Esmaël Gonçalves

Only watched the first 2 mins of that clip, but from that was completely underwhelmed.

If you're going to show only 6 minutes of highlights from a player's career, you don't spend a third of that on a game where he did very very little.

Clearly they were saving the best for later, but if those two minutes are in his highlights I don't think we should start getting over-excited.

Wishing the guy all the best of course, but this ain't no Ronaldinho.

If this had showed up in the rumour mill it would have been a case of, "sounds good, won't happen"...

I think most clubs in the SPL would have happily taken a punt on a young player like this. At 21 he's already played a fair bit of first team football and gained positive reviews at quite a high level.

Looks like we have very little to lose here, and potentially a fair bit to gain!

Welcome to the Saints Esmael!

You always hope we have a new hero when a new player arrives though I can’t get too excited by this new signing simply because we are in bad need of sorting out our defense we are leaking goals like a sieve, equal worst in the SPL. We need a stopper in midfield and dare I say someone new in at the back. For me they should be priority positions looked at.

Right so how do we pronounce his name :)
Same as any other player... Getyirseltaefcuk Goncalves, it's similar to Getyirseltaefcuk McAusland, Getyirseltaefcuk Robertson, or Getyirseltaefcuk Imrie.

Some of the West Bank clientele will pick it up in jig time.

Edited by pozbaird

Guest somner9
goncalves oh oh goncalves oh oh he comes from portugal he's gonnae get us goals goncalves oh oh

gon-cal-ves oh, oh,oh,oh

gon-cal-ves oh oh oh oh

he from portu-gal-oh-oh-oh

he scores brilliant goal-oh-oh-oals

Welcome to the club young thingmie.

I look forward to following the progress of this exciting young talented player and I look forward to watching him set-up and score goals for the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co first team playing squad. Come next season we are unlikely to remember him unless we get to Hampden and young thingmie scores the winner, that said I look forward to watching him for the rest of the season.

Now, what does this say for our managers confidence in Lewis Guy?

I would suggest that it says that Mr Daniel Lennon has been desperate to bolster our squad with another striker as we had thon Dom Dwyer sitting in the stand, then thon Polish boy called Pat and now we have signed thon African born boy call Goncalves. If I were Mr Guy I would be thinking of "shooglie pegs" and the suchlike.

The excitement of a new signing always brightens my day, now I would encourage our current managerial encumbent to go forth and secure a new centre half and at least one new full back.

Guest somner9

So we don't know a great deal about him, he's young, not had an extended first team run out, and in the video he wins throw-ins, corners and apparently scores eight goals in a 4-3 game!

Think on as a foil for Thommo, he's quick (are you watching Sam Parkin), he's got a sweet first touch (are you watching Lewis Guy), he's strong and robust on the ball (are you watching Sam & Lewis) and he's ours till May!

He will trouble defences as much as Thommo does, which is what we need up front to retain some of the possesion and convert the chances we are good at making. If he can produce that sort of form and attitude each week he'll do us proud.

shellic don't know him, will be wary of his pace and trickery, and most likely nervously hack him down (welcome to the spl) giving us set-piece penalty opportunities. neither Parkin or Guy have been able to chip in other than fleeting moments to support big Thommo in this way.

if we get dummet back, and McLean is fit I'd say we will be as strong as we can be. Look not at what we might lose on Sunday.... look to compete, defend, attack, perform and maybe we can emulate Bradford who've overcome THREE epl teams, two leagues above them!

we've only got to sort out shellic over 90 - 120mins plus pens!

Edited by somner9

Welcome to the club young thingmie. I look forward to following the progress of this exciting young talented player and I look forward to watching him set-up and score goals for the Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co first team playing squad. Come next season we are unlikely to remember him unless we get to Hampden and young thingmie scores the winner, that said I look forward to watching him for the rest of the season. Now, what does this say for our managers confidence in Lewis Guy? I would suggest that it says that Mr Daniel Lennon has been desperate to bolster our squad with another striker as we had thon Dom Dwyer sitting in the stand, then thon Polish boy called Pat and now we have signed thon African born boy call Goncalves. If I were Mr Guy I would be thinking of "shooglie pegs" and the suchlike. The excitement of a new signing always brightens my day, now I would encourage our current managerial encumbent to go forth and secure a new centre half and at least one new full back.

Now I'm not one of the resident pedants but who ever told you it was 'thingmie'? The correct spelling is 'thingmy', although 'thingamy' is accepted in some quarters. We can agree though, in wishing whatsisname all the best.

Incidentally, Tedious, Billy Harrison from the 60's band Them lives quite near me and he looks very like you in your avatar photo. Thought you'd like to know that.

http://www.ogcnice.com/actualite/news.php?clef=7983

goncalves-marseille12b.jpg

(Translated from the Nice website)

Scorer Ajaccio in February, the young Portuguese striker had his first start in Ligue 1 on Saturday against Marseille. A successful baptism, as illustrated by its penalty obtained as a reward for high activity.

Esmael, how do you analyze this Nice-Marseille?

We managed a good game, we dominated, but without much success. We deserved better than none and it showed on our faces: we were disappointed. You often hear of big games against big opponents. But outside, we can not do it ...

Your first start in Ligue 1 was noticed ...

I felt comfortable, yes. But before the match, I had a crazy pressure. Especially we would play the OM. The coach calmed me down, told me to play the way I know how, I remove the pressure. He asked me to keep the ball, make calls, from the depth ... I tried to apply it.

For four years you're at the club, you're subject to special attention from the staff who knew you at the training center, then pro ...

Marsiglia and coaches Gioria are very demanding with me, it's true. They ask me a lot and it has happened to me to think they did not like me. But on reflection, I realized that they are hard on me for my own good. And fortunately they are.

When you read the praise in the press, when you hear those fans, what do you say?

Frankly, I do not know (laughs). It makes me happy, of course. But on the other hand, I am obliged to confirm. I would have more pressure next time. The hardest part is waiting for me.

"Helping the club to maintain"

What are the most striking differences between Ligue 1 and CFA2?

It goes much faster, that's for sure. But there is more space.

With M'Bia, Fanni or Kaboré Saturday, you found yourself hard pressed ...

It was physical, yes. M'Bia is really hard. But he came to see me at the end and told me that it was in the game before the game, the coach Marsiglia I was also told to bring up in my duels, he felt I would hang a penalty.

Saint-Etienne?

I would play again, obviously. I do not know. I hope ... This is in addition to a good point, I already had a very warm atmosphere on Saturday ...

The end of the season?

I will continue my efforts to glean maximum playing time to help the club to maintain maximum. Later, we will see later ...