going, bud.

Thanks for confirming what an embarrassing, pathetic attendance it was because it was bizarrely played on a friday night. Mind you it does look good compared to the miserable home support Plastic Whistle had at a league game last January 3800... And half of them were buddies!

So around 2700 Saints fans.

That's pretty good and around what I would expect given our current plight. We've had less home fans at league games where season tickets were valid in the last couple of years.

Said it before and will say it again. Most fans go however we are playing. A minority come and go depending on how good we are at any given time. Has always been the way and will always be.

Indeed.

Probably the same amount that would have attended today.

Indeed.

Probably the same amount that would have attended today.

I would disagree. I reckon more St Mirren fans would have turned out for a home cup tie against decent local opposition at 3pm on a Saturday than 7.30pm on a working weekday.

Cannae' prove it obviously, other than to say I would have went today.

I would disagree. I reckon more St Mirren fans would have turned out for a home cup tie against decent local opposition at 3pm on a Saturday than 7.30pm on a working weekday.

My wife and I would have been there as my grandson would have wanted to go. He was at his dad's last night so we were saved the embarrassment and Saints were lost to our gate moneys.

My wife and I would have been there as my grandson would have wanted to go. He was at his dad's last night so we were saved the embarrassment and Saints were lost to our gate moneys.

Aye, I'm sitting here with a coffee, an iPad, and Jeff Stelling's Soccer Saturday for company. Would normally have went to Braehead for a bite to eat then the fitba'.

3pm on a Saturday and we changed it. Well played, well played indeed.

I'm slightly bemused by how much some posters are bigging up Partick Thistle. They spent August, September and part of October as one of the only SPL teams anywhere near as bad as a honking Dundee United team who are every bit as poor as we were under Tommy Craig for the first half of last season. (Motherwell under Barraclough were the only other team nearly as bad as Thistle or DUFC). Having now been on their "best run of form for 40 years" in the top flight they now sit in 9th place - behind Motherwell who were so dire they sacked Barraclough and brought back McGhee, and 1 point ahead of a Hamilton team with 1 win in 10 league games and 3 points ahead of Killie (another team with 1 win in 10 league games).

It needs to be stressed that last night does show how far we have fallen in 2 years that we are now so bad that Alex Rae's main hope of getting a result with our current squad is to try and be compact, hard to beat, and hope we sneak somethng from set pieces... in a home cup tie.

Looking at the mightiness of Partick Thistle it would no doubt have been the same if our opponents last night had been Dundee, Killie, Hamilton or Motherwell, nevermind midtable mediocre SPL teams like St Johnstone, Ross County or Inverness.

Thistle's keeper made 2 saves both of which came in the last 10 minutes - they could have almost won the game by fielding no keeper for the match. That is how bad we are currently, and this is where Alex Rae has to build from. Hopefully he has already made us difficult to beat at Championship level that if he isn't able to get rid of many players and bring in a bit more quality we may still pick up enough points to finish 6th-8th or maybe better if he can make 2 good signings in January.

I will happily suggest that plenty of other Championship teams will give SPL teams a better game than we gave Thistle last night, even if they don't end up winning in the end.

The last few Friday night games have been on TV but in all of the games we have played at home on a Friday I would say that the crowds are down about 800-1000 by having it on Friday. Don't like Friday night games and hope we don't have too many more.

Only 1800 Thistle fans last night? Looked to me they pretty much sold out the away end and a good 4-500 in the West Stand (take 1 off for the fanny that got chucked out after the first goal though)

I'm slightly bemused by how much some posters are bigging up Partick Thistle. They spent August, September and part of October as one of the only SPL teams anywhere near as bad as a honking Dundee United team who are every bit as poor as we were under Tommy Craig for the first half of last season. (Motherwell under Barraclough were the only other team nearly as bad as Thistle or DUFC). Having now been on their "best run of form for 40 years" in the top flight they now sit in 9th place - behind Motherwell who were so dire they sacked Barraclough and brought back McGhee, and 1 point ahead of a Hamilton team with 1 win in 10 league games and 3 points ahead of Killie (another team with 1 win in 10 league games).

It needs to be stressed that last night does show how far we have fallen in 2 years that we are now so bad that Alex Rae's main hope of getting a result with our current squad is to try and be compact, hard to beat, and hope we sneak somethng from set pieces... in a home cup tie.

Looking at the mightiness of Partick Thistle it would no doubt have been the same if our opponents last night had been Dundee, Killie, Hamilton or Motherwell, nevermind midtable mediocre SPL teams like St Johnstone, Ross County or Inverness.

Thistle's keeper made 2 saves both of which came in the last 10 minutes - they could have almost won the game by fielding no keeper for the match. That is how bad we are currently, and this is where Alex Rae has to build from. Hopefully he has already made us difficult to beat at Championship level that if he isn't able to get rid of many players and bring in a bit more quality we may still pick up enough points to finish 6th-8th or maybe better if he can make 2 good signings in January.

I will happily suggest that plenty of other Championship teams will give SPL teams a better game than we gave Thistle last night, even if they don't end up winning in the end.

Were you at the game?

How far we have fallen seems to have been used to describe last night - that is my objection. A 4-1 home defeat against Livingston would have been a better example. Perhaps it's just me being pedantic. I simply don't see last night as all doom and gloom - perhaps that's where I'm coming from.

New manager needs time. It is clear that we not only lost two bright young prospects, but also two established better first team regulars in McLean and McGinn and unfortunately losing both Naismith and Goodwin has hit us hard this season.

Thistle have been on a good run. We have been on a shocking run. Hardly unexpected to lose given they are in the league above on current form?

Added to that all the angst about the Friday night game etc...

We need wins, especially at home and hopefully some happiness will return. It is however good to be talking about a game and opinions on it rather than the cliquegate debacle...

Edited by Bart Simpson

I remember in August 2013 Partick Thistle came to Paisley, played us off the park and beat us 2-1.

Last night they do the same. Yet that's a sign of how a far we have fallen in those 2 years? :lol:

Surely the sign was the 4-1 humping to Livi?

Edited by TopCat

Exactly Div. Bossed in every department. We have a team of "Wee Boys" and a MAJOR clear out is required in the summer. Won't be able to do it in January so we'll have to crawl

I am watching Hearts here a team of giants, I want 4-5 players over 6ft.

3 players like Draper that played for ITC and two big strong defenders like big Jason.

teams are running over the top of us.

I remember in August 2013 Partick Thistle came to Paisley, played us off the park and beat us 2-1.

Last night they do the same. Yet that's a sign of how a far we have fallen in those 2 years? lol.gif:

The same season where we won 3-0 against Thistle in Maryhill, and had 2 other draws in the league and finished 2 places above them in the league you mean? lol.giflol.gif

Fan Friendly cup tie, good experiment, mix fans in the same areas - all good innovative stuff, no it feckin isn't, PT fans singing "paisley is a shithole" "Alex rae your a wanker" your just a shite Greenock Morton" somebody has their head in the fluffy clouds if they thought these were good ideas, Partick fans are just as scummy as the other SPFL Glasgow outfits fans

I don't think anyone was surprised when McMullan was hooked at half time yesterday. He's quick and gets into some good positions, but unfortunately he's just not very good at football so when he does he gives the ball away 9/10.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's sent back to Celtic in the coming days, hope Rae has seen enough. McLear and Morgan are both better than him IMO.

Shankland (I think) burst down the left first half passed into Howieson (who should have taken a pop) who passed it to McMullan who passed it to a Thistle player when he was clear on goal, At that point it was clear McMullan would be hooked at half time

Fan Friendly cup tie, good experiment, mix fans in the same areas - all good innovative stuff, no it feckin isn't, PT fans singing "paisley is a shithole" "Alex rae your a wanker" your just a shite Greenock Morton" somebody has their head in the fluffy clouds if they thought these were good ideas, Partick fans are just as scummy as the other SPFL Glasgow outfits fans

The Thistle youth team coaches in the family stand seemed to be the ones winding up their own boys and egging them on (obviously not the above songs in the family stand). Certainly something I don't think should be trialled again

Maybe it'll work down at Shrewsbury!