Next St Mirren Manager

Who do you suggest?

I actually don't have a clue this time. Last time I wanted Gary Locke, shows you what I know. I'll say this, whoever gets the job there will be lots on here moaning before a ball gets kicked.

As for Miller, I witnessed football under him the last time he was here and it was dire. He surely to God cannot be appointed he is a known dud.

An ex Rangers player with a short fuse ,surname Ferguson, in his first management job , surely not ! bye1.gif

I listened to his(Ian's) interview on Sportsound last week and he came across very well.

I think he'd be a gamble though and too big a gamble at this stage.

We need to be realistic though, we're an even less attractive option for prospective managers than we were when Murray was appointed.

I actually don't have a clue this time. Last time I wanted Gary Locke, shows you what I know. I'll say this, whoever gets the job there will be lots on here moaning before a ball gets kicked.

As for Miller, I witnessed football under him the last time he was here and it was dire. He surely to God cannot be appointed he is a known dud.

I certainly agree with the first point. No matter who is appointed he will be written off as a failure instantly by a section of our support.

As for Miller, I never seen any of his Saints teams so I defer to your better knowledge of them. However, his record here looks good in the history books. Regular top half of the top flight finishes, European football and it was largely his side who won the Scottish Cup in 1987. No wonder he was taken from us by a bigger club. Infact, wasn't he the last manager to leave us and go straight into a bigger job?

Regardless, I would be pretty surprised if he isn't made interim manager tomorrow. If he gets a win in Alloa and then beats Livi at home he will likely get it to the end of the season.

I certainly agree with the first point. No matter who is appointed he will be written off as a failure instantly by a section of our support.

As for Miller, I never seen any of his Saints teams so I defer to your better knowledge of them. However, his record here looks good in the history books. Regular top half of the top flight finishes, European football and it was largely his side who won the Scottish Cup in 1987. No wonder he was taken from us by a bigger club. Infact, wasn't he the last manager to leave us and go straight into a bigger job?

Regardless, I would be pretty surprised if he isn't made interim manager tomorrow. If he gets a win in Alloa and then beats Livi at home he will likely get it to the end of the season.

Alex Smith got the gig at Aberdeen after Miller left to go to Hibs. He wasn't directly recruited from St Mirren if thats what you mean. St Mirren sacked him first, he had a break and then got the Aberdeen job.

I can't argue with anything else you've said. Miller did build the 1987 team almost in it's entirety. However in 1986 Alex Miller was actively trying to get rid of Billy Abercrombie. Abercrombie even acknowledged in his book that Smith and Bone showed a faith in him that Miller hadn't. There were also anecdotal accounts that I heard from younger players at the club who said players like David Winnie were threatened with fines by Miller if he caught them crossing the half way line. Certainly the St Mirren squad post Miller played with a kind of freedom under Smith and Bone that had been missing before hand.

Was he not rumoured around the time Danny left?

Pretty sure he was spotted at the training ground at some point previously.

His brother claimed on Sportsound a third party had contacted Ferguson and either offered him the Saints job or asked if he'd be interested, however he decided against it.

Edited by Stu

Darren Young's record at Albion Rovers has been pretty incredible so far.

He's got them challenging for a second successive promotion which which is amazing in terms of Albion Rovers.

And he played for years in the top flight.

This is the sort of manager we should appoint.

I hadn't realised he had them quite so high up in League One. He did a tremendous job there last season and to have them where they are at this point of the season is very impressive.

And if he came he could bring Stark as his assistant...

Darren Young's record at Albion Rovers has been pretty incredible so far.

He's got them challenging for a second successive promotion which which is amazing in terms of Albion Rovers.

And he played for years in the top flight.

This is the sort of manager we should appoint.

Sounds a lot like a certain Ian Murray.

Take it from me Miller is a DUD. Yes he built the cup winning team however with him as manager Abercrombie wouldn't have been there and there was NO chance that we would have won the cup with him in charge. Another manager motivated the same players that he couldn't. He went to Hibs and was also hated by their support.

As shull says he is hopeless and shull looks on the bright side.

Take it from me Miller is a DUD. Yes he built the cup winning team however with him as manager Abercrombie wouldn't have been there and there was NO chance that we would have won the cup with him in charge. Another manager motivated the same players that he couldn't. He went to Hibs and was also hated by their support.

As shull says he is hopeless and shull looks on the bright side.

He was a 33 year old manager in training at the time!

Do you honestly not think that an internationally respected coach might have picked up a thing or two in the following 30 years?

His man management skills were rotton for sure... young managers are often bullish.

Football under him was nowhere as bad as it is being painted out to be... and positivrly Brazilian compared to Smiths snorefest!

He was a 33 year old manager in training at the time!

Do you honestly not think that an internationally respected coach might have picked up a thing or two in the following 30 years?

His man management skills were rotton for sure... young managers are often bullish.

Football under him was nowhere as bad as it is being painted out to be... and positivrly Brazilian compared to Smiths snorefest!

I agree. Once Smith started to bring in his own players then it went wrong. We went on a long winless run the season after winning the cup and were nearly relegated, indeed Smith was sacked with 3 games to go and Tony Fitz came in and got us over the line by winning more games in a fortnight than Smith had managed in about 4 months.

I agree. Once Smith started to bring in his own players then it went wrong. We went on a long winless run the season after winning the cup and were nearly relegated, indeed Smith was sacked with 3 games to go and Tony Fitz came in and got us over the line by winning more games in a fortnight than Smith had managed in about 4 months.

IIRC we started the season reasonably well until a combination of Ian Ferguson putting in his transfer request plus injuries to key players like Abercromby and Money knocked us off track. Then there was player unrest (McGarvey getting punched by Bone in the tunnel during the home tie against Tromso). I think that season was as much a case of players underperforming as poor management - the more things change etc.

Don't forget Smith signed Billy Davies & Brian Martin who along with Paul Lambert formed a great unit at Motherwell.........

IIRC we started the season reasonably well until a combination of Ian Ferguson putting in his transfer request plus injuries to key players like Abercromby and Money knocked us off track. Then there was player unrest (McGarvey getting punched by Bone in the tunnel during the home tie against Tromso). I think that season was as much a case of players underperforming as poor management - the more things change etc.

Don't forget Smith signed Billy Davies & Brian Martin who along with Paul Lambert formed a great unit at Motherwell.........

I forgot about Davies and Martin, zi was thinking more of Bobby Dawson, Mark McWalter etc. The team simply stopped playing for Smith and some of the football was grim. On reflection the board probably panicked in sacking Smith but the threat of the drop was very real. Edited by scottd

I forgot about Davies and Martin. The team simply stopped playing for Smith and some of the football was grim.

I've had confirmation that our man has been approached and accepted in principle,will be meeting with the BOD on Tuesday and could be in by the weekend. He is currently involved in the game albeit not with a club.