St Mirren V Partick Thistle Scottish Cup Friday 8/1/15

shull

Blue Vermin FC 1873 (deceased) supporter and rubbish Golfer , Colin Montgomerie was a Guest of our Club last night.

That's nice.

Its par for the course with our club. We invite people like monty , soften him up with a half time tee & sandwedge hoping he might be able to iron out our problems & then we serve up a below par performance .

Wood you believe it !! whistling.gif

Thistle were fitter and stronger and better organised. Better than the Livi game, but not much. Look unfit and lightweight. A hard tackling midfielder and another who can pass the ball should be the priority. Both Howieson and Agnew get a hard time on here, but I genuinely believe that both are decent. They need an experienced leader in that midfield.

You might have a point about Agnew and Howison, Neither has really been much worse than Mallan and we know what his capable of given the chance. With better balance in the midfield they might come good.

Thistle looked the professional team while we looked like an amateur though in fairness we competed as best we could. That's the best Thistle team I have seen no wounder they are on a good run . Bit shocked to see so many Saints fans absent what's happened to follow you through thick and thin. Changed days indeed.

Mr Mallan ( Senior ) was sitting close to me.

He was annoyed that Howieson was subbed.

He commentated that he was having a great game.

I silently took the opposite opinion. whistling.gif

Howison was far more mobile than Agnew. Great is taking it ftoo far, but decent perhaps.

Thistle looked the professional team while we looked like an amateur though in fairness we competed as best we could. That's the best Thistle team I have seen no wounder they are on a good run . Bit shocked to see so many Saints fans absent what's happened to follow you through thick and thin. Changed days indeed.

Come on, Ian, I didn't have you down for one of the self-styled real supporter brigade. Any number of reasons will have contributed to people staying away.

Come on, Ian, I didn't have you down for one of the self-styled real supporter brigade. Any number of reasons will have contributed to people staying away.

I love the Saints and have had a season ticket for nearly 20 years but I have to say, I'm not sure I'll be back this season. It isn't remotely fun, or enjoyable, these days and we are being totally taken for a ride by the BOD who have spent recent years bungling from one poor decision to another. I find myself thinking, whats the f**king point?

If the team showed any kind of desire and effort I would think differently but I think we are being conned. Why should I rush home from work, arrange childcare etc and spend hard earned cash to go and see a Saints game when it is clear that the players aren't willing to put in the same commitment to be there?

Alex Rae may well be the right man to install such commitment but I didn't see any of that last night - just another steaming turd of a performance.

Poor home support last night , subtracting Thistle official numbers plus those in other parts of the ground we're looking at a home support of under 2.5k. The warning signs are there for the BOD regarding season numbers for next season.

I think the fun has long since gone from going to watch St.Mirren at home. Most of us go because we always have, and probably always will, but it is hard to criticise those that have decided they have had enough given what we have had to put up with the last couple of years.

I hope Rae can sort us out, but it's going to take time. Board need to find resources from somewhere to back him now with 3 or 4 additions that will secure our Championship place and also give us a solid base on which we can build on for next season.

We were 2nd best all over the park and none of our players would get a game for Thistle. That is the price of relegation.

AR has obviously decided that, as a first step, we need to make ourselves difficult to beat. The midfield was embarrassingly lightweight last night, there's no pace, not enough energy or ideas.

Hopefully, he'll get the squad sorted sooner rather than later. I noticed Ridgers wasn't out last night, so there may be movement there. None of the rest of the players were a surprise - Kelly isn't a left back, Agnew doesn't look up to it wherever he plays, neither does McMullen and I keep looking from something from Howieson but the search goes on. I wouldn't be too bothered about any of the rest moving on either although will be a good player in any sort of half decent team.

It struck me on the way home that I wasn't the least bit surprised or upset about the result or performance. That's probably not a good sign.

We were 2nd best all over the park and none of our players would get a game for Thistle. That is the price of relegation.

AR has obviously decided that, as a first step, we need to make ourselves difficult to beat. The midfield was embarrassingly lightweight last night, there's no pace, not enough energy or ideas.

Hopefully, he'll get the squad sorted sooner rather than later. I noticed Ridgers wasn't out last night, so there may be movement there. None of the rest of the players were a surprise - Kelly isn't a left back, Agnew doesn't look up to it wherever he plays, neither does McMullen and I keep looking from something from Howieson but the search goes on. I wouldn't be too bothered about any of the rest moving on either although Mallan will be a good player in any sort of half decent team.

It struck me on the way home that I wasn't the least bit surprised or upset about the result or performance. That's probably not a good sign.

Totaly understand their are fans who can't go for one reason or another. I'm being more critical at those who could go but did not. Was speaking to a lad near me who told me his mates are season ticket holders but refuse to pay any more money above that I don't get that although it's their own choice. Just think here we are in a cup tie with a local team so it would bring the fans out. We have been crap for a few years now it's having an effect on our gates. My gist is we have a new manager who inherited a poor team but at long last we have someone who can organise even a poor team. Given time Rae will put together a good team well at least better than what we have at the moment.

There's thick and there's thin and then there's boring, no atmosphere tedium. I can't be bothered with the latter and that's why I wasn't there.

All you people debating the pricing structure should stop and think of us so far away that we can't go due to distance. Sob sob.

Maybe we should start another thread criticising St Mirren for being far away!

To make a comparison, when flying up the road I have occasionally missed the early booking price offers and had to buy a more expensive ticket closer to my departure date. When I've boarded the plane it can be as much as half empty and I've often thought that their empty seats must be costly as they would have more chance of filling them if they kept the price at the early offer. Not dissimilar to the argument on here. Maybe some smarty can explain why businesses do this. Even if the seat is filled for just £1 it's still better than it being empty.

Wish I could be there tonight as I love Scottish cup games. Usually a different atmosphere and we sometimes pull a result out just when we're not expected to.

If the seat was filled for £1 the extra weight would cost more in fuel than £1 I would have thought.

Exactly Div. Bossed in every department. We have a team of "Wee Boys" and a MAJOR clear out is required in the summer. Won't be able to do it in January so we'll have to crawl through till then.

Have said for weeks that we have a weak midfield Jim Goodwin is a huge lose in that department. Jim said he hopes to be back for the Hibs game towards the end of the month.

There's thick and there's thin and then there's boring, no atmosphere tedium. I can't be bothered with the latter and that's why I wasn't there.

I fear the atmosphere will never be good until people can sit where they choose. That's why away games are better

At least we "kept our shape" as we retreated without a tackle towards our own 18 yard line.

This makes for a riveting spectacle - no wonder the crowds are flocking back to Paisley 2020!

All things considered, I thought the (silent) Saints support behaved impeccably last night.

Perhaps we are now resigned to our fate as there are no indications on last night's display that we will avoid relegation for the second year running.

At least we "kept our shape" as we retreated without a tackle towards our own 18 yard line.

This makes for a riveting spectacle - no wonder the crowds are flocking back to Paisley 2020!

All things considered, I thought the (silent) Saints support behaved impeccably last night.

Perhaps we are now resigned to our fate as there are no indications on last night's display that we will avoid relegation for the second year running.

Personally speaking I don't see us going down. RAE will get a couple of players in at least while Jim Goodwin will return with much needed bite to our midfield. Mid table finish my money is on.

Forgot to mention something about Gallagher last night (something I have mentioned a couple of times in various threads this season).

Early on in the season Jimmy Nichol was giving commentary on one of our games and he said that St Mirren would not get the best out of Gallagher by playing him as a striker. Nichol had Gallagher at Cowdenbeath and always played him wide as he said the guy needed space to run at people and did his best work when not tightly marked.

From last night it looks like Rae has hopefully taken this on board as Gallagher had his best 45 mins for us in my opinion. He is no world beater but playing someone in their best position at least makes the most of what we have. And the bonus is we do not have McMullan playing.

Div you have nailed it. We were pushed around and never made any attempt to trouble them at all until it was too late. It was sad to see how far we have declined and I'm afraid we haven't hit the bottom yet. This group of players are needing replaced. Easy to say but Alex shouldn't keep many of this lot. The team as a whole is a rudderless ship. The chairman says he still cares and works the same. He cares but the passionate drive to improve have gone. We shouldn't be a lower league outfit. Not when partick, Hamilton etc are all in the too league thriving. We are needing major surgery and outwith one or two they can all go. Agnew Kelly,howieson are struggling. Mcmullan isn't upto it. Baird needs a cooling off spell and we really need a midfield. It's going to take time but I am so bored watching this lot that I desperately hope next year Alex guts it and puts it right.

Football and success are cyclical. It's horrible at the moment but too many uncertainties are simply dragging the club down just now. It will not settle until we are sold. Everything else, crap lightweight midfield, vintage strikers, spineless defence, dodgy keeper, transient management teams, it's all just horrible noise for the fans just now. St Mirren are presently in freefall , its undeniably a fact. Doesn't mean the team are not worthy of supporting, it's simply that for folks expectations to be met, presently the club needs a platform of sorts, we don't even have a brick in place just now. We are in no position to develop any kind of ambition whatsoever. We are troubled bottom feeders and that is the bitter reality. Hard to take but I don't love the club any less than in 1987 or 1999 or 2013.

Out powered easily by Partick Thistle, well , that says it all for me and then some.............

Personally speaking I don't see us going down. RAE will get a couple of players in at least while Jim Goodwin will return with much needed bite to our midfield. Mid table finish my money is on.

I agree with your optimistic comments but it is a big 'IF' for Alex Rae to turn this team around.

But yes with Goodwin and Naismith back next month and at least a couple of good signings in the January transfer window all is not yet lost - midfield is a priority.

I would repeat though if things do not improve on the performances of last night and against Livingston we will go down.