St Mirren V Partick Thistle Scottish Cup Friday 8/1/15

shull

Really disappointed in what I saw tonight. We were second best right from the off and never, ever looked like getting anything out the tie.

It's hard to apportion much blame to the new management team at this stage but they will know now what they are up against after watching us being bossed from start to finish by an average Thistle side.

Thistle were fitter and stronger and better organised. Better than the Livi game, but not much. Look unfit and lightweight. A hard tackling midfielder and another who can pass the ball should be the priority. Both Howieson and Agnew get a hard time on here, but I genuinely believe that both are decent. They need an experienced leader in that midfield.

Our midfield is just awful to a man. Too lightweight and negative leaving little opportunity for any lone striker.

Agnew was terrible tonight after a decent start to his time in Paisley with a couple of good goals. I also fear Mallan thinks he is a superstar when he is not. Miss Goodwin big time in that team.

All in all pretty grim and depressing like most home performances recently sadly.

I'm pished but here goes: have to say I'm really frustrated to see that we remain so utterly fragile and gutless despite the appointment of a new management team (that I genuinely thought might install some steel into the team).

To me, that was just like watching a Tommy Craig or Ian Murray Saints team. Ok, the players might not have changed but the play was aimless, lacked any intent or tactical awareness and the lack of fighting spirit in the team is horrible.

I hope Rae learns from this..

Thistle were fitter and stronger and better organised. Better than the Livi game, but not much. Look unfit and lightweight. A hard tackling midfielder and another who can pass the ball should be the priority. Both Howieson and Agnew get a hard time on here, but I genuinely believe that both are decent. They need an experienced leader in that midfield.

It was men against boys tonight. Thistle were stronger, sharper and had ,a yard of pace to get away from their man and really should have won more comfortably.

Both Howieson and Agnew are struggling as they whilst being midfield players don't seem able to play in either a flat 442 or at the head of the diamond in a 451 formation. You could free pretty much all our midfield in the transfer and not one f**k would be given apart from Mallan but he needs experienced stronger players beside him. Rae also realises that if he wants the boy Perkins in from Wigan.

Div you have nailed it. We were pushed around and never made any attempt to trouble them at all until it was too late. It was sad to see how far we have declined and I'm afraid we haven't hit the bottom yet. This group of players are needing replaced. Easy to say but Alex shouldn't keep many of this lot. The team as a whole is a rudderless ship. The chairman says he still cares and works the same. He cares but the passionate drive to improve have gone. We shouldn't be a lower league outfit. Not when partick, Hamilton etc are all in the too league thriving. We are needing major surgery and outwith one or two they can all go. Agnew Kelly,howieson are struggling. Mcmullan isn't upto it. Baird needs a cooling off spell and we really need a midfield. It's going to take time but I am so bored watching this lot that I desperately hope next year Alex guts it and puts it right.

It was men against boys. Rae set us up to be compact and not lose a goal for as long as possible which is fair enough when we have a shit team.

The last few minutes gave us hope but that's all it as was we were never getting a second goal.

On other matters what was the brief punch up outside the West Bank all about?- very bizarre...

Edited by simondsmfc

decent? R u watching the same players as the rest of us? The two of them are fecking rotten...

We were awful for most of the game no intent to try and hurt thistle, Rae seems to be trying to shore up the defence at the expense of any attckomg threat, back to Gus times at best.

Sadly, it's currently a better option than allowing too much freedom. That said, the lack of hustle is just players being lazy compounded by the mess Murray made of putting a midfield together. As it is, the midfield are too weak and offer no threat/movement/end result/protection on a second by second rotational basis. Agnew, for example, is so poor at picking up a ball, trapping and turning that it is surely now a term used across all training grounds. "Trap it, turn, release if the pass is on or hold...don't be lazy or Agnew the ball"

Mr Mallan ( Senior ) was sitting close to me.

He was annoyed that Howieson was subbed.

He commentated that he was having a great game.

I silently took the opposite opinion. whistling.gif

I actually don't think he started badly out on the left for once and that was despite being put out in his weaker position. When Carswell was subbed and he moved inside, he was as anonymous as the rest of the midfield.

The team has absolutely no one that can take a ball run at a defence and give the crowd a buzz that something good might happen. Paul McMullan did at first but he's a poor man's James Forrest which is a hugely depressing statement in itself as James Forrest is f**king cack.

Really disappointed in what I saw tonight. We were second best right from the off and never, ever looked like getting anything out the tie.

It's hard to apportion much blame to the new management team at this stage but they will know now what they are up against after watching us being bossed from start to finish by an average Thistle side.

Exactly Div. Bossed in every department. We have a team of "Wee Boys" and a MAJOR clear out is required in the summer. Won't be able to do it in January so we'll have to crawl through till then.

Mr Mallan ( Senior ) was sitting close to me.

He was annoyed that Howieson was subbed.

He commentated that he was having a great game.

I silently took the opposite opinion. whistling.gif

He was ok at first had a bit of energy about him

Once Carswell went off he disappeared down a big hole like Agnew and Mallan also

I mean a team with Booth and Braganan strutting about like Barca because there was next to no pressure on them

Accurate posts/summaries by Sonny and Bart.

Defence were the strongest part of the team but were posted AWOL at most corners.

The midfield just did not exist - now the weakest area in the team by the proverbial mile.

The attacking strategy consisted of Shankland in isolation and the long balls through the middle were usually nowhere near him.

To sum up - our first shot at goal, albeit off target, was not until the 78th minute.

You would have to be a bit of an optimist to take anything positive from that game!

Fair assessment in my view. We also needed to put in a few tackles early to let thistle know they were in a game in the game. Would have woken the crowd out of its slumber. We tend to try shadow players instead of tackling them. Too often our defenders were pumping the ball aimlessly forward to Shankland because no-one else was showing for the ball or making a run in behind. We are a devolopment team playing in a man's league.

I actually don't think he started badly out on the left for once and that was despite being put out in his weaker position. When Carswell was subbed and he moved inside, he was as anonymous as the rest of the midfield.

The team has absolutely no one that can take a ball run at a defence and give the crowd a buzz that something good might happen. Paul McMullan did at first but he's a poor man's James Forrest which is a hugely depressing statement in itself as James Forrest is f**king cack.

And they've no got a f*cking neck between them.

Wear pretty boots though.

We badly need a box to box midfielder who ideally has a bit of dig about them. If Ridgers is back on the payroll get him back in goals unless we can do something via the transfer window,. Need Goodwin and Naismith back as we have no physical presence in the team and as someone said previously we have too many wee boys ! Upfront Shankland needs someone to play off - neither Thommo or Gallagher seem to be the answer so again need to hope Rae manages to do something in transfer window.

We were miles behind Thistle last night and I'm afraid decisions by the BOD over the past two years have put us in that position. Thistle should not be pissing all over the top of us - their back line was there for the taking last night but we never got that far up the park !

Edited by Dare