Where will we finish in league .

elvis

One point from a possible 9 is worrying, but I support the manager's decision today to change to a more attacking line-up when 0-2 down at HT. A passive approach would never salvage anything at that stage.

A lot of arses will be getting kicked tonight for sure.

We have a good, very capable team. But we almost giften them a goal from the start, with Taylor losing possession in the box. 

Maybe playing midweek didn't help? 

I genuinely think we could finish in the top four, but today's display was shocking and appalling. 

4 minutes ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

If we can regain our previous form then I'd say sixth.

At the moment though, a "bottom six" finish looks more likely and my guess on current form is eighth.

Yesterday aside, our two losses have come against the Old Firm - against Rangers we were down to ten men for most of the game and we played very well against the Champions. Our games against Hibs and Dundee have taken place when a bug was going through the squad. I'm not sure it's justifiable to suggest that we're bottom-six candidates just yet. Also playing midweek prior to the Dundee game, when their own players were rested, was not ideal. Everyone has a bad day at the office, particularly when under the weather.

We have Livingston and Ross County coming up, let's hope we can get decent results against these.

13 minutes ago, W6er said:

Yesterday aside, our two losses have come against the Old Firm - against Rangers we were down to ten men for most of the game and we played very well against the Champions. Our games against Hibs and Dundee have taken place when a bug was going through the squad. I'm not sure it's justifiable to suggest that we're bottom-six candidates just yet. Also playing midweek prior to the Dundee game, when their own players were rested, was not ideal. Everyone has a bad day at the office, particularly when under the weather.

We have Livingston and Ross County coming up, let's hope we can get decent results against these.

Good post.

The only bit I query is having a midweek game.  Players are often quoted as saying they prefer playing matches to training etc., and they should be able to cope with two games in a seven day period.  Tennis players don't get as much time in between their matches, some athletes don't get as much time in between their events either, especially if they compete in more than one sport.

As you correctly pointed out though, a sickness bug had been going through the camp so that has probably played a huge part.  I just think under normal circumstances, footballers shouldn't really moan about the number of games in a seven day period.  If they strive to win cups, play in European competitions etc., then they have to play more than one game per week.  It goes with the territory and they are privileged to be in such a position.

6 hours ago, W6er said:

Yeah, Elvis’ question will be easily answered after these 2 games. Win both then top 4. Lose both then top 6. 

1 hour ago, stlucifer said:

Not to mention calling the pair "the old firm" since one is newer than our stadium.

It’s kind of understandable why people use that term to describe those two clubs given the legalities. 

“The Intellectual Property Office states that Celtic and Rangers are the registered joint owners of the terms "Old Firm" and "The Old Firm".

Just last Tuesday the term "Old Firm" was renewed by both parties. The Intellectual Property Office website states: "Trademark has been renewed on 02/03/2021."

Personally I prefer “The Arse Cheeks”. 

It’s clear that both clubs use bigotry and sectarianism to justify their position in Scottish football. They basically use this “unique” atmosphere and “oldest rivalry” bollocks to promote the game to get money. It’s quite sickening when you consider the impact and hatred that causes. Rivals? My arse! Business partners. The SPFL voting system confirms that. Milne of Aberdeen was the selfish idiot who put money ahead of morals when the other top flight clubs had an opportunity to resolve that situation. 

As we all know it’s a disgusting cancer on our society.

To me there is absolutely nothing to be proud of about this game. Yet the clubs,  football authorities, police and government let this happen year after year. 

After the cup final riot of 1980 both clubs should have been booted out of the following season competition. 

Scotlands shame. 

2 hours ago, portmahomack saint said:

If we can somehow bring in a bit of quality {better than we have especially up front] in the transfer window 6th for sure, we could possibly pip either Hearts Hibs or Aberdeen for 5th or a magical 4th.....

money talks in this league so back the club with some readies if you want success... simple 

We're the third top highest scorers in the league so far. I'd suggest that keeping things tighter at the back will give a better chance of success. 

On 11/11/2023 at 6:53 PM, W6er said:

We have a good, very capable team. But we almost giften them a goal from the start, with Taylor losing possession in the box. 

Maybe playing midweek didn't help? 

I genuinely think we could finish in the top four, but today's display was shocking and appalling. 

I hope that wasn’t a factor , because if it was I’d be worried. 

If we have suffered because of two games in a week, how are we going to cope with 9 games in six weeks up to the year end ?  
if tiredness is an issue, we need to use the limited pool of players wisely .  Need to see more of Nahmani, Grieve, Bolton etc .  
let’s hope it was simply a little glitch in what has so far been a very impressive season. 

3 hours ago, Callum Gilhooley said:

I hope that wasn’t a factor , because if it was I’d be worried. 

If we have suffered because of two games in a week, how are we going to cope with 9 games in six weeks up to the year end ?  
if tiredness is an issue, we need to use the limited pool of players wisely .  Need to see more of Nahmani, Grieve, Bolton etc .  
let’s hope it was simply a little glitch in what has so far been a very impressive season. 

It's relative. The Dundee players were well rested. I have noticed that the Old Firm often drop points after midweek European games. 

We have a decent squad of players but will need some luck with injuries and suspensions to maintain our top six spot ………… take Rangers and Celtic out and the remaining 10 teams are all capable of beating each other on any given day. It’s fine margins and we need at least 7 or 8 players to be on their game each match. On Saturday we fell way short of that and got punished 

Still no big difference outsideUgly sisters...anyone can beat anyone....you have to think Dons and Hearts will be looking at new managers...maybe Well... Livi must go down and take that pitch with them....i will happily take 5th.... Europe..beat a team from Wales then lose to a decent team.... Lab will win next election... Trump will be president and it will rain a lot...

Edited by DougJamie

The answer to the question posed in this thread title probably hinges on the January window and the ambitions of our board.

Our current squad, with our current management team, is certainly capable of a top-6 finish, potentially 4th or 5th.

However, with a few key players whose contracts terminate in June 24 (Baccus, Strain, others ?) there will be a strong temptation for the board to sell some of these key assets in January rather than lose them for zilch next summer. This attitude, while disappointing, is also understandable as any transfer income gained could be the key to the development of our squad for 2014-15. Sadly economic reality dictates that St Mirren will always be a "selling" club. 

Should the board opt to sell or should they aim to achieve the optimal finishing place in this season? We can only wait and see.

16 hours ago, munoz said:

We're the third top highest scorers in the league so far. I'd suggest that keeping things tighter at the back will give a better chance of success. 

The manager is playing a more attacking game this season and I'd prefer if he sticks to that. The goals we have scored are spread all over the team, the midfield and defenders have all chipped in

Mandron is our top striker with 3 league goals 2 of those were against a disjointed St.Johnstone at the time,  We need better than that up front if we want to stay the course and even better a top 6 place, Compare what Aberdeen Hearts and Hibs have up front to us, 

IMO it doesn't compare and it will tell in the end

1 minute ago, elvis said:

I never started the thread to be doom and gloom I just think that people get carried away with how things are going. We have hit a bad patch and teams are now on our tails so was interested in where others see us finishing.

That's the way I took the thread and your opening post as well.

Haters just gotta hate though.