Why has the Director of Football failed?

It is a little too early to blame Gus in what appears to be a shortfall in the expectation of new players being signed.  There will be players coming aboard soon.  In the meantime, the positive psychology of the 'lesser' teams playing the 'bigger' teams will be reversed next Saturday in our favour and believe me it will.

Today the manager had one full back and one centre half. 6 or 7 central midfielders and 2 strikers.

Yes Jim deserves to take some criticism (and I’m sure he will be critical of himself), but FFS the guy needs a hand. No matter what anyone says this was a piss easy group and a chance to build momentum before a really tough start to the season and it’s been blown. We will be potentially putting 5 or 6 new players into the team and expect them to gel against teams like Hibs, Aberdeen and Rangers. This cup is when that should have been happening.

53 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

Again how do you know he’s failing to? It’s easy to say we should have signed a bunch of players already but swift business isn’t always right business. Dundee & St Mirren we’re both very sharp last season. 

If the right players aren’t available when we want them it’s outside Gus or anyone else’s control. My view is, we should have been okay taking time to get players in because this group should have been a cake walk for the players currently hear. 

Would people be crying over Gus is we had won all four games? 

The point is we haven't and I am on your side

[quote post="1657667" timestamp="1563917947" name="bazil85"
Would people be crying over Gus is we had won all four games? 

We didn’t win four games though, hence the scrutiny of the signing strategy and the complete lack of balance in the squad.

With less than two weeks to go until the league starts our squad is a shambles and our play reflects that. Even if we bring players in over the next week it will take time for them to settle and integrate into the squad and that’ll be the next excuse you’ll trot out for Gus.

We should be in better shape than we are right now. That’s indisputable. Nobody expects this squad to be finished but I don’t believe anyone thought it would be such a mess and the guy who is charged with bringing players in needs to carry the can for that.

1 hour ago, Wendy Saintss said:

Regardless of the lack of signings, we should have been able to score at least 1 goal in open play against Edinburgh City, East Kilbride and Albion Rovers!

This is worse than Stubbs!

Correct and a bit of a worry. Listening to Goodwin's interview wonder if our targets are unrealistic this season. I'm sure we are looked upon as one of relegation favourites as such players are not wanting to jump into the fire. 

2 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Correct and a bit of a worry. Listening to Goodwin's interview wonder if our targets are unrealistic this season. I'm sure we are looked upon as one of relegation favourites as such players are not wanting to jump into the fire. 

Indeed, can you imagine if we approach a player and he see's the fecking results in the league cup?

Run a fecking mile.

It's all ok, we were told, the club have this under control.

The current squad are performing like amateurs, and that's probably an insult to many amateur teams. 

Not sure why we can’t be competitive for both tbh?

If you took Popescu, Muzek, McAllister, Lyons, Jackson, Dreyer, Hodson and Nazon out of last season’s squad we’d have gone down comfortably. They’ve all left and we’ve replaced them with Andreu and Djorkaeff.

I agree we should still have enough to beat the teams put in front of us but we’ve no width, no left back, no quality at centre back, little guile in midfield and back up strikers as first choice.

You don’t need to wait until he’s finished to assess things now. It’s not good enough and you’re trying to defend the indefensible here.

Gus has one job and he’s failing at it right now.

And don't forget, no pace. Anywhere.

On 7/21/2019 at 11:44 AM, proudtobeabuddy said:

I agree to an extent but it works a hell of a lot better when the we have stability in the managerial department.

The Fakes have had that kind of stability for years and it looks like their foundations are shaky too. (They have also fallen out of the cup)

Oh they will likely do better than us in the season ahead - but sometimes complacency sets in - and the consequences kick in too.

Last Season Paul McGinn and Kellerman  were pre-signed - this season only the Brazilian Zilchio - What are Gus and Co doing? Andreu and The Djork may be decent squad players, but are they the quality we are looking for?

I don't really buy this we are waiting on quality or we held off till the new manager is in place - Gus's role was supposed to give us stability, while what we have is 1/2 a squad, having lost the creative other half...

It is too early to panic - but we need to learn big time from this. It seems that every season we are having to learn more new things . . .  :ninja

On 7/21/2019 at 8:13 PM, proudtobeabuddy said:

I listened to that and i don't blame him for saying it... all that confirms is he's not going to be a yes man who does what he's told, which is good.  I think it's healthy for any relationship between Gus and Jim to work that he's up front and honest from the start.

How did that work out then between Gus and Oran?

The Fakes have had that kind of stability for years and it looks like their foundations are shaky too. (They have also fallen out of the cup)
Oh they will likely do better than us in the season ahead - but sometimes complacency sets in - and the consequences kick in too.
Last Season Paul McGinn and Kellerman  were pre-signed - this season only the Brazilian Zilchio - What are Gus and Co doing? Andreu and The Djork may be decent squad players, but are they the quality we are looking for?
I don't really buy this we are waiting on quality or we held off till the new manager is in place - Gus's role was supposed to give us stability, while what we have is 1/2 a squad, having lost the creative other half...
It is too early to panic - but we need to learn big time from this. It seems that every season we are having to learn more new things . . .  :ninja
Losing, or nor resigning, Muzak (and Hodson) was bad, but not bringing Popescu back is a disaster. Baird played much better beside him and those two along with Gary and Hladky were a solid foundation we should have been building on.
And what about Dreyer and McAllister? I haven't heard anything about them either.

I am hoping we are in touch with their clubs about repeating the loan for this season.
I'd feel a lot happier if these three returned even if it meant the remaining budget would be spread thinner. That's when Gus should be earning his corn, finding a couple of youmg/cheap gems willing to use us a stepping stone to bigger and better things.

The current situation is certainly not ideal but it is far from a hopeless lost cause. Yet.

35 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

But how exactly is GLS & Gus to blame for professional footballers not being able to beat semi professional footballers? 

It is their responsibility to provide the club with  what is required.

Squad not good enough

Manager may or may not be good enough

The BUCK stops with them 

51 minutes ago, Sweeper07 said:

Would not underestimate the Jonneys just yet the have quite a few injuries in defence.  Just brought in a new centre back from eastern Europe funnily enough and Stvie May going back to his roots. Saying all that its us I'm concerned about. 

23 minutes ago, alanb said:

It is their responsibility to provide the club with  what is required.

Squad not good enough

Manager may or may not be good enough

The BUCK stops with them 

The squad isn't good enough to beat a lower league and league 2 side?? Are you serious? We had a makeshift defense yes but didn't concede a goal. Mullen, Cooke, McGinn, Flynn, Magennis, Djorkaeff & Andreu have all either played in the top flight or been signed for this seasons top flight squad. It is categorically not a 'provide' player issue regarding the last three results. 

The buck for these results stops with the players on the park and management, not Gus and GLS. 

I don't doubt that Gus and Tony are working extremely hard to bring in new players. However, I find it hard to understand why the Club is always shocked at the going rate for players wages and seem to expect successful signings by making unacceptably low wage offers. This is why we have 15 signed players with days to go before the new season starts. 

34 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

The squad isn't good enough to beat a lower league and league 2 side?? Are you serious? We had a makeshift defense yes but didn't concede a goal. Mullen, Cooke, McGinn, Flynn, Magennis, Djorkaeff & Andreu have all either played in the top flight or been signed for this seasons top flight squad. It is categorically not a 'provide' player issue regarding the last three results. 

The buck for these results stops with the players on the park and management, not Gus and GLS. 

Playing results are rightly down to the Manager and players. You are right. 

Our current players should have been good enough to see off all three of Edinburgh City, East Kilbride and Albion Rovers.  Dunfermline waa always going to be trickier. 

Now the focus is on Gus and Jim combining with Tony to build the squad. 

I don't doubt that Gus and Tony are working extremely hard to bring in new players. However, I find it hard to understand why the Club is always shocked at the going rate for players wages and seem to expect successful signings by making unacceptably low wage offers. This is why we have 15 signed players with days to go before the new season starts. 
As someone else asked, is Sam Jamieson one of those 15 players ? What happened to him ?