Alan's first signings

1 minute ago, stlucifer said:

Not too impressed with spending a fair chunk of cash, in relative terms, on a kid hoping he develops. Hope it works out but AS is starting to worry me with the lack of players  coming in. One kid so far? 

One kid that he has seen play and who had offers from elsewhere.

This is a good start.

11 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

Not too impressed with spending a fair chunk of cash, in relative terms, on a kid hoping he develops. Hope it works out but AS is starting to worry me with the lack of players  coming in. One kid so far? 

Suppose depends what age you are I see him as a young man :D. Darlington forums sum him up for me these are the guys watching play week in week out. Not one average post on him they loved him and most say should be playing at a higher level. £75k is an investment I would say.  Edit how often do you hear fans going on about a central back with enthusiasm? Not often. 

Edited by Isle Of Bute Saint

1 minute ago, Ethan said:

This site is a nightmare. We moan when no player comes in then we moan when a player signs.  Why Cant we see how he plays before passing judgement. 

I for one am not moaning. I am concerned. It's starting to look like we'll be playing catch up. Not something we've been used to under JR. I hope the lad is as good as AS thinks as we don't spend that sort of cash on one player too often.

3 minutes ago, Ethan said:

This site is a nightmare. We moan when no player comes in then we moan when a player signs.  Why Cant we see how he plays before passing judgement. 

Because everyone on here thinks that they know more about football than they actually do.

Myself included.:)

It's highly amusing when posters rubbish players/managers on here and are proved completely wrong over the course of the season.:wink:

1 minute ago, DumboBud said:

Looks like the ‘ throw the kids out to let the bigots in’ dividend has been spent now. 

I wonder what Darlington will do with it? Offer saints fans free entry when we are playing the OF?

Hope this guy turns out to be worth it. 

Absolutely brilliant decision if that's the case.:thumbsup

7 minutes ago, Ethan said:

Very sensible approach Ethan.  Welcome Josh and the best of luck. 

3 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

I for one am not moaning. I am concerned. It's starting to look like we'll be playing catch up. Not something we've been used to under JR. I hope the lad is as good as AS thinks as we don't spend that sort of cash on one player too often.

Will probably get shoot down for this. Jack Ross did an incredible job for us would give him 12 out of 10 high praise. However I ( think ) Stubbs will be tactically more aware for the premiership with that bit more experience time will tell. 

3 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

Will probably get shoot down for this. Jack Ross did an incredible job for us would give him 12 out of 10 high praise. However I ( think ) Stubbs will be tactically more aware for the premiership with that bit more experience time will tell. 

You could be right.  JR won the league by assembling arguably the best squad in the division and included in that was able to retain the outstanding talent that was Lewis Morgan.  Tactically at times he got it wrong but all managers do.  

1 minute ago, St.Ricky said:

You could be right.  JR won the league by assembling arguably the best squad in the division and included in that was able to retain the outstanding talent that was Lewis Morgan.  Tactically at times he got it wrong but all managers do.  

Agree Ricky , If Jack was here we were signing Morton's centre back who is now with Thistle he said himself he could not wait to see who the next manager was. For me we got lucky Stubbs seems to have an eye for players and importantly contacts. 

It would seem that Stubbs has put his time at the V9 trials to good use.

With Cooke at 6 ft 1 and Heaton at 6 ft enormous, we seem to be addressing our lack of height. Heaton looks like a brick shithouse.

Both seem to be players in demand, with their careers on the up, as opposed to players that have been released or are in contract and have been offloaded by their clubs after underperforming.

Edited by FTOF

56 minutes ago, stlucifer said:

JR brought in a lot of players but not all have been a success.  There will be certain players who will command a transfer fee after all we are now in a different league and if you want to improve on what we have/had then it costs.  Btw Jack paid money for Mullan.  Time will tell if the transfer fee is good value for money.

It would seem that Stubbs has put his time at the V9 trials to good use.
With Cooke at 6 ft 1 and Heaton at 6 ft enormous, we seem to be addressing our lack of height. Heaton looks like a brick shithouse.
Both seem to be players in demand, with their careers on the up, as opposed to players that have been released or are in contract and have been offloaded by their clubs after underperforming.

Heaton is 6 ft 6 going by the Darlington paper.

Now all we need is someone who can take a decent set-piece.