St Mirren v Celtic SPFL PREMIERSHIP 2/1/24

shull

1 hour ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Just back. Seldom are games over and done with in less than a minute, this was an exception. But for our goalie, it could have been a cricket score. Glad football ceased for a few weeks as it’s been misery recently. Oh, did you go ?

yup. I stayed until the end and supported the team.

It’s always going to be difficult against opponents with such vast resources. 

7 minutes ago, Albanian Buddy said:

yup. I stayed until the end and supported the team.

It’s always going to be difficult against opponents with such vast resources. 

So did i..... the boys gave 100% second 45.... and we are 5th after all

7 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Not gonnae lie, I’m surprised so many people as saying things like “Elvis seems a player” etc.

I’m not saying he did anything bad but neither did he do anything particularly good. What is it that people saw in him?

Showed some good touches, not scared of going into a challenge, looked like he might have some pace. 

Although hard to give an opinion on such a short cameo against a high level of opposition, on tonight showing he looked absolutely fine at our level. 

Game over in under 10 mins was very deflating. Brave move by the manager to play 2 up top but that decision left CBM and Flynn chasing shadows in the middle as they were ran over the top off by McGregor and O'Reilly for the whole of the first half.

I agree we need to get Gogic back into the middle of the pitch, I also don't think we need to play with 3 centre half's in all our games, as this puts all the pressure on the wing backs to deliver in every game. The loss of Strain in this position has certainly affected us recently in results and performance. If we do stick (which I am sure we will!) with the system hopefully Elvis will improve us on the right hand side.

Hopefully the manager can do some wheeling and dealing over the next few weeks and get a couple of fresh faces in. 

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Not gonnae lie, I’m surprised so many people as saying things like “Elvis seems a player” etc.

I’m not saying he did anything bad but neither did he do anything particularly good. What is it that people saw in him?

The only surprise was that no one at the club had told Elvis that majority of decisions go in favour of the OF.

We have seen some decent recruits in recent times under this leadership. Time will tell whether this guy is any good.

Strain and Baccus were unknowns and proved good signings. Some argued very forcefully that Zach was no good yet he turns in many great performances for a young keeper.

I understand why Flynn was chosen by Robinson for this game due to his experience but I’d rather have seen us not start Ryan and instead used Small or Dunne in defence and moved Gogic into midfield. 

Robbo has been very loyal with Ryan but I’m afraid to say it’s time for younger players to step forward.

I also felt that Lewis Jamieson should have started in place of Olusanya. 

Game was over after 6minutes which was a disaster that we have seen many times down the years. 

2 minutes ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Sending off aside - Olusanya is f**king gash. Not good enough for this level.  
He had half a dozen good games early in the season but now he has reverted to the guy who couldn’t get a stats in an absolute shit Arbroath team .

Why the f**k does he get a start. ? 

I assume it was to use his pace to run at a very newish centre half pairing, not that bad an idea but unfortunately the 2 early goals completely killed this game plan.

I am sure that the manager will be looking to move on at least 2 of our tombolo strikers over this transfer window.

2 minutes ago, party politics said:

I assume it was to use his pace to run at a very newish centre half pairing, not that bad an idea but unfortunately the 2 early goals completely killed this game plan.

I am sure that the manager will be looking to move on at least 2 of our tombolo strikers over this transfer window.

Pace is only effective if you remember to take the f**k8ng ball with you !!

Olusanya is a national league south player at best ! 

1 hour ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

Sending off aside - Olusanya is f**king gash. Not good enough for this level.  
He had half a dozen good games early in the season but now he has reverted to the guy who couldn’t get a stats in an absolute shit Arbroath team .

Why the f**k does he get a start. ? 

Thank Christ....   I was beginning to think I was going nuts seeing things others weren't   👀

Olusanya was well within his rights to make an attempt for that ball Hart was also well within his rights to dive into a dangerous situation

The ref got it correct with the yellow card VAR got it wrong with the red 

1 hour ago, HSS said:

Olusanya was well within his rights to make an attempt for that ball Hart was also well within his rights to dive into a dangerous situation

The ref got it correct with the yellow card VAR got it wrong with the red 

Sadly they didn’t though. Endangering an opponent whether deliberate or not, is (albeit ridiculously) a straight red. Them’s the rules now. Bloody stupid. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

26 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Sadly they didn’t though. Endangering an opponent whether deliberate or not, is (albeit ridiculously) a straight red. Them’s the rules now. Bloody stupid. 

I don't remember any sanction for Maeda (I think) barging Hemming into the advertising boards after he had cleared the ball on the sideline. That looked

a) deliberate and

b) endangering an opponent.

I watched the game live on TV, not sure if it appeared on the highlights for those of you at the match.

4 minutes ago, ianmac said:

I don't remember any sanction for Maeda (I think) barging Hemming into the advertising boards after he had cleared the ball on the sideline. That looked

a) deliberate and

I watched the game live on TV, not sure if it appeared on the highlights for those of you at the match.

Correct, nor the acrobatic overhead kick in the midfield which meant Tanser (I think) pulling out of a header when the ref shouted and waved his finger at the Celtic player but failed to give a free-kick to Saints despite there being no advantage.

17 minutes ago, ianmac said:

a) deliberate and

12 minutes ago, WeeBud said:

Correct, nor the acrobatic overhead kick in the midfield which meant Tanser (I think) pulling out of a header when the ref shouted and waved his finger at the Celtic player but failed to give a free-kick to Saints despite there being no advantage.

Inconsistencies don’t mean VAR was incorrect in the Olusanya incident. It means they were wrong on the other ones (although I couldn’t comment as I don’t recall the incidents being referred to). 
I was only responding to HSS’s assertion that VAR got it wrong. They didn’t. 
ETA - the 2 incidents being referred to don’t sound much like a straight legged studding to the face of an opponent. Especially a goalie who we all know are protected more than any other species. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Inconsistencies don’t mean VAR was incorrect in the Olusanya incident. It means they were wrong on the other ones (although I couldn’t comment as I don’t recall the incidents being referred to). 
ETA - the 2 incidents being referred to don’t sound much like a straight legged studding to the face of an opponent. Especially a goalie who we all know are protected more than any other species. 

No disagreement from me there Buddy, I was just highlighting the inconsistency in what they do and don’t deal with which is more down to the on-field referee.

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

As things stand with VAR, I agree it should be a red card, but how low would Hart have to be before it is his own fault? I don't think that when Craig Gordon got his bad injury throwing himself at the forward's feet there was any red card.

20 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Elvis Bwomono looked relatively fast, he was aggressive in his attacks and tackles.  He looks like he'll do well against teams outside Celtic and The Rangers.

I'll give him my backing just like every player who put on a St. Mirren jersey and he won't cost us much to begin with so a win-win situation for St. Mirren, Elvis and the fans.

1 hour ago, ianmac said:

As things stand with VAR, I agree it should be a red card, but how low would Hart have to be before it is his own fault? I don't think that when Craig Gordon got his bad injury throwing himself at the forward's feet there was any red card.

These rules are so awkward and there is always going to be controversy. What for example if Hart came out to clear the ball with a puch and wiped out the striker accidentally by connecting to his head is that a red card? I don't think that there's any malice and to the letter of the law it's a red , however I think a yellow consistently applied should be the punishment unless it is malicious.