Why has the Director of Football failed?

2 hours ago, BuddieinEK said:
5 hours ago, bazil85 said:
The squad isn't good enough to beat a lower league and league 2 side?? Are you serious? We had a makeshift defense yes but didn't concede a goal. Mullen, Cooke, McGinn, Flynn, Magennis, Djorkaeff & Andreu have all either played in the top flight or been signed for this seasons top flight squad. It is categorically not a 'provide' player issue regarding the last three results. 
The buck for these results stops with the players on the park and management, not Gus and GLS. 

No... Had the newly assembled squad of better quality trained together in Spain and had time to learn one anothers game as well as the Managers requirements, we would in all probability have performed much better in our games to date.

Can't agree with this bud.

We have a squad which should have been capable of winning this group.

If we'd had a decent striker we'd definitely be sitting on 9 points and through to the next round and we'd be talking only about that first 45 minutes against Dunfermline where we didn't turn up. We might even have come back and taken something from that game.

34 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Sweet Jesus! Risk management methodology?emoji15.png

Can you not just accept our squad should be in better shape right now? That’s all people are saying and they are asking questions about the guy who’s sole task is to provide the manager with a decent bunch of players.

We’ve played four competitive matches and the league season kicks off in 10 days yet our squad is as poor as it’s been in a long time and not fit for purpose.

You argue we should wait until we see the finished article before judging Gus but with that mindset maybe we should just see where we finish at the end of the season for a truly accurate review?

That is, of course, nonsense but so is the view that Gus is somehow above reproach because there are 5 weeks until the window closes.

Yep in an ideal world our squad should be much better than it is right now but my point is, failing to beat L2 & lowland league opposition isn’t relevant to recruitment. This team shouldn’t need any new signings to have came away with at least points from that group. Shifting the blame to GLS or Gus is little more than an excuse. 

Waiting until the end of the season is of course nonsense, we’ll know long before then, the only thing more nonsense than waiting until the end of the season to judge summer recruitment, is judging it in July... 

37 minutes ago, NB18 said:

Last season, bringing Gus on board was the right call from GLS.

We had a manager who had no knowledge or experience of the Scottish game so having someone like Gus with his experiences would have no doubt been very useful for Oran to have.

But this season, We have Goody and Sharp in charge, two guys who have played most of their footballing career in Scotland and know the leagues very well.

Surely these guys could have worked with Tony to identify and recruit players without the need of a Technical Director?

Waste of a Wage IMO

Stubbs, Rice & Jackson all knew Scottish football...

Yep in an ideal world our squad should be much better than it is right now but my point is, failing to beat L2 & lowland league opposition isn’t relevant to recruitment. This team shouldn’t need any new signings to have came away with at least points from that group. Shifting the blame to GLS or Gus is little more than an excuse. 
Waiting until the end of the season is of course nonsense, we’ll know long before then, the only thing more nonsense than waiting until the end of the season to judge summer recruitment, is judging it in July... 

Ok, so agree the squad should be better. That’s a start and I absolutely agree that we should’ve hosed the opposition put in front of us for the League Cup so we’re almost approaching a sort of detente.

However, I just can get my head around why you think evaluating where we are right now in terms of recruitment is a nonsense? For whatever reasons we seem to have failed to attract the type of player we have identified as having the right quality to improve the squad. It stands to reason that if we continue with the same strategy we may simply end up with the same results, however, as each week passes the pool of talent available dilutes.

Gus (Not GLS. I don’t know why you keep tagging him onto this?)is charged with bringing players in and he’s failed to do that so far. Hopefully the people he is accountable to are asking why and are not content to wait and see what the end of August brings as it will be too late by then.

33 minutes ago, DLBud said:

Ok, so agree the squad should be better. That’s a start and I absolutely agree that we should’ve hosed the opposition put in front of us for the League Cup so we’re almost approaching a sort of detente.

However, I just can get my head around why you think evaluating where we are right now in terms of recruitment is a nonsense? For whatever reasons we seem to have failed to attract the type of player we have identified as having the right quality to improve the squad. It stands to reason that if we continue with the same strategy we may simply end up with the same results, however, as each week passes the pool of talent available dilutes.

Gus (Not GLS. I don’t know why you keep tagging him onto this?)is charged with bringing players in and he’s failed to do that so far. Hopefully the people he is accountable to are asking why and are not content to wait and see what the end of August brings as it will be too late by then.

It’s nonsense because we know more players are coming in. People are making ridiculous comments like ‘GLS needs to put his hand in his pocket’ ‘he needs to leave (I know not you)’ ‘Gus isn’t doing his job’ even seen two people call for Goodwin to go! 

People are confusing a lack of signings with a lack of research & effort to sign behind the scenes. They are categorically two different things. Short memories on here, would people rather we had signed another 5 players if those players were Heaton, King, Kpekaw, Edwards and NBM? 

As for your assertions that we ‘have’ failed, that suggests it’s already a done deal and nothing we can do in the next almost six weeks will bring in the right players and the talent pool dilutes... where’s your evidence of this? What about squads up the food chain finalising their squads & other players becoming available either permanent or on loan? This is my whole point, people have the window written off with over five weeks still to go in it. I’ve said it before, would you rather have worse players available for 38 games or better ones for 34-36? 

Saying Gus has failed so far, does that mean it categorically will be a failure this summer? No, so that’s why it’s nonsense to judge right now. If a kid wakes up on Christmas morning and doesn’t like his first three presents but has another six to open, should he judge the Christmas morning as a failure? :lol:

24 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

it significantly adds to the cost, so really, why have both?

and MAYBE Gus had a hand in those signings, even when the word is that he didn't

The word that ‘he didn't’ has been completely unverifiable by the usual negative folk on here, many caught lying multiple times. 

OK confirmed following his appointment at a Q&A that all recruitment scouting goes through Gus in the first instance, so unless he was lying, Gus was involved in the very successful January window. Our only full window reference point & the reason he deserves to remain. 

9 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

It’s nonsense because we know more players are coming in. People are making ridiculous comments like ‘GLS needs to put his hand in his pocket’ ‘he needs to leave (I know not you)’ ‘Gus isn’t doing his job’ even seen two people call for Goodwin to go! 

People are confusing a lack of signings with a lack of research & effort to sign behind the scenes. They are categorically two different things. Short memories on here, would people rather we had signed another 5 players if those players were Heaton, King, Kpekaw, Edwards and NBM? 

As for your assertions that we ‘have’ failed, that suggests it’s already a done deal and nothing we can do in the next almost six weeks will bring in the right players and the talent pool dilutes... where’s your evidence of this? What about squads up the food chain finalising their squads & other players becoming available either permanent or on loan? This is my whole point, people have the window written off with over five weeks still to go in it. I’ve said it before, would you rather have worse players available for 38 games or better ones for 34-36? 

Saying Gus has failed so far, does that mean it categorically will be a failure this summer? No, so that’s why it’s nonsense to judge right now. If a kid wakes up on Christmas morning and doesn’t like his first three presents but has another six to open, should he judge the Christmas morning as a failure? :lol:

You don't know what's going on behind the scenes so just another statement to back up your award of brown noser of the season.

Your continued, and we have a theme here, spouting that because we are in a mess right now doesn't mean Gus has failed.

WE, as a club, HAVE failed to qualify from a group that was as easy as it gets. 

A great opportunity for the club to make some money has gone with a whimper. 

All the rest is your usual smoke and mirrors as it's all subjective. 

PS That's why you're sad and lonely, all then shit Christmas presents have left you very bitter. :lol:

19 minutes ago, BuddieinEK said:

Tell that to the clubs like the Fakes, who also struggled.

Maybe all the talk of players still to come in has unsettled our current group of players?

The fakes should also be able to get by L2 & lowland league opponents. If our current players are unsettled that’s an issue for them & the coaches to resolve but they are to blame for the results. To think they are blameless after failing to beat EK is ridiculous. 

8 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You don't know what's going on behind the scenes so just another statement to back up your award of brown noser of the season.

Your continued, and we have a theme here, spouting that because we are in a mess right now doesn't mean Gus has failed.

WE, as a club, HAVE failed to qualify from a group that was as easy as it gets. 

A great opportunity for the club to make some money has gone with a whimper. 

All the rest is your usual smoke and mirrors as it's all subjective. 

PS That's why you're sad and lonely, all then shit Christmas presents have left you very bitter. :lol:

Yep I don’t and either does anyone else. That’s why I’m not making an assumption that nothing is happening or enough is happening. Yet again, my point is it’s too early to judge this summers recruitment not that it’s been a success ffs. This is basic stuff. I do fully BELIEVE enough is being done regarding research but I am not claiming to know. People on here are assuming he isn’t doing enough. 

Yep the failure is with the league cup qualification & yet again, that blame is with the players & coaches for not beating players 3 or 4 tiers below them. Not with recruitment, this squad should be able to beat EK & Albion, why is that even a point of discussion??? 

I’m not bitter in the slightest, just think it’s really sad the number of people that get a semi over anything they can show in a negative light regarding our club. 

2 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Yep I don’t and either does anyone else. That’s why I’m not making an assumption that nothing is happening or enough is happening. Yet again, my point is it’s too early to judge this summers recruitment not that it’s been a success ffs. This is basic stuff. I do fully BELIEVE enough is being done regarding research but I am not claiming to know. People on here are assuming he isn’t doing enough. 

Yep the failure is with the league cup qualification & yet again, that blame is with the players & coaches for not beating players 3 or 4 tiers below them. Not with recruitment, this squad should be able to beat EK & Albion, why is that even a point of discussion??? 

I’m not bitter in the slightest, just think it’s really sad the number of people that get a semi over anything they can show in a negative light regarding our club. 

While the current squad should have been capable of taking care of the opponents in the group you would be a fool not to realise that the lack of depth and quality was also a major factor. 

No, you take anything said against the club as negative, when many points are fair and should be discussed.

This idea anything is negative unless it suits the club line is fecking hilarious.

There's no doubt the LC starting in mid-July makes it a bit hit&miss that's been disappointing but not critical to the League campaign but we have barely had a starting 11 that could be regarded as top flight players available for these matches and dismissing lower league opposition as fodder is arrogant.

The pressing issue that worries me now is the bedding in time for the incoming players - if we fall behind at the start of the season can we count on another Great Escape?

Gus & Oran deserve the recognition that the January window was a success, although like 2017 it might turn out to have been an expensive success when the Financial Report is releases in November.

Regarding this window my opinion remains that Gus has not provided the continuity the DoF role was supposed to bring to the club.

Never a dull moment supporting Saints!

Edited by Bud the Baker

10 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

While the current squad should have been capable of taking care of the opponents in the group you would be a fool not to realise that the lack of depth and quality was also a major factor. 

No, you take anything said against the club as negative, when many points are fair and should be discussed.

This idea anything is negative unless it suits the club line is fecking hilarious.

The lack of depth impacted our defense meaning makeshift back fours, we didn't concede a goal. Everyone in front of the back four has played in the SP in the position they played the games in or was signed for the SP & will likely feature into next season. Yet again we were playing teams at least three tiers below us, the failure to win isn't a recruitment issue. People making it so are just using it to blame people like Gus & GLS because it's ultimately a go to for lots of contributors on here. 

Poor results, go nuts with your negativity, the players deserve blame and the coaching staff will shoulder their responsibility. I am absolutely fine with that. What I don't get is the boo boys making this about GLS & Gus when it isn't.

Also people have every right to be concerned regarding lack of activity and I have no issue with the frustration, yet again where my issue does lie is confusing lack of activity with lack of effort to scout, research and bring in players. That makes little sense. 

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

The lack of depth impacted our defense meaning makeshift back fours, we didn't concede a goal. Everyone in front of the back four has played in the SP in the position they played the games in or was signed for the SP & will likely feature into next season. Yet again we were playing teams at least three tiers below us, the failure to win isn't a recruitment issue. People making it so are just using it to blame people like Gus & GLS because it's ultimately a go to for lots of contributors on here. 

Poor results, go nuts with your negativity, the players deserve blame and the coaching staff will shoulder their responsibility. I am absolutely fine with that. What I don't get is the boo boys making this about GLS & Gus when it isn't.

Also people have every right to be concerned regarding lack of activity and I have no issue with the frustration, yet again where my issue does lie is confusing lack of activity with lack of effort to scout, research and bring in players. That makes little sense. 

The lack of depth IS the fault of the two you mention.

It was GS who appointed GM for what he himself claimed was meant to be a protection for any eventuality re management upheaval. This has not happened. Once again we are in disarray. IF Gus HAS been scouting and trying to get folk in he's doing a pish poor job of it as it would seem we are in exactly the same situation we were in before GS hired him to do the job. In fact I would say, as far as numbers are concerned, we are worse off than before he was hired to make things better.

It was GS who appointed the current management staff. If they are not up to the task then WTF would you blame other than the man who hired them?

Edited by stlucifer

Just now, faraway saint said:

If you're going to comeback with anything make sure you don't do the same thing again, and again, and again..................wee man. :lol:

As I said. Simple things amuse simple people. Glad to have made your day a little more fun wee man.