Esmaël Gonçalves

Has played against some seriously good teams...

St Mirren have this evening completed the loan signing of 21-year-old Esmael Goncalves from Portuguese Club Rio Ave.

The Primeira Liga side – who presently sit in 5th place on the championship table – recently took Manchester United’s £9 million signing Bebe on loan until the end of the season. So with Goncalves now behind Venezuelan captain Del Valle and Bebe in the queue for a striker’s role, Rio Ave have agreed to loan the player to St Mirren until the end of this season.

Esmael – who was born in Guinea-Bassau but is a Portuguese National – made a positive start to the season at Rio Ave who also made the best start to a league season in their history. He led the line in games against Benfica and Porto as well as a 1-0 win at Sporting Lisbon. The player was on loan with Nice in the French Premier League last season and starred for the French side in games against Marseille and Lyon where he assisted with the second goal and scored a fantastic winner in a 4-3 victory against the Champions League side (click here to see video of goals).

The 21-year-old – who has been capped at Under-17 level for Portugal – had the option to go back to France on loan but preferred to give British football a try as he looks to impress his parent club with strong performances in the black and white stripes.

The club still await international clearance for Esmael but we are hopeful that this will be received in time to allow the player to be included in the squad for Sunday’s Scottish Communities League Cup semi-final tie against Celtic.

All the best, Esmael. I hope you have a fruitful loan period with the best football club in the worldthumbup2.gif

I reckon he saw a newspaper that said 'Gary Hooper set to sign for Norwich' - five minutes later his agent calls and says 'Esmael! Lennon wants to sign you in time for the semi final on Sunday'....

Ahem.

I reckon he saw a newspaper that said 'Gary Hooper set to sign for Norwich' - five minutes later his agent calls and says 'Esmael! Lennon wants to sign you in time for the semi final on Sunday'....

Ahem.

Maybe his club thought...."If a dick like Hooper can go for £5m+ then after Esmael scores a hattrick against them he must be worth at least £6m"

Welcome to St Mirren esmael concalves!

I hope you enjoy your time at St Mirren starting on Sunday.

I said on the rumour thread that we needed another decent striker to assist Thompson. A great start!

Now to get Dummett signed in time for Sunday.

Feeling slightly more positive about Sunday.

The last goal in that video montage was a belter. A direct player who doesn't seem afraid to take defenders on. That'll do. Shades of wee Nige in there at times....

You obviously can't read too much into these wee video offerings, but that looks encouraging. He's a young lad who'll take time to settle into things in Scotland, but he looks strong and pacey, so could offer us something playing off The Hawk.

Edited by Drew