Jump to content

January (AKA The last chance saloon)


DLBud
 Share

Recommended Posts

I'm no the fecking manager. :byebye
I don't do "picking the team, formations" that seem to excite some, I just turned up to see a decent performance and seen us pumped by a mediocre team.
You happy with that? 

If only it was as easy as picking the right team and formation but unfortunately that mediocre st Johnstone team is a much stronger squad than ourselves.
Link to comment
Share on other sites


We need to be offering two and a half year contracts to three or four strong physical players in their mid twenties who can help toughen us up , we should be thinking of having a good strong core group of players to help us challenge should we get relegated , and not just making short term signings in an attempt to keep us up.

this may involve seeing what available in Ireland , or looking at what we can pick up from the Championship , there may be a few players coming into the last six months of their contracts we could offer a PCA initially , and then maybe get on the cheap ( the same way Ross County got big Jason from us )

I do think we should be looking beyond staying up , and be trying to create a balanced squad to see us through the next couple of seasons , which means lots of players going out on loan or contracts being terminated .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MenstrieSaint said:

We need to be offering two and a half year contracts to three or four strong physical players in their mid twenties who can help toughen us up , we should be thinking of having a good strong core group of players to help us challenge should we get relegated , and not just making short term signings in an attempt to keep us up.

this may involve seeing what available in Ireland , or looking at what we can pick up from the Championship , there may be a few players coming into the last six months of their contracts we could offer a PCA initially , and then maybe get on the cheap ( the same way Ross County got big Jason from us )

I do think we should be looking beyond staying up , and be trying to create a balanced squad to see us through the next couple of seasons , which means lots of players going out on loan or contracts being terminated .

I'm with you on this.  Need to look beyond the immediate issues and build for the next two seasons. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We can't look beyond staying up,  as players , seen as good enough in the Premiership , won't hang around to play for us in the Championship . For starters , we couldn't afford to pay them what they want if we end up relegated. There will be no planning ahead in January , at best it will be players on short term deals, with a view to signing longer deals, if we remain in this division !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

We need to be offering two and a half year contracts to three or four strong physical players in their mid twenties who can help toughen us up , we should be thinking of having a good strong core group of players to help us challenge should we get relegated , and not just making short term signings in an attempt to keep us up.

this may involve seeing what available in Ireland , or looking at what we can pick up from the Championship , there may be a few players coming into the last six months of their contracts we could offer a PCA initially , and then maybe get on the cheap ( the same way Ross County got big Jason from us )

I do think we should be looking beyond staying up , and be trying to create a balanced squad to see us through the next couple of seasons , which means lots of players going out on loan or contracts being terminated .

Would love to see this happen, sadly it won't. we simply can't budget that far ahead when signing players. Would be great as it would help the club raise money due to long term contracts if they are successful and want to move on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, oaksoft said:

If you went to some games you'd be able to answer that yourself without having to ask others.

Really?

You think you have to attend every game to see we're 2nd bottom of the league?

You have to attend to see we have picked up one point in 6 games under the new manager?

You have to attend to see we've been pumped by teams that are average?

I sat, and froze my bollox off on Saturday watching a team with nothing, goalkeeper apart.

90 minutes with nothing to show me that we are organised, physically up for the challenge, the basics I expect from a team that I never expected to be amongst the league leaders, unlike you. :lol:

Don't think you were there on Saturday, or any other Saturdays, or you would, along with plenty, be concerned. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

Really?

You think you have to attend every game to see we're 2nd bottom of the league?

You have to attend to see we have picked up one point in 6 games under the new manager?

You have to attend to see we've been pumped by teams that are average?

I sat, and froze my bollox off on Saturday watching a team with nothing, goalkeeper apart.

90 minutes with nothing to show me that we are organised, physically up for the challenge, the basics I expect from a team that I never expected to be amongst the league leaders, unlike you. :lol:

Don't think you were there on Saturday, or any other Saturdays, or you would, along with plenty, be concerned. 

Dinnae have to go either.

Plenty on here giving full match information.

After watching highlights, nobody telt me our Goalie was away for a pie at their second goal. What was that attempt at a dive ?

Maybe Mullen wid make a good goalie. Another disgraceful piece of simulation by him on Saturday. .You can tell by the way he flips his body round mid air air to land on his back. He is an embarrassment and should be freed in January and made to play in the Reserves till then.

BRING ON THE WELL & SEVCO ( 2012 )

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shull said:

After watching highlights, nobody telt me our Goalie was away for a pie at their second goal. What was that attempt at a dive 

Shull, I think Sammy is playing well, possibly could have done better with the second goal, not sure, put it down to a good header, if he did save it the 3 or 4 Fakes who ran in where going to score the rebound anyway. If any saints players had ran with them, then who knows, might have been a goal line scramble or something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, chalky1 said:

Shull, I think Sammy is playing well, possibly could have done better with the second goal, not sure, put it down to a good header, if he did save it the 3 or 4 Fakes who ran in where going to score the rebound anyway. If any saints players had ran with them, then who knows, might have been a goal line scramble or something. 

Don't waste your time, Shull only sees what he wants to see.

If it wasn't for Samson it would have been 5 or 6 on Saturday.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, DLBud said:

 

So, it looks like we’ll do well to still be in touch with the others in the mini league at the end of this year.

 

Let’s assume we have funds for about 4 players to add to what we have, acknowledging some will be gone.

 

Considering you could perm any 4 from 11 (maybe 10 if you give Sammy a pass) then what positions would you prioritise?

 

It's been obvious for a while we lack an enforcer in midfield  for me that is a priority position. Darian McKinnon of Hamilton looks a Murray / Goodwin type player. Go and try get him. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, shull said:

Dinnae have to go either.

Plenty on here giving full match information.

After watching highlights, nobody telt me our Goalie was away for a pie at their second goal. What was that attempt at a dive ?

Maybe Mullen wid make a good goalie. Another disgraceful piece of simulation by him on Saturday. .You can tell by the way he flips his body round mid air air to land on his back. He is an embarrassment and should be freed in January and made to play in the Reserves till then.

BRING ON THE WELL & SEVCO ( 2012 )

No mention of McGinn and his terrible marking?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Really?

You think you have to attend every game to see we're 2nd bottom of the league?

You have to attend to see we have picked up one point in 6 games under the new manager?

You have to attend to see we've been pumped by teams that are average?

I sat, and froze my bollox off on Saturday watching a team with nothing, goalkeeper apart.

90 minutes with nothing to show me that we are organised, physically up for the challenge, the basics I expect from a team that I never expected to be amongst the league leaders, unlike you. :lol:

Don't think you were there on Saturday, or any other Saturdays, or you would, along with plenty, be concerned. 

None of those were the question you originally asked.

Nice deflection though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Really?

You think you have to attend every game to see we're 2nd bottom of the league?

You have to attend to see we have picked up one point in 6 games under the new manager?

You have to attend to see we've been pumped by teams that are average?

I sat, and froze my bollox off on Saturday watching a team with nothing, goalkeeper apart.

90 minutes with nothing to show me that we are organised, physically up for the challenge, the basics I expect from a team that I never expected to be amongst the league leaders, unlike you. :lol:

Don't think you were there on Saturday, or any other Saturdays, or you would, along with plenty, be concerned. 

I've seen every home game under Kearney, and have been impressed with the competitiveness of the team. We haven't picked up the points our performances have merited, and with a bit of luck could have picked up a few more in those games. Away form seems to be completely different, although I haven't seen those games but the general consensus is that we've been pretty much the opposite away from home to what we have been at home.

I think we will once again be competitive on Wednesday night, and with a bit of luck to go with another good home performance, we could pick up three points. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Soctty said:

I've seen every home game under Kearney, and have been impressed with the competitiveness of the team. We haven't picked up the points our performances have merited, and with a bit of luck could have picked up a few more in those games. Away form seems to be completely different, although I haven't seen those games but the general consensus is that we've been pretty much the opposite away from home to what we have been at home.

I think we will once again be competitive on Wednesday night, and with a bit of luck to go with another good home performance, we could pick up three points. 

Seems to be the case, at least in the games at home. Unfortunately for me I've only been to away games and it's been really poor. 

For all the positives seemingly at home we've got one point under the new manager.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, faraway saint said:

Seems to be the case, at least in the games at home. Unfortunately for me I've only been to away games and it's been really poor. 

For all the positives seemingly at home we've got one point under the new manager.

 

It's up to the manager to keep the players playing the way they have been at home, try to repair the spirit, and we can get that win we've been waiting for. One win can do wonders for morale, of everyone. The manager seems a very positive guy, so hopefully some of that can rub off on the players. The fans have also been great in the games I've been to, but human nature is such that it could change quickly as some get sick of being patient and supportive with nothing concrete to show for it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MenstrieSaint said:

We need to be offering two and a half year contracts to three or four strong physical players in their mid twenties who can help toughen us up , we should be thinking of having a good strong core group of players to help us challenge should we get relegated , and not just making short term signings in an attempt to keep us up.

this may involve seeing what available in Ireland , or looking at what we can pick up from the Championship , there may be a few players coming into the last six months of their contracts we could offer a PCA initially , and then maybe get on the cheap ( the same way Ross County got big Jason from us )

I do think we should be looking beyond staying up , and be trying to create a balanced squad to see us through the next couple of seasons , which means lots of players going out on loan or contracts being terminated .

The relegated team from the premier league almost never comes straight back up (County are looking like a potential rare exception this season).

We can't go down that same route that happens all the time where the relegated team keeps the premier league players and therefore premier league wages with a view to making an immediate return. It never happens. Look at Hibs, Dundee Utd, Inverness, Partick, Dunfermilne, ourselves etc. 

It was a minor miracle we got our of that league in only 3 seasons last time. Which was down to our luck in acquiring the services of one of the best managers this club has had. That wont happen again. 

Make no mistake, if we go down we will 100% be down there for a good few seasons. This fantasy of us coming straight back up is exactly that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Seems to be the case, at least in the games at home. Unfortunately for me I've only been to away games and it's been really poor. 

 

 

Like I said, if you were turning up to games you would have seen this for yourself and wouldn't have needed to ask your question.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I'm no the fecking manager. :byebye

I don't do "picking the team, formations" that seem to excite some, I just turned up to see a decent performance and seen us pumped by a mediocre team.

You happy with that? 

FS, to use a well known phrase; "you can't make a silk purse out of..........................."

Not saying that some tactics can't be adopted to alter what happens out on the park but if the basic confidence isn't there and the players are struggling to compete at Premiership level, there isn't a lot that the Manager can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...