Jump to content

The Jim Goodwin and Lee Sharp Appreciation Thread


TopCat
 Share

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Does that statement not seem a bit late?

They could’ve said that a couple of days ago.

I thought the interviews were concluded yesterday so it’s stating the obvious a bit now is it not. 

Approached but did they give permission  ,is there ,was there an interview???

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I just want this done now.

He wants to explore the vacancy. I get they have a bigger fan base and have bigger budget, but if he doesn't get the control he likes, he might not go.

If we have ambition we are the same as Aberdeen, but without the budget. Surely every club, other than the OF are the same? In an Ideal world you want to finish highest at 3rd, Want to progress/win cups, want European football? So the control and budget are then the selling points, no?

Currently we are are 6th. They are 8th. League cup we both got knocked out 2nd round I think. Scottish cup we are into the 6th round and Aberdeen are out. We look totally in a better position, all is just money, which is a shame, but understandable. I just hate how Aberdeen are up their own arse with their famous Aberdeen bull shit.

Sorry ranting. I know managers come and go, but we have finally got good vibe, good momentum, potential to finish top 6 and those pricks come in and unsettle it all.

I just want it sorted quickly.


Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sensible move for Goodwin and probably for the club.

All it would take is fo us to lose two or three games, slip down the league a few places and Goodwin would be worth nothing.

This way the club get 250K. None of the players can leave before summer. And Goodwin can easily be replaced with someone just as effective.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's rotten timing for us but a good time to take the reigns at the Dons. 

Even a mediocre manager should be able to improve on their league position and offload their overpaid mediocre players for better.

It's all about us though... have we got a good plan on place to utilise the compensation money and install a new management team that can get us 4th place... high goal but is very possible if we keep clicking and don't end up with loads of draws, or defeats 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ll throw this into the mix, apologies if it’s been mentioned before .

Perhaps Fitzys departure might have had a bearing on Goody’s thinking. ? 🤷‍♂️
 

I know Fitz thinks the world of Goody and from what I could see the feeling was mutual . Could the dons move simply have come at a time where Goody was pondering what the future might hold at Buddies ?

I really don’t know if this is the case and if it has had some influence on Jim’s thinking , was just wondering , perhaps ? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

I just want this done now.

He wants to explore the vacancy. I get they have a bigger fan base and have bigger budget, but if he doesn't get the control he likes, he might not go.

If we have ambition we are the same as Aberdeen, but without the budget. Surely every club, other than the OF are the same? In an Ideal world you want to finish highest at 3rd, Want to progress/win cups, want European football? So the control and budget are then the selling points, no?

Currently we are are 6th. They are 8th. League cup we both got knocked out 2nd round I think. Scottish cup we are into the 6th round and Aberdeen are out. We look totally in a better position, all is just money, which is a shame, but understandable. I just hate how Aberdeen are up their own arse with their famous Aberdeen bull shit.

Sorry ranting. I know managers come and go, but we have finally got good vibe, good momentum, potential to finish top 6 and those pricks come in and unsettle it all.

I just want it sorted quickly.


Sent from my IN2023 using Tapatalk
 

Aberdeen are  a way bigger club than St Mirren and Jim Goodwin will take this job if offered it.

He will have a way bigger budget, stability of squad and can only go upwards.

Great stepping stone for him if he reaches the potential that is being attributed to him.

Wonder if he would have been in the running 7 games back ??

Was interested to see how we would perform over next 3 games before really getting exited about any prospects we have.

Personally if we can attract Jack Ross or Malky Mackay type to SMFC then I'm not overly fussed.

Plenty of decent managers out of work at the moment who would be good appointments and every bit as capable as JG in my opinion. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I’ll throw this into the mix, apologies if it’s been mentioned before .

Perhaps Fitzys departure might have had a bearing on Goody’s thinking. ? 🤷‍♂️
 

I know Fitz thinks the world of Goody and from what I could see the feeling was mutual . Could the dons move simply have come at a time where Goody was pondering what the future might hold at Buddies ?

I really don’t know if this is the case and if it has had some influence on Jim’s thinking , was just wondering , perhaps ? 

Welcome back, that's funny.

Goodwin wouldn't be pondering anything if Aberdeen hadn't sacked Glass.

Bringing Tony into this is beyond the realms of reality.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like I was wrong about this. I'm pretty certain the deal's been done before both clubs announced this. I am still surprised the dons want to pay a quarter of a million quid when they have a few candidates who are at least of similar quality. If the deal isn't done then they are still benefitting from our team being in turmoil over the next few days after which they could appoint someone else.

 

ETAA: Is it sensible to let JG pick the team and tactics for tomorrow given he might benefit from us losing?

Edited by stlucifer
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Looks like I was wrong about this. I'm pretty certain the deal's been done before both clubs announced this. I am still surprised the dons want to pay a quarter of a million quid when they have a few candidates who are at least of similar quality. If the deal isn't done then they are still benefitting from our team being in turmoil over the next few days after which they could appoint someone else.

 

ETAA: Is it sensible to let JG pick the team and tactics for tomorrow given he might benefit from us losing?

McManus picking the team. If JG is gone he will have NO influence

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

ETAA: Is it sensible to let JG pick the team and tactics for tomorrow given he might benefit from us losing?

You don't get to be successful in life by being petty about things like that. If Jim is still the manager he'll be doing everything he can do to win the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I am slightly surprised with the Aberdeen interest. As others have stated 7 games ago, would he have been in the mix........ I really doubt it.

Yes, it's all about timing and in that respect another Saints manager (JG) has had a semi-reasonable run of results (not dissimilar to Ross at the time when he went to Sunderland) and is hyped up as being the next best thing since sliced bread.

As I said in a previous post, he will go if offered the post, if for no other reason his stock right now is pretty high in Scottish terms, but Aberdeen are taking another financial gamble and their patience may not be that long if it takes two to three years to sort out their basic problems.

As for the knicker wetters out there, there are quite a number of good people who would be interested in the Paisley job right now. Yes it's disruptive, but we certainly shouldn't be pessimistic, nor fatalistic that we still can make the top 6.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I'm pretty certain the deal's been done before both clubs announced this.

If the deal isn't done then they are still benefitting from our team being in turmoil over the next few days after which they could appoint someone else.

 

 

If the deal had been done, then there would be no turmoil and we may have had new manager in place, if he was up for it(JR)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, alanb said:

Losing managers like this is always disappointing but much more preferable than having to sack them instead.

Very true. A sign that we have benefited from having them at the club so a win win

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...