Peter Houston

GMBB

Houston resigned from United because they were cutting the playing budget. How long would he last at Greenhill Road before planting stories in the press about how he has to work with one hand tied behind his back?

At least if he did we'd know the truth!!

I'd like to know exactly how much freedom DL has to work with both HIS hands.

Who will be our Manager in the coming months?? Danny Lennon - guaranteed (unless he decides to quit, which I very much doubt).

Why would the board wait until the transfer window closes to bring in a new manager, leaving him powerless to make effective changes other than onfield tactics? Further to that, why would any other Manager consider coming to a club in our situation under those circumstances?

Danny has until the end of this year to turn things around. I for one hope he does. If not, then he will have had a fair opportunity which he will have failed to grasp. In the meantime, as someone already said elsewhere, all true fans should cheer the team onto the park on Saturday and try to give them some support and self-belief. The last thing we need is for them to go into the Partick game with boos ringing in their ears.

It would also flatten Thistle and their fans to hear the team cheered onto the park, as they will be expecting the opposite.

So you will be happy for Danny to take us down so long as he gets a chance? Danny's had a chance

While I agree our current form is a major concern the amount of "manager" based threads is becoming a joke.

Sure, the current situation is worth discussion, sure the manager will be, ultimately, held responsible, but do we need to produce so many veiled threads which pretty much say the same damn thins time and time again?

Mods, for fcuks sake, merge or delete, the forum is becoming a sad place to be for any St Mirren supporter.

PS Can the aliases be sorted, ignoring them won't, shockeroony, stop them ruining the forum.

What about Kenny Mcdowall? he would be way out our league financially anyway I say give Danny more time to turn things around

1: Knows what the club is all about

2: Could be good at bringing young players on

3: Might relish the chance to get away from the hùn circus and be his own man.

he would be way out of our league financially anyway I say give Danny more time to sort things out

he would be way out of our league financially anyway I say give Danny more time to sort things out

I pretty much agree Billy but I also feel time is running out, unlike the hounds who have been on Lennon's back for quite sometime.

Most supporters, ha ha ha , agree getting relegated would be a disaster, having been stuck in that level of shite for many years, so we, as a club, cannot simply allow ourselves to slide into a precarious position.

When would be the time to question the managers position? Who knows and the options for a replacement could be scary.

Most St Mirren football club supporters hope the current manager can take us to the highest league position we have achieved in the current SPL. (SPFL for those that are quite chuffed with themselves)

I can't see any reason to sack a manager (outwith brainlessness and panic - neither of which our board seems to suffer from, unlike our keyboard clatterers) would be at the start of the two transfer windows.

So Danny is with us until at least Christmas and hopefully at least next summer.

IMO he's got us playing the best and most successful football since the mid 80's DESPITE the fact we're shipping goals faster than Amazon ship books.

This is simply a fact. I can't think of any other Saints manager who has achieved such high league placings or Cup wins since that time.

Seriously, someone can always prove me wrong.

Come on guys. Name a single Saints manager who has brought more top level success than Danny since 1987 and a better style of playing?

All you whiners out there should be able to name one at least.

Edited by oaksoft

• 3 weeks later...

He was part of the Scotland set-up under Craig Levein, surely the most disastrous period in our nation's football history (worse than under Herr Vogts).

He also drinks in my local pub in Glasgow East.

I meant to post this last week but it slipped my mind (in my defence I am old).

Having been the assistant to Craig Levien in the Scotland set-up during the current WC qualifying stage I think it would be fair to expect Peter Houston to have some interest in how his country's national team are performing in the tournament. Maybe not interested enough to make the trip to Macedonia, but surely he could be expected to watch the match live on tv.

I went along to my local on the Friday night to watch the match and, sure enough, Mr Houston was there too.

While the match was being shown on the 3 tvs in the bar, he was in the lounge enjoying the karaoke night.

Maybe he is in the huff.

I can't see any reason to sack a manager (outwith brainlessness and panic - neither of which our board seems to suffer from, unlike our keyboard clatterers) would be at the start of the two transfer windows.

So Danny is with us until at least Christmas and hopefully at least next summer.

IMO he's got us playing the best and most successful football since the mid 80's DESPITE the fact we're shipping goals faster than Amazon ship books.

This is simply a fact. I can't think of any other Saints manager who has achieved such high league placings or Cup wins since that time.

Seriously, someone can always prove me wrong.

Come on guys. Name a single Saints manager who has brought more top level success than Danny since 1987 and a better style of playing?

All you whiners out there should be able to name one at least

No surprise that there are no replies to this one - err, there are none! In fact the question could be, since 1987, who has been our shitiest manager? My heart says Jimmy Bone, my head agrees I think. I remember an amusing post match rally in the early 90s, I think it was after a dire 0-0 vs StJ, where about 100 of us stood in front of the old main stand chanting 'Bone, get tae f*ck', as a young teenager at the time I remember I found the anger and general rage of the fans kind of exhilirating.

No surprise that there are no replies to this one - err, there are none! In fact the question could be, since 1987, who has been our shitiest manager? My heart says Jimmy Bone, my head agrees I think. I remember an amusing post match rally in the early 90s, I think it was after a dire 0-0 vs StJ, where about 100 of us stood in front of the old main stand chanting 'Bone, get tae f*ck', as a young teenager at the time I remember I found the anger and general rage of the fans kind of exhilirating.

Yep I posted this challenge in a few places and not a single person came up with even one name.

I can only conclude that Danny is recognised as our best manager since Fergie.

Statistically if we get rid of him we'll probably end up in a worse position.

Imagine how Killie feel right now.

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, comparing Danny's achievements to every single St Mirren manager since 1987 is not relevant to, well, pretty much of anything!

Will it help if we all admit that Danny's 8th place and LC win is indeed far, far superior to anything I saw from, ach, let's go for Coghlin and Hendrie.

Come on everyone, join in.

Yep I posted this challenge in a few places and not a single person came up with even one name.

Best manager since Fergie.behave

Clunie,McFarlane,Miller and Smith.

I'm sure Fitzy finished 7 th one season

Best manager since Fergie.behave

Clunie,McFarlane,Miller and Smith.

I'm sure Fitzy finished 7 th one season

It's irrelevant anyway. We shouldn't have bagged Alex Smith for winning the cup? We bagged him. We shouldn't have bagged Tom Hendrie for winning Div 1? We bagged him. We shouldn't have bagged Gus for winning Div 1 and the Bells B&Q Ramsdens Challenge Diddy Cup? We bagged him. We shouldn't bag Danny because he won the League Cup...and is more successful than anyone since Div had a barber's appointment?

Erm, no. IF Danny is bagged, it will be for many reasons. IF Danny is kept on, it will be for many reasons, absolutely none of which will have anything whatsoever to do with comparing notches on the boardroom trophy cabinet to previous incumbents of the St Mirren lukewarm-seat.

It will have everything to do with current results, how long we go without winning, how realistic relegation looks, how he managed the budget given, the decisions he made in letting players go - and the calibre of those he brought in. How his man-management skills are, how he and his assistant motivate and prepare the squad... could go on all day.

Diddly squat to do with other St Mirren managers.

It's irrelevant anyway. We shouldn't have bagged Alex Smith for winning the cup? We bagged him. We shouldn't have bagged Tom Hendrie for winning Div 1? We bagged him. We shouldn't have bagged Gus for winning Div 1 and the Bells B&Q Ramsdens Challenge Diddy Cup? We bagged him. We shouldn't bag Danny because he won the League Cup...and is more successful than anyone since Div had a barber's appointment?

Erm, no. IF Danny is bagged, it will be for many reasons. IF Danny is kept on, it will be for many reasons, absolutely none of which will have anything whatsoever to do with comparing notches on the boardroom trophy cabinet to previous incumbents of the St Mirren lukewarm-seat.

It will have everything to do with current results, how long we go without winning, how realistic relegation looks, how he managed the budget given, the decisions he made in letting players go - and the calibre of those he brought in. How his man-management skills are, how he and his assistant motivate and prepare the squad... could go on all day.

Diddly squat to do with other St Mirren managers.

It wont be for many reasons he,s off because,,, new owners want rid before they purchase.

How many Cups did they win?

You can even add up all their cup wins together if you like and present it as one total.

Oaksoft - we cannot argue with fact. The League Cup and finishing 8th in Scotland's top league means Danny is more successful than any St Mirren manager since 1987.

What's that got to do with bagging him in the event of St Mirren remaining utter gash?

Jim Clunie got us into Europe for the first time and Davy Hay has got to go down as one of the worst.

I meant to post this last week but it slipped my mind (in my defence I am old).

Having been the assistant to Craig Levien in the Scotland set-up during the current WC qualifying stage I think it would be fair to expect Peter Houston to have some interest in how his country's national team are performing in the tournament. Maybe not interested enough to make the trip to Macedonia, but surely he could be expected to watch the match live on tv.

I went along to my local on the Friday night to watch the match and, sure enough, Mr Houston was there too.

While the match was being shown on the 3 tvs in the bar, he was in the lounge enjoying the karaoke night.

Maybe he is in the huff.

Was the Karaoke any good ? Personnally , I can't stand Karaoke but it might have been a good one by all intents. .

I would argue that the style of football Tom Hendrie brought to the club in 99-00 was far more attractive than the style Danny had us playing.

It was at a lower level of course but that season for me was just brilliant.

Danny HAD us playing some good stuff, but anyone who has watched us this season would surely agree that the current style is miles away from what we saw this time two seasons ago.