Ross Co (A) 27/2/24

Do RC get extra money for the coverage? If not I'm sure they'll be unhappy, as what little away support that may have travelled will almost certainly be impacted. by this decision.
Don't think so. Think there's a small payment to cover extra costs (electricity etc) but the rest is all down to league placing.

14 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Do RC get extra money for the coverage? If not I'm sure they'll be unhappy, as what little away support that may have travelled will almost certainly be impacted. by this decision.

Don’t most people have access to IPTV or some others means to watch games regardless of whether they are on Sky or not?

For example, I’m up in Scotland that week and intend to go to the game. The fact that it’s on Sky makes no odds to me because I could’ve watched it in my flat anyway if I’d wanted to. I still plan to go. I’d say most people prepared to travel to Dingwall on a Tuesday night in February are probably die hards who will go regardless. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Certainly won’t be on my, or I should imagine, most peoples tv. Just as a comment on the Celtic game ,which was covered by Sky tv, I could imagine the executives holding their heads after 6 minutes of a live match realising that thousands would be turning off as the game was over by that time. I cannot afford to subscribe, nor have interest In the vast majority of their output anyway, so no sympathy for Sky, or the other companies. 

On 1/7/2024 at 2:32 PM, Callum Gilhooley said:

I’ve already booked my hotel ( had to switch from the original 28th date ) as I’ll be up there working 😎👍

Blimey. Well reminded mate. I’ll need to change mine! 👍

ETA - £11 cheaper on the Tuesday night. 😄

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

On 1/7/2024 at 1:02 PM, Saint@Johnstone said:

Certainly won’t be on my, or I should imagine, most peoples tv. Just as a comment on the Celtic game ,which was covered by Sky tv, I could imagine the executives holding their heads after 6 minutes of a live match realising that thousands would be turning off as the game was over by that time. I cannot afford to subscribe, nor have interest In the vast majority of their output anyway, so no sympathy for Sky, or the other companies. 

I will NEVER subscribe to Sky. They rip off Scottish football and give an obscene amount to the English game, which I have absolutely no interest in anymore.

I still think the Scottish clubs should band together and purchase the rights to the games. I would 100% sign up for that.

29 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

How, exactly, do they "rip off Scottish football"?

I would suggest that as most of the games are one sided affairs, and pretty poor in quality the money they put into the Scottish game is just about fair. 

As for the "obscene" amount to the English game" I'm surprised you can't work out why they pay what they pay. 

Per capita, we have the best attended national league in Europe, possibly the world. We have arguably the biggest derby in the world, certainly one of the top ten. Yet Sky pay us less than half of what the Norwegian League gets:

Screenshot2024-01-0822_09_20.png.2a777b42b77278dc77c7cad69d92679d.png

Most games are not one-sided affairs at all. Outwith the Old Firm the league is actually very equal. 

If you really think Scottish football is that bad, then what are you doing on a Scottish club's football forum? Also, given that Sky pay over ten-fold more for an English game than a Scottish one, I take it you'd be happy to pay ~£250 for a English Premiership match ticket? That's assuming you attend St Mirren games and pay for an adult ticket, of course.

59 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

How, exactly, do they "rip off Scottish football"?

I would suggest that as most of the games are one sided affairs, and pretty poor in quality the money they put into the Scottish game is just about fair. 

As for the "obscene" amount to the English game" I'm surprised you can't work out why they pay what they pay. 

So you think woman's football in England is better than ours .Sky I believe pay them 75 million a year as opposed to 50 to our game for 5 years.

Edited by elvis

2 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

How many games do Sky show that don't feature the Old Firm?

A token amount as Sky focus on the Old Firm as they bring in the most viewers.

Scottish football is very poor, most teams (even the Old Firm this season have dipped in my opinion) are average to rotton, backed up by the annual pumping in European competitions. 

Sky pay ten-fold for English games because it's possibly the best league in the world and is watched worldwide.

Quoting a top price ticket is a foolish attempt to cloud the issue as MANY EPL tickets are far less.

Yet in the 1980s, the decade before Sky, Aberdeen and Dundee Utd both got to finals in European competitions. Aberdeen actually winning two European trophies and Dundee Utd defeating Barcelona in 1987.

In the 1992/93 season Rangers beat the English champions home and away in the Champions League.

18 May 1992 – Sky purchases the live rights to the newly formed football Premier League for £304 million.

The millions of pounds that Sky have poured into the English game means that lower league English clubs can compete with our top-tier for wages, now. Sky have ripped us off from the start and it's no coincidence that our game has declined since their involvement north and south of the border.

I wasn't quoting the price of an EPL ticket. You seem to believe the English game is worth 10x ours, so I was asking whether you would actually be willing to pay 10x the price to watch an English game.

The media, in general, understandably focus on attracting large audiences.

This does not just apply to Sky, but also to the BBC (who should show more public responsibility as a public broadcasting authority), and other TV channels.

Newspapers also follow the same line and that is why I stopped buying The Herald years ago. The ugly sisters get 10 times more coverage than the remainder of the clubs put together.

Small countries like Scotland suffer as a result of this commercially-driven mindset.

Unless there is a change in this attitude, things will continue to decline in Scotland.

How to change attitudes in the media is the big question we face.

Edited by northstbuddie

18 hours ago, Long John Baldy said:

You're starting to meander into areas that were not in your initial post but here goes.............

Since that dreaded day in 1992 Rangers have twice been runner up in the UEFA Cup/Europa League.

It seems to have passed you by that Scottish clubs have, on the whole, failed abysmally year in year out against European team who aren't being supported by Sky.

Again, ripped us off to the tune of £150m over a four year period, covering up to 60 games. :lol:

That works out at £37.5 million per season at £625k a game.

As I've stated, the vast majority of these games have either Rangers or Celtic involved and are mainly one sided affairs.

Outside of Scotland, there's, obviously, not much interest in any teams out with the Old Firm so I would suggest the cash Sky are pumping in is more than adequate.

As for your last sentence, totally irrelevant as it's the market value of the English games that is worth 10 times the Scottish game, quite easily IMO. 

We get a worse deal from Sky than the Danish, Norwegian and Swedish leagues get. I'm sorry, but you will fail to convince me that we receive a fair price from Sky or that their financing of English football has not been to our detriment.

2 minutes ago, Long John Baldy said:

You do know, or maybe you don't, those figures are over a year out of date? 

I am aware of that, aye. Do you have more recent figures?

Given Rangers got to a European final a couple of years ago, I think our league is much stronger than the Scandinavians'. 

1 hour ago, Long John Baldy said:

Not at the moment although the current deal has the Scottish league upped to £37.5 million per season. (25% rise) 

PS I should make it clear this increase is over a 4 year period.

Wouldn't want to be seen to sway my point of view with misleading figures.

I posted the most recent figures I could find, I wasn't trying to be disingenuous! :lol:

There's no doubt in my mind that Scottish football has been badly run, I don't think anyone can dispute that. Personally, I would like to see something similar to the failed project, SPFL TV. We could show three live games a week. I would happily pay good money for that. 

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, faraway saint said:

As we enter the final stretch of games before the split this game could see us go 4th, albeit having played a game more than Dundee.

What a confidence boost that would be. :happyclapper

37 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

Kilmarnock 😛

20 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Oops. 🤣🤣🤣

Am I being thick? What am I missing here? 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️