Trialists Update

Tell me Pityme, out of all of Dumbartons signing so far, who would walk into the St Mirren team? Please enlighten us.

All of their players have clearly went part-time for a reason. The manager Aitken himself has a very good full-time job outside of football and that's what appealed to him stepping up a division remaining on a part-time contract closer to home.

I don't remember there being panic the season 2005/06, when we went on to win the league off the back of the late August signings of Adam and Sutton as mentioned by another poster. Two key figures in our promotion.

Would you rather we had a repeat of the past 3 or so season where we just bulked the squad up with numbers and had to pay them off a few months down the line as they were not deemed good enough? I personally do not think we have missed out on any players available in the market at the moment.

This will be the same Dumbarton who have also signed a Celtic loanee (although they didn't have to take it up the Ronson just to get him), the same Dumbarton who shipped 79 goals last season, but their new manager must have clocked that as he has totally overhauled their squad. How good are the signings they have made? Most have played for top level clubs, a few have come directly from top level clubs and like our team we will only know how good they are when they start playing competitively.

The point remains Aitken has completely overhauled his squad in good time to bed them all in, he has signed a mixture of youth and top level experience. We are still by Murray's reckoning five signings short of a team. So how come poor wee Dumbarton can sign celtic loanee's and experienced pros at a part time club, but we just run endless bounce/friendly assessment centres. How come our manager struggles to just sign someone without a trial?

This will be the same Dumbarton who have also signed a Celtic loanee (although they didn't have to take it up the Ronson just to get him), the same Dumbarton who shipped 79 goals last season, but their new manager must have clocked that as he has totally overhauled their squad. How good are the signings they have made? Most have played for top level clubs, a few have come directly from top level clubs and like our team we will only know how good they are when they start playing competitively.

The point remains Aitken has completely overhauled his squad in good time to bed them all in, he has signed a mixture of youth and top level experience. We are still by Murray's reckoning five signings short of a team. So how come poor wee Dumbarton can sign celtic loanee's and experienced pros at a part time club, but we just run endless bounce/friendly assessment centres. How come our manager struggles to just sign someone without a trial?

Do you have actual proof that the McMullan loan deal was only sealed through the rent of the stadium pre-season? He played at Stenny last season without the exchange of anything else than purely experience for the boy.

You seem pretty confident that Dumbarton will be a stronger side than us next season.

Do you have actual proof that the McMullan loan deal was only sealed through the rent of the stadium pre-season? He played at Stenny last season without the exchange of anything else than purely experience for the boy.

You seem pretty confident that Dumbarton will be a stronger side than us next season.

Don't know if they will be stronger or not, that isn't my point. My point is we are woefully slow and seem out of ideas already in building a team. Other clubs have not sifted the number of trialists we have, and we are going to sift even more!

We should be in a place by now where we will only sign one or two more if the quality is available last minute at the right price. The state we are in number and cover wise we will end up panic buying and end up picking wrong uns again!

Edit: Re your first question on McMullan... Do you seriously think Celtic called up the club and said please take this guy on loan? All part of a deal, git no problem with that, its what makes the world go round and hopefully he will do well for us.

Edited by Lord Pityme

Don't know if they will be stronger or not, that isn't my point. My point is we are woefully slow and seem out of ideas already in building a team. Other clubs have not sifted the number of trialists we have, and we are going to sift even more!

We should be in a place by now where we will only sign one or two more if the quality is available last minute at the right price. The state we are in number and cover wise we will end up panic buying and end up picking wrong uns again!

Edit: Re your first question on McMullan... Do you seriously think Celtic called up the club and said please take this guy on loan? All part of a deal, git no problem with that, its what makes the world go round and hopefully he will do well for us.

Have you heard the quote, "Only fools rush in".

Why the rush to fill up the squad?

Might be guys with a good pedigree holding out for clubs at a higher level, but who have intimated they'll sign if their first choice doesn't work out.

We could be waiting to see how Premiership teams get on with signings.

Every time a StJohnstone or Killie make a signing someone gets pushed down the pecking order, meaning they will sit on the bench/stand collecting their wage or want to drop a level for first team football.

Can see this going to the last week in August, maybe even to the deadline.

I think Murray should make his mind up rather than constantly sifting trialists. How come he doesn't have a target list, how come he hasn't got a handle on the

game, who is available, who is up to it? This was supposedly his skill set?

Tommy Craig had a target list in the form of a piece of paper that he liked to wave around. Didn't seem to do him much good...

Not long till Saturday.

The Lord is still angry.

He has been the whole close season.

Me, I am so happy our first match under the Murray era is only days away.

Bring on the Berwick

COYS

Fwiw our first game is against a team in the bottom tier, our 1st 11 is going to be made up primarily by players playing in the prem last season, so getting players in for that is no priority. Best to take time and find the correct players for the whole season and not a 1st round in a diddy cup

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33174760

Doesn't look like anyone has done much "bolstering" to me

It looks like most of the clubs in the division are well ahead of us in terms of assembling a team for the upcoming season.

The problem with Murray taking the trialist route is not that it can't be done, or even that Murray himself can't do it, but we have recently been through a couple of managers who have completely failed in this approach and signed player like Ball or had to resort to panic signings like Djemba-Dejemba.

Given that, the complete mess the team was in last season and the number of players that have left, I can understand why people might think that picking up one or two players from a few bounce games will really be able to turn the team around.

I do think our team needed a complete overhaul.

What has been missing for some considerable time has been a reasonably watertight defence and a group of players who know their way to putting the ball in the net.

What I don't expect necessarily is a Gerry Baker or Dougie Somner type forward who knocks in goals for fun, but I do want someone who doesn't panic in front of goal and can lead the line. Whether ST is past his sell-by date is up for question, time will tell this season, but my bet is that Ian Murray wants someone else in that position to give himself some comfort if Stevie is injured (again) or he needs to freshen up the attack during a game.

As for the middle of the back line, the jury is still out on central defence. So a 'Webster' type stopper would be great if he can be kept fit, or someone else who can marshal the line. Having that kind of defence in front of the keeper would also make him more confident.

So give the manager some time. He seems to be prepared to assess players properly rather than just jumping in, which I prefer rather than wasting a salary on a one or two year contract and it is £30 to £50,000 a year down the drain!

I do think our team needed a complete overhaul.

What has been missing for some considerable time has been a reasonably watertight defence and a group of players who know their way to putting the ball in the net.

What I don't expect necessarily is a Gerry Baker or Dougie Somner type forward who knocks in goals for fun, but I do want someone who doesn't panic in front of goal and can lead the line. Whether ST is past his sell-by date is up for question, time will tell this season, but my bet is that Ian Murray wants someone else in that position to give himself some comfort if Stevie is injured (again) or he needs to freshen up the attack during a game.

As for the middle of the back line, the jury is still out on central defence. So a 'Webster' type stopper would be great if he can be kept fit, or someone else who can marshal the line. Having that kind of defence in front of the keeper would also make him more confident.

So give the manager some time. He seems to be prepared to assess players properly rather than just jumping in, which I prefer rather than wasting a salary on a one or two year contract and it is £30 to £50,000 a year down the drain!

All common sense stuff. But its not for the likes of me or any other saints fans to 'give him time' to recruit, the dates for fixtures and transfer windows are well known, he got the job before the end of last season so time he has had more than most of his recent predecessors. No one wants him to panic sign, but that is what he will end up doing as soon as the calendar says August and the first league game comes along.

All common sense stuff. But its not for the likes of me or any other saints fans to 'give him time' to recruit, the dates for fixtures and transfer windows are well known, he got the job before the end of last season so time he has had more than most of his recent predecessors. No one wants him to panic sign, but that is what he will end up doing as soon as the calendar says August and the first league game comes along.

It seems the only person in a panic here is you. The manager himself has already stated that it could be late August before a few of his targets are freed up.

For clarity of furtherance doubt exactly how many on here really believe that Dumbarton!!! Are a much more appealing option for professional footballers than ST Mirren..?

Because the line that because they are part time, they then appeal to more players isn't going to float. I think a fe on these boards need to step out of denial and see so far Murray hasn't delivered on new recruits. That said he still may do so? But as our first competitive game is a few days away we should only still be looking for the odd one or two quality players that become available. Not five or six to field a competitive team.

You seem to keep missing the point - players don't pick Dumbarton over St. Mirren, we are not in direct competition with Dumbarton for signing players. They are part time, we are full time. If a player signs for Dumbarton on £500 a week, he can also have a regular full time job. Even a modest job outside of football would result in the player making over £1000 per week. That's why for some players they are more appealing than signing for St. Mirren - if you think St. Mirren are paying over £1000 per week then you need to get a reality check.

Do you really think it's the managers fault that he hasn't signed many players yet? He'll be trying to do the best he can with the little money he has, but it takes time trying to get guys to agree to £650 a week when they could get better deals elsewhere. I doubt even Guardiola could have signed any more players than Murray has by now for what the club is offering! (I'm not comparing Ian Murray with the best manager in the world - before anyone says anything!)