Smisa & Gordon Scott Submit Bid

div

I will probably end up signing up for this but a few things concern me.

1. God forbid but what happens if GLS is hit by a bus, what happens to the money he put in? Who would lead the whole thing?

2. Will we really be able to sustain 1000 plus members over 10 years. There is a risk of members dying, being made redundant, financial circumstances changing or becoming disillusioned and pulling out due to decisions being made that they don't agree with. Let's not kid ourselves some really tough decisions will lie ahead that will split opinions.

1000 members is a big over estimation ( on purpose ) to account for such things as cancellations etc

With regards to your first point that could happen to anybody, hence why we all have life insurance , wills , maybe st Mirren is in Gordon's will ? :-)

Edited by gazmc83

1. God forbid but what happens if GLS is hit by a bus, what happens to the money he put in? Who would lead the whole thing?

2. Will we really be able to sustain 1000 plus members over 10 years. There is a risk of members dying, being made redundant, financial circumstances changing or becoming disillusioned and pulling out due to decisions being made that they don't agree with. Let's not kid ourselves some really tough decisions will lie ahead that will split opinions.

Members could die, be made redundant, or get scunnered. To counter that, as the years go by, some younger fans will leave school / further education and get jobs, they could sign up whereas they won't / can't right now. That's just one example. There will be many ins and outs - don't see it being a one-way street of pledgers chucking it. Conversely, say it launches with 1000 plus initial take-ups and there's a bit of momentum. More and more fans who were maybe waiting to see how it went before plunging in might then take the plunge. Success could breed success.

If GLS gets hit by a bus what happens? Chick Young gets done for stealing a bus and attempted murder?

Edited by pozbaird

1000 members is a big over estimation ( on purpose ) to account for such things as cancellations etc

With regards to your first point that could happen to anybody, hence why we all have life insurance , wills , maybe st Mirren is in Gordon's will ? :-)

You would hope he has life insurance etc, however perhaps he doesn't? Perhaps he's skint and leaves a pile of debt?

All you have to do is Google his company name and you will see it was sold for actually 2.8 million

http://www.scotsman.com/business/laidlaw-scott-owner-mears-revenue-and-profits-rise-1-1029059

Life is full of ifs and buts but one thing is for sure we won't get the chance to own our club again under these circumstances , so we need to grasp it with both hands !

Tick tock hold on

This is about getting the club into the hands of fans. Which is fine if that's all you are looking to achieve.

Nothing will change there is no new money no extra investment and as stated the club will continue to run as a break even business.

So what you are hoping is that AR will manage to get lucky and put together a promotion side. Which is what you were hoping with IM.

That is a big risk with your club. I would be asking show me how to improve the team not just how to buy shares

Tick tock hold on

This is about getting the club into the hands of fans. Which is fine if that's all you are looking to achieve.

Nothing will change there is no new money no extra investment and as stated the club will continue to run as a break even business.

So what you are hoping is that AR will manage to get lucky and put together a promotion side. Which is what you were hoping with IM.

That is a big risk with your club. I would be asking show me how to improve the team not just how to buy shares

a club with a £4m turnover is likely to be more successful then a club with a £2m turnover when both break even

Yes that's my point next season you will be looking at facing , hibs or killie or both plus utd. You have shown this season that both Falkirk and raith are on the same level as you and if you add the talk of a further reduced budget you could find yourself not reaching the top teir for a long time.

The fans buyout is doing nothing to improve the current situation

Remember the guy that owned Gretna? He was allegedly loaded.

He was... But he condoned and indeed bankrolled a glory hunting spend spend spending spree to match that of the pools winner Viv and The Rangers combined!

Dafty.

Does anyone really see a fans owned club doing that having seen what happened to Gretna, Livi, Rangers, Hearts, Dunfermline, Dundee et al.

Hearts Mk II show what is possible with a good business head backed by fans support.

The fans buyout is doing nothing to improve the current situation

Financially, initially, probably not.

However, the club have been stagnating under the current board, since before the last attempted buy out.

You'd have to think that a new enthusiasm for generating new revenue streams and a more positive vibe around the club in general, would lead to some sort of financial improvement.

However, if you haven't supported the club over the past few years, you won't have picked up on the level of apathy from the board.

Edited by FTOF

I think your second point has been covered, Re. Your first point, Gordon will have an insurance policy taken out in respect of the purchase of the club, and what happens if he inadverently catches a McGills in the baws.

Let's have a think. Where could we get a cash injection that would allow St Mirren to buy a bit of success by seriously upping the money spent on players, while also investing far bigger sums in club infrastructure and associated non-football areas like a fancy new website, more commercial staff, maybe a set of those fancy heat-lamps for Tommy Doc' to make the grass grow in winter....

1. A Scottish Saints-supporting Roy McGregor type turns up out of the woodwork who hasn't until now appeared not only during the last six years the club has been for sale, but never turned up at any time during SG & Co's tenure.

2. A Saints fan wins the Euromillions.

3. A Sheik Mansoor or Roman Abramovich turns up, not at an English Championship club with a path to the land of milk and honey, but instead fancies a crack at a club with a chance of the Bells B&Q Ramadens Petrofac Challenge Diddy Cup.

4. All the high-profile and semi-high profile Saints supporting drummers, journalists, writers, TV sports presenters, and businessmen get together and decide to pool their resources, spunk it away in an Eddie Thompson fashion and leave their kids with fcuk-all inheritance.

5. Erm, cannae' even think of a 5, unless a 100 million barrel oil field is discovered under the airdome.

So, the answers to the points above would appear to be: no, no, no, no, and highly fcuking unlikely.

Do you know what? I think I'll back the SMiSA/GLS bid and give it a chance.

Let's have a think. Where could we get a cash injection that would allow St Mirren to buy a bit of success by seriously upping the money spent on players, while also investing far bigger sums in club infrastructure and associated non-football areas like a fancy new website, more commercial staff, maybe a set of those fancy heat-lamps for Tommy Doc' to make the grass grow in winter....

1. A Scottish Saints-supporting Roy McGregor type turns up out of the woodwork who hasn't until now appeared not only during the last six years the club has been for sale, but never turned up at any time during SG & Co's tenure.

2. A Saints fan wins the Euromillions.

3. A Sheik Mansoor or Roman Abramovich turns up, not at an English Championship club with a path to the land of milk and honey, but instead fancies a crack at a club with a chance of the Bells B&Q Ramadens Petrofac Challenge Diddy Cup.

4. All the high-profile and semi-high profile Saints supporting drummers, journalists, writers, TV sports presenters, and businessmen get together and decide to pool their resources, spunk it away in an Eddie Thompson fashion and leave their kids with fcuk-all inheritance.

5. Erm, cannae' even think of a 5, unless a 100 million barrel oil field is discovered under the airdome.

So, the answers to the points above would appear to be: no, no, no, no, and highly fcuking unlikely.

Do you know what? I think I'll back the SMiSA/GLS bid and give it a chance.

SMiSA and GLS combine and empower the fanbase, tapping into the talents and resources in a meaningful way that truly lets fans do something for the club they love.

The sum of the small parts is where we will truly prosper by changing the infrastructure.

SMiSA and GLS combine and empower the fanbase, tapping into the talents and resources in a meaningful way that truly lets fans do something for the club they love.

The sum of the small parts is where we will truly prosper by changing the infrastructure.

I agree with Drew.

we still need some1 who can play left back. we aren't going to play 3 at the back every game, tactics will change depending on injuries, suspensions and the opposition and if we dont have a left sided defender then it limits our options.

So you will stop your bloody greeting and put the HoF boards up if we supply the screws?

;)

I think your second point has been covered, Re. Your first point, Gordon will have an insurance policy taken out in respect of the purchase of the club, and what happens if he inadverently catches a McGills in the baws.

A PPI?

Gordon Scott could catch a McGills bus in the bawz... Jamie Langfield would attempt to punch it clear.

Kidding'

Many thanks to Barry from SMiSA for his prompt reply to my email regarding we fans who live abroad, as GoCardless is not yet rolled out in countries such as Aus, NZ or the US, they will set up a Paypal subscription for those of us who want to be part of the buyout, which will be available before July.

That's me in then thumbup2.gif

The Smisa rainy day funds are/will be spent on a discretionary basis after consultation and agreement with the membership. There will be no payments/loans to the club unless the membership vote to do so.

Gordon and the other board members may well offer to loan the club money if required, or may not, the issue is the Smisa money is not there for them to draw on as they see fit.

We can reasonably assume given that he is putting up over £600k that Gordon would be in a position to assist in a cash flow issue, but also those issues may not arise as additional revenue is generated at the club.

Also SMiSA can give interest free loans to tide the club over until they have enough to pay it back - much the same as the current board do. We are really just starting from where the current board left us - a financially well run club (as per the independent financial report we had done) so with Gordon's planned fund raising we could be in a better financial situation than we are now.

Most of all buddies we need 1000 to sign up so that we have all the finance to make the takeover smooth and less of a risk.

As I intimated earlier I am very much pro "fan ownership" and have pledged to back this proposal and hopefully turn it in to reality.

LPM, you claim we can reasonably assume GLS is in a position to help out when the cash-flow is tight, I think we can also reasonably assume (although I wouldn't want to run a business on assumptions) that he was previously in a position to help out too, the rumour is that he chose not to. I agree too that there are opportunities to drive revenue from other areas to help finances at the club but they come with no guarantees and if revenue returns are on the increase there will be pressure to spend that cash on the footballing side. There may also be times when there may not be time to go to the "membership" for consultation and agreement, I'd expect that to be done through an elected group (voted for and trusted by the membership) and I, personally, would be happy with that. I think we have to be careful in creating an image where by being a member will give you a say in decision making at every turn, that would be too unwieldy to be viable.

Buddiecat, I'm all for SMiSA giving interest free loans the question is what happens if the club can't pay the money back, I'd hope that until SMiSA is the major shareholder it wouldn't be the only "entity" taking risk in that situation.

Just a quick question on the loan repayment, does SMiSA receive a new batch of shares every time it makes a payment and gradually increase it's stake in the club?