Why has the Director of Football failed?

20 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

The lack of depth IS the fault of the two you mention.

It was GS who appointed GM for what he himself claimed was meant to be a protection for any eventuality re management upheaval. This has not happened. Once again we are in disarray. IF Gus HAS been scouting and trying to get folk in he's doing a pish poor job of it as it would seem we are in exactly the same situation we were in before GS hired him to do the job. In fact I would say, as far as numbers are concerned, we are worse off than before he was hired to make things better.

It was GS who appointed the current management staff. If they are not up to the task then WTF would you blame other than the man who hired them?

Again why must it be a matter of fault? The only way that would work is if GLS had actively stood in the way of a deal/deals or Gus has done a poor job of identifying targets.

Do you factually know either of those situations have happened or is it potentially that we have struggled to get the quality we want & aren’t willing to budge on it like last season? Fool me once and all that. You are making a negative assumption without facts. Maybe you’re right & Gus has been sitting on his arse but assuming that in July is ridiculous  

Are you suggesting our current managerial appointment was a bad one already??? 

Simple, clear and sensible. In short, present responsibility sits with the manager, too early to rope the others into things just yet but eventually the buck stops with GLS. 

Rubbish, Jim has came to the club with the pittance of the squad he’s got. The board want to get the finger out & let the paying fans know what’s happening with signings ect. GLS as per usual will wait a few weeks then make a statement. I feel sorry for the supporters who fell for his bullshit !!

7 minutes ago, ged62 said:

Rubbish, Jim has came to the club with the pittance of the squad he’s got. The board want to get the finger out & let the paying fans know what’s happening with signings ect. GLS as per usual will wait a few weeks then make a statement. I feel sorry for the supporters who fell for his bullshit !!

What is it that you are taking offence at? 

Jim took the job and in doing so takes responsibility for performance and results. 

Of course like you, I suspect, he will have had conversations with people above him on bringing players in to fill the positions he think need to be filled. 

He has, rightly, rejected a few players he had had a look at. 

I fully accept that Gus should be judged on how well he provides Jim with pkayers of t h e right calibre. 

But... Its too soon to judge that imo.

56 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Again why must it be a matter of fault? The only way that would work is if GLS had actively stood in the way of a deal/deals or Gus has done a poor job of identifying targets.

Do you factually know either of those situations have happened or is it potentially that we have struggled to get the quality we want & aren’t willing to budge on it like last season? Fool me once and all that. You are making a negative assumption without facts. Maybe you’re right & Gus has been sitting on his arse but assuming that in July is ridiculous  

Are you suggesting our current managerial appointment was a bad one already??? 

I'm comparing like for like and we are no further forward in terms of playing staff than we were at the same stage in seasons without GM at the helm. Quite simply. He has added nothing as I write. It's the only thing I have to gauge his performance.

As for the last part. that's a bit unnecessary as I have stated categorically that I felt JG was the wrong appointment. Nothing so far has made me change that opinion. On the contrary. I am becoming ever more sure as the games progress. 

I do hope I'm as wrong with this as I was with JR but the signs aren't good.

According to the BBC website out of the 12 SPL clubs, only Kilmarnock and St Johnstone have recruited fewer players than us - and it could be argued that they do not have the same desperate need to improve from last season's performances:-

Aberdeen - 9 signings + 2 loans

Celtic - 3 signings

Hamilton Accies - 9 signings

Hearts - 4 signings

Hibs - 6 signings + 1 loan

Kilmarnock - 1 signing + 1 loan

Livingstone - 5 signings + 1 loan

Motherwell - 8 signings + 1 loan

Newco - 7 signings + 1 loan

Ross County - 5 signings + 2 loans

St Johnstone - 2 signings

St Mirren - 3 signings

These figures don't take account of outgoing players/loans ended but the situation does not reflect well on Gus and his role in the depressing chaos we find ourselves.

10 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

According to the BBC website out of the 12 SPL clubs, only Kilmarnock and St Johnstone have recruited fewer players than us - and it could be argued that they do not have the same desperate need to improve from last season's performances:-

Aberdeen - 9 signings + 2 loans

Celtic - 3 signings

Hamilton Accies - 9 signings

Hearts - 4 signings

Hibs - 6 signings + 1 loan

Kilmarnock - 1 signing + 1 loan

Livingstone - 5 signings + 1 loan

Motherwell - 8 signings + 1 loan

Newco - 7 signings + 1 loan

Ross County - 5 signings + 2 loans

St Johnstone - 2 signings

St Mirren - 3 signings

These figures don't take account of outgoing players/loans ended but the situation does not reflect well on Gus and his role in the depressing chaos we find ourselves.

As far as I am aware Killie and St Johnstone didn't lose / release a full team of players at the end of the season either.

3 hours ago, whydowebother said:

Bojo has had a clearout of similar proportions that we require

JG needs to assemble his team sooner rather than later

3 new players ( minimum ) announced before the Hibs game should give the re-moaners something else to focus on

3 more.... try 6 more (minimum) required! 

Saying Gus has failed so far, does that mean it categorically will be a failure this summer? No, so that’s why it’s nonsense to judge right now. If a kid wakes up on Christmas morning and doesn’t like his first three presents but has another six to open, should he judge the Christmas morning as a failure? :lol:

No, it means that so far he’s failed to bring in the right players. That’s been my point all along. You accepted that the squad isn’t where it should be right now and I equate that with Gus not doing a great job up to his point.

When the Apollo 13 astronauts were coming back to Earth they had to burn their thrusters for a few seconds to correct their course or they’d had bounced of the atmosphere and drifted into space. Mission control thankfully didn’t wait to see what happened. They felt something was wrong and took action. Now, if you can just imagine our squad is the LEM returning to Earth.......🤣

5 hours ago, faraway saint said:

You don't know what's going on behind the scenes(but you do?) so just another statement to back up your award of brown noser of the season.

Your continued, and we have a theme here, spouting that because we are in a mess right now doesn't mean Gus has failed. But your spouting is correct?

WE, as a club, HAVE failed to qualify from a group that was as easy as it gets. The Royal we one assumes so your a f*ck up as well?

A great opportunity for the club to make some money has gone with a whimper. You ARE an excellent whiperererer!

All the rest is your usual smoke and mirrors as it's all subjective.  And your opinion is NOT?

PS That's why you're sad and lonely, all then shit Christmas presents have left you very bitter. Transference methinks

Have a nice day

4 minutes ago, DLBud said:

No, it means that so far he’s failed to bring in the right players. That’s been my point all along. You accepted that the squad isn’t where it should be right now and I equate that with Gus not doing a great job up to his point.

When the Apollo 13 astronauts were coming back to Earth they had to burn their thrusters for a few seconds to correct their course or they’d had bounced of the atmosphere and drifted into space. Mission control thankfully didn’t wait to see what happened. They felt something was wrong and took action. Now, if you can just imagine our squad is the LEM returning to Earth.......🤣

You actually believe they went to the moon 🤣

12 hours ago, stlucifer said:

I'm comparing like for like and we are no further forward in terms of playing staff than we were at the same stage in seasons without GM at the helm. Quite simply. He has added nothing as I write. It's the only thing I have to gauge his performance.

As for the last part. that's a bit unnecessary as I have stated categorically that I felt JG was the wrong appointment. Nothing so far has made me change that opinion. On the contrary. I am becoming ever more sure as the games progress. 

I do hope I'm as wrong with this as I was with JR but the signs aren't good.

You don’t think we’re further ahead? Really? Last season we had either signed or were about to sign players far from good enough at this level. That doesn’t appear to have happened/ don’t assume is happening now?

Jim Goodwin’s record puts him down as the best option available. People that said otherwise all failed to give even one suitable alternative. Yes he’ll need to shoulder some of the blame for the league cup campaign but there won’t be signs he was a poor appointment until he gets a few more game at least & more of his own players in.  

9 hours ago, DLBud said:

What’s your evidence it’s gus not doing a great job? For all we know he’s supplied a full list of number 1 targets, back up targets, all well scouted and ready to go. The struggle could be getting the players over the line, players knocking us back, us working through the list. JG ‘list as long as my arm’ comment backs me up on this. 

Was anyone looking at EK and Albion has a potential bounce off the atmosphere hazard for our current squad? It should have been a cake walk. 

8 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

What’s your evidence it’s gus not doing a great job? For all we know he’s supplied a full list of number 1 targets, back up targets, all well scouted and ready to go. The struggle could be getting the players over the line, players knocking us back, us working through the list. JG ‘list as long as my arm’ comment backs me up on this. 

Was anyone looking at EK and Albion has a potential bounce off the atmosphere hazard for our current squad? It should have been a cake walk. 

Yet again you revert to your "where's your evidence" when everybody knows this is impossible to provide.

People are forming an opinion on what they see, or don't in the case of new players.

You have no evidence anything is being done behind the scenes, do you? 

Most of these type of debates are opinions, many based on the facts on no new players.

Sure, there MIGHT be some things happening behind the scenes but it's clear these efforts are not producing anything close to the requirements of the team, that's what people are interested in.

The early upbeat feeling has all but gone and the feeling of a long hard unrewarding season is hanging over the place like a dark cloud. 

No one can tell what will happen but the seeds are sown that at least the short term, which could see us struggle, we are early candidates for relegation.

Hardly what people were feeling at the end of last season, well some. 

Who's responsible for this, most people realise the people/person at the top is where the buck stops, as upsetting as that seems to be for you. 

1 minute ago, faraway saint said:

Yet again you revert to your "where's your evidence" when everybody knows this is impossible to provide.

People are forming an opinion on what they see, or don't in the case of new players.

You have no evidence anything is being done behind the scenes, do you? 

Most of these type of debates are opinions, many based on the facts on no new players.

Sure, there MIGHT be some things happening behind the scenes but it's clear these efforts are not producing anything close to the requirements of the team, that's what people are interested in.

The early upbeat feeling has all but gone and the feeling of a long hard unrewarding season is hanging over the place like a dark cloud. 

No one can tell what will happen but the seeds are sown that at least the short term, which could see us struggle, we are early candidates for relegation.

Hardly what people were feeling at the end of last season, well some. 

Who's responsible for this, most people realise the people/person at the top is where the buck stops, as upsetting as that seems to be for you. 

I know it’s impossible to provide, exactly why I am not assuming he has or hasn’t. My whole point is why other people are assuming it’s all big bad Gus fault. 

So you seem to agree that it’s impossible to know, so it begs the question. Why are people forming an opinion against Gus? Surely his track record in his only full window would allow him some benefit of the doubt/ time to see the outcome. Is it important to people to judge the man five weeks before the window closes? 

You then contradict yourself, how exactly is it ‘clear’ they aren’t producing the results? Do you mean as of today or as of when it stops being possible to sign contracted players? People as usual far too quick to judge & attach blame. The right quality of player just might not be available to get over the line yet, again would people rather we did what we did last season & sign rubbish because it’s quicker? 

Rest is the usual doom and gloom from you. The want to attach blame, when we don’t know the mitigating circumstance, so assume someone isn’t doing their job. 

3 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

I know it’s impossible to provide, exactly why I am not assuming he has or hasn’t. My whole point is why other people are assuming it’s all big bad Gus fault. 

So you seem to agree that it’s impossible to know, so it begs the question. Why are people forming an opinion against Gus? Surely his track record in his only full window would allow him some benefit of the doubt/ time to see the outcome. Is it important to people to judge the man five weeks before the window closes? 

You then contradict yourself, how exactly is it ‘clear’ they aren’t producing the results? Do you mean as of today or as of when it stops being possible to sign contracted players? People as usual far too quick to judge & attach blame. The right quality of player just might not be available to get over the line yet, again would people rather we did what we did last season & sign rubbish because it’s quicker? 

Rest is the usual doom and gloom from you. The want to attach blame, when we don’t know the mitigating circumstance, so assume someone isn’t doing their job. 

FFS! :byebye