Welcome back, Gus MacPherson.

9 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:
10 hours ago, buddies1877 said:

Charlie has no idea people on here know better than him they have heard it from the horses mouth.

Conversely, Charlie isn't the sharpest tool in the box.

Also , did wee Anxious not sideline Charlie for a few weeks for him being naughty. .

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

From the Mail:

QUEEN’S PARK head coach Gus MacPherson insists that it is extremely premature to talk about him leaving his role at the Spiders and heading back to St Mirren.

The 49-year-old has been linked with the job of technical director at the Paisley club, where he was manager for nearly seven years, and the Hampden outfit have given permission for talks to take place. MacPherson, who left St Mirren in 2010, has yet to meet with new Saints boss Oran Kearney as well as chairman Gordon Scott and chief executive Tony Fitzpatrick, and he wants to hear their views on what the role entails before moving forward. MacPherson said: ‘St Mirren asked Queen’s Park for permission to speak to me on Tuesday and that has been granted. I do not know much more than that and what I have read after the story appeared.’ ‘I do not know Oran and I have never spoken to him. I do know St Mirren as a club, but any move would depend on what Oran wants and what St Mirren want from the role.

‘The manager has to be comfortable about getting on with the job he wants to do and I do not know what any role supporting that entails.’ The timing of St Mirren’s request could hardly have come at a worse time for Queen’s as it arrived just a couple of hours after they learned they would be losing their home as part of the Scottish FA’s deal to buy Hampden.

MacPherson will hold off making a decision, as he explained: ‘I do know what I would be giving up and I have turned jobs down in the past, so nothing has been agreed. Hopefully talks take place between everyone involved soon.’

Fair play to him. Demonstrates a bit of personal and professional integrity in that interview.

Guest TPAFKATS
How about: when you are in charge . you get to choose : meanwhile?
Tony is the CEO who works for GS, |Stubbs worked for GS, didn't work out . no Stubbs ?
Bees also buzz about on match days?
Are you implying he should have his own CEO box?    B)
Fitzy is also a director as well as being the CEO, so let's keep him in the directors box [emoji4]
Personally, I'd be more focused on what the CEOrole is on non match days.

Guest TPAFKATS
Also , did wee Anxious not sideline Charlie for a few weeks for him being naughty. .
Aye, I think he still trained at Murray Park when playing with us. Difficult to keep tabs on him.

I don't doubt he appreciates gus helping him to sort out his priorities re football.

2 hours ago, TopCat said:

Agree with all that. Fitzpatrick is clearly in the wrong job and should step down. I’d be happy to see him stay as some kind of club ambassador but he’s never a chief executive.

Gus isn’t a ‘technical director’ either, whatever that means. Gus is a manager... Let’s hope he isn’t being put into the wrong job too.

If MacPherson is brought in we will have such a strange scenario. Is there any other football club in the world where there are two ex managers of that football club employed above the head of the current manager?

For a team the budget the size of St Mirren one person should be doing both these jobs . If we were to go down the route of appointing two people to do these jobs , then they should be part time jobs and paid a modest salary .

With that in mind whoever is Technical Director should be a guy with a lot of contacts in Scottish football with a vision of how a club like St Mirren should be run , Alex Smith performed this role excellently at Falkirk , and Jimmy Nicholl would be an Excellent choice , as would our own Tony Fitzpatrick.

The Chief Executive,s role should be carried out on a part time basis by someone with the appropriate skills , maybe someone who,s semi retired and has a background in sports finance/administration .

My main concern in all this is having so many non playing staff in full time positions , we are St Mirren FC not Real Madrid 

An appointment of a catering expert to maxamise the income from the hospitalit6y facilities would be far better use of money.

5 minutes ago, TPAFKATS said:

Fitzy is also a director as well as being the CEO, so let's keep him in the directors box emoji4.png
Personally, I'd be more focused on what the CEOrole is on non match days.

it's up to the board but I think Tony has a lot on his plate.  I would think that business development and the playing side taken together  might be at overload.

The choice is which side to add resources to first.  They appear to be strengthening our present and future performance on the park. 

18 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

it's up to the board but I think Tony has a lot on his plate.  I would think that business development and the playing side taken together  might be at overload.

The choice is which side to add resources to first.  They appear to be strengthening our present and future performance on the park. 

Thats the story I heard at our last home game regarding Tony. 

33 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

For a team the budget the size of St Mirren one person should be doing both these jobs . If we were to go down the route of appointing two people to do these jobs , then they should be part time jobs and paid a modest salary .

With that in mind whoever is Technical Director should be a guy with a lot of contacts in Scottish football with a vision of how a club like St Mirren should be run , Alex Smith performed this role excellently at Falkirk , and Jimmy Nicholl would be an Excellent choice , as would our own Tony Fitzpatrick.

The Chief Executive,s role should be carried out on a part time basis by someone with the appropriate skills , maybe someone who,s semi retired and has a background in sports finance/administration .

My main concern in all this is having so many non playing staff in full time positions , we are St Mirren FC not Real Madrid 

An appointment of a catering expert to maxamise the income from the hospitalit6y facilities would be far better use of money.

Let me get this straight, you are suggesting that the CEO of a multi-million pound business with over 50 members of staff should be part time?!

In reality, Tony is a General Manager, he doesn't have any "executive" power. I am quite sure it is a full time job though!

3 hours ago, TopCat said:

Agree with all that. Fitzpatrick is clearly in the wrong job and should step down. I’d be happy to see him stay as some kind of club ambassador but he’s never a chief executive.

Gus isn’t a ‘technical director’ either, whatever that means. Gus is a manager... Let’s hope he isn’t being put into the wrong job too.

If MacPherson is brought in we will have such a strange scenario. Is there any other football club in the world where there are two ex managers of that football club employed above the head of the current manager?

Got to love the number of people on this thread announcing that;

1. They don't know what a Technical Director is.

2. They know what a technical director is and Gus isn't it.

16 hours ago, Stu said:

He may have worked well with youth initially but by the end he was naming the bench one or two subs short rather than fill it with kids. Once Stephen McGinn got sold in January he found himself short of an under-21 player for the squad so in came Rory Loy on loan. He barely played but it seemed having him there was preferable to bringing in someone from the youth set-up.

Loy himself even admitted a few months ago on the Pele podcast that was the reason he was here and it was a waste of time. He also said Graham Carey was brought in to fulfil a similar role, the difference being a player got injured in the warm-up for a game against Rangers, Carey came in, scored a great free-kick and he never looked back. The fact Loy said the injured player was Steven Robb probably adds that one credence!

Interestingly, the reason Loy said he came back to us in 2017 rather than join another club was because he felt he had a point to prove and wanted to show he was capable of playing football. Given that his goal at Easter Road kept us up, maybe we should all be thanking Gus for helping us avoid relegation to League One...

Until relegation was avoided Loy only appeared as a time-wasting sub in the last few minutes, it was an unnecessary signing and part of GMs ongoing dispute with youth coach David Longwell.

Overall GM was a great manager for Saints but it was clear by the end of his tenure that there was plenty of substance behind the rumours of disharmony at the club .

Well what does a technical director do? Gus clearly isn’t too sure of the nature of the role given his interview.

Gus is a football manager. Has been pretty much continuously since 2003.

1 minute ago, Bud the Baker said:

Until relegation was avoided Loy only appeared as a time-wasting sub in the last few minutes, it was an unnecessary signing and part of GMs ongoing dispute with youth coach David Longwell.

Overall GM was a great manager for Saints but it was clear by the end of his tenure that there was plenty of substance behind the rumours of disharmony at the club .

A bit like Stubbs, seemingly. 

1. I don’t see a problem with that. I don’t know what a technical director is and I’m not afraid or ashamed to admit it. As I don’t know what the role entails , I would not offer an opinion on whether Gus would be good at it or not.

2. There will be people on here who do understand , perhaps have had experience of the role in some capacity and have their own opinions on whether Gus is the man for the job.

Guest TPAFKATS
My post wasn't suggesting he do both.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:
1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

My post wasn't suggesting he do both.

And we are in agreement. 

11 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

1. I don’t see a problem with that. I don’t know what a technical director is and I’m not afraid or ashamed to admit it. As I don’t know what the role entails , I would not offer an opinion on whether Gus would be good at it or not.

2. There will be people on here who do understand , perhaps have had experience of the role in some capacity and have their own opinions on whether Gus is the man for the job.

Its the same people making statements 1 and 2 though!  If you don't know what the job entails you can hardly argue Gus isn't the man for the job!

Yet, Gordon Scott, a director at the time, wants him back?

Along with the glowing tweet from Charlie Adam, that evidence has more substance than any of the shite posted on here.

The Sean Burns meltdown on this forum is the shining example that there was no substance behind it at all.

Btw, when you sign players, they don’t necessarily have to be automatic first picks. You need a squad. A bit like why JR signed Duffy and Stewart.

Had there been any injuries in the run in then Rory Loy would have been a pretty decent stand in. We had absolutely no strikers as good as him in the youth set up at that time (or since in fact).

26 minutes ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Yet, Gordon Scott, a director at the time, wants him back?  Minority at the time - and the guy who has just sacked Stubbs after 9 games! 

Along with the glowing tweet from Charlie Adam, that evidence has more substance than any of the shite posted on here. Different Issue!

The Sean Burns meltdown on this forum is the shining example that there was no substance behind it at all. Don't even remember it - so it must have been a fairly small meltdown! :P

Btw, when you sign players, they don’t necessarily have to be automatic first picks. You need a squad. A bit like why JR signed Duffy and Stewart. Had there been any injuries in the run in then Rory Loy would have been a pretty decent stand in. We had absolutely no strikers as good as him in the youth set up at that time (or since in fact). We had other options so it was still an unnecessary signing, part of a vendetta with another club employee  for which GM deserved sacking immediately and without compensation!

A  good few years since we first had this argument - managers have a shelf life and GM had reached his expiry date with Saints! :spud5

Spoiler

……………..and I’m still right! :spud5

Edited by Bud the Baker

1 hour ago, Kemp said:

Let me get this straight, you are suggesting that the CEO of a multi-million pound business with over 50 members of staff should be part time?!

In reality, Tony is a General Manager, he doesn't have any "executive" power. I am quite sure it is a full time job though!

Yes , especially when you consider how many members of the staff are managers and assistant managers . 

We have a Manager , an Assistant Manager , A Commercial Manager , A Head of Youth Development , and are now talking about employing a Technical Director ,  we are a relatively small business which seems have its recruitment all wrong and a divided group of players.

We had other options so it was still an unnecessary signing, part of a vendetta with another club employee  for which GM deserved sacking immediately and without compensation!

Which a lot of people seem to forget.  An employee who really did his bit with regard to bringing through future stars !

Not sure how people can have this view when no one really knows the exact duties he'll hold. 

The posters on here who are saying we don’t need a TD must know what his duties would be, ask them. Me, I’ll leave it to the club if they want a TD & let him carry out his job. [emoji6][emoji23]