Connor Newton - I'd Rather Have Teale In Midfield

Last season we had width and balls being fired into the box - Teale, Carey/Dummet - this season nothing and against Aberdeen it was very noticeable ( apart from long diagonals to Tommo) Newton is a shadow of the man he was last season and wastes the ball constantly . He was shocking against Hibs and not much better against Aberdeen. Time to drop him and make sure Teale starts every game in right mid. Views ?

I wouldn't mind seeing Newton at right back, Vanzy is on the decline and Caprice seems quite attacking which would leave us open, just a thought as Teale is too good not to play and Goodwin is much better in that holding role.

Teale is very good going forward, arguably the best attacking player we have in the squad. But he doesn't track back very well. I believe thats why newton was favoured against an Aberdeen side that was pacey and could hit on the break really well. We really needed a solid defensive performance with so many changes, and I think overall (apart from the sloppy goal) we did that.

I do believe we need width in the squad, id like to see us work the other wing then switch it quickly to Teale who can then fire a ball in at the back post because thats where the players are. Unfortunately we seem to slowly put it across the back to go to Teale who eventually makes a run and fires a ball in, but by now everyones drifted towards him and theres no one attacking the back post.

Against a young Hearts side I reckon Teale would probably run riot, its just whether he can track back and do a job defensively. I wouldnt mind putting out the same team as last week but bringing Teale on a good 30 minutes before the final whistle, let him run riot at a tired left back.

I wouldn't mind seeing Newton at right back, Vanzy is on the decline and Caprice seems quite attacking which would leave us open, just a thought as Teale is too good not to play and Goodwin is much better in that holding role.

Me too , thinking we should be looking at right sided options involving two of Teale , Caprice or Newton , and be using under 20 games to see which combination works best

I agree playing Newton over Teale made sense on Monday against a quick Aberdeen side when we had to keep it tight but thought Newton should have been brought off for Teale as soon they equalised rather than wait till injury time.

Not so sure Irvine Buddie, protecting the point we still had at that point was possibly more important than causing another loss (confidence). Aberdeen were pressing hard and swapping Teale for Newton at that point could have left us a bit more exposed.

Personally I'd have started Teale with Newton behind him at RB.

Not so sure Irvine Buddie, protecting the point we still had at that point was possibly more important than causing another loss (confidence). Aberdeen were pressing hard and swapping Teale for Newton at that point could have left us a bit more exposed.

What is this sh!te about Newton at RB? He's a solid, box to box midfielder, something we are not overblessed with, and your advocating playing him in an unfamiliar role when we have two options, three if you want to stick the square peg McGregor into the round hole, to fill that spot.

AFAIC, I think Danny called it absolutely right for the formation he chose.

I'd prefer Teale on the right and Newton in the middle (as a box-to-box midfielder in the Steven Thomson mould) of a 5 man midfield.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'm sure Mr Teale thinks the same.

It seems to me DL has created a fog around himself and he cannot see the simplest and best team is where there is minimal meddling and players play in their natural positions by and large, pending injury allowance. I think in his eagerness to do a Barca whenever possible he has missed the fact that this is the Scottish Premiership, not La Liga or the finer corners of the English premiership.

In our game simple is best.

I suppose that's a judgement call wether to stick or twist, but thought we were capable of grabbing a late winner which would have really boosted the team and fans.

I would like to see Newton and Teale both play but for me he (Newton) never did enough to justify a place in the team over Mclean Mcginn Goodwin or even DVZ at RB.

Teales comfortably been our top performer this season. Of course this means Lennon has dropped him or subbed off in most matches, that's the way he roles.

He'd rather play Conor - who has been in terrible form this season - out of position on the right than play Teale - who's in form - in his natural position. Bizarre, but then again we have come to expect bizarre.

Was the reason that Newton was at right midfield not to help counter Hayes on Aberdeen's left wing?

I would thinks so, and I think it would be worthwhile doing again against the boy Walker on Saturday who had a laugh while playing v Teale and Vanzy at Tynecastle last season. Just my opinion though.

Have to say, I think Newton has been dreadful for us since he arrived back - can't think of a decent game he has had. Pussies out of 50/50 challenges regularly and gives the ball away far too cheaply. But he is young and will improve, although we probably wont see the benefit of that development. Not sure why Danny insists on playing him every week from the start.

Bit harsh to say he has been dreadful. Newton is wasted at right midfield if you ask me but I thought he did ok on Monday.

My main frustration with him is that I wish he would shoot more often. He's got a great ping on him and he should use it more.

Oh and...........

Newton, Newton's continued his run, NEEEWWWWWTTTTTTOOOOOOONNNNNNNN !

Was the reason that Newton was at right midfield not to help counter Hayes on Aberdeen's left wing?

You are probably correct.

However had Gary Teale played against Aberdeen (other than the dying seconds) would Derek McInnes not have been forced to think about countering our Mr Teale?

Gary Teale is far too good aplayer in far too rich a vein of form for our Dan the manager man not to play him. Conor Newton is a central midfielder and should be played in that position.

As has been said above by another fine forum user, our team performs at its best when the players are just played in the most natural positions. I disagree with a point above that we had no width as young John McGinn did provide width on the left but I would have loved to have seen us also ask questions of Aberdeen (who after all were the away team) on the right and I firmly am of the opinion that Gary Teale is one of the best players in the SPFL to do that.

What is this sh!te about Newton at RB? He's a solid, box to box midfielder, something we are not overblessed with, and your advocating playing him in an unfamiliar role when we have two options, three if you want to stick the square peg McGregor into the round hole, to fill that spot.

AFAIC, I think Danny called it absolutely right for the formation he chose.

I wasn't in anyway criticising DL just saying that I wouldn't, at that point, have swapped Teale for Newton as I would have kept DVZ protected, something I thought Newton did pretty well on Monday..

Interesting you go on about unfamiliar role and yet YOUR "box to box midfielder was deployed on the "unfamiliar" right. I'm pretty certain that Newton played many games at Newcastle in the RB role and may be more experienced there than McGregor.

Now go and start a fight with someone else.

Newton was deployed at right mid on Monday to give some protection to Vanzy, who was up against a very quick Aberdeen player. It worked,a so well done to Lennon on that one.

I think Hearts will present a similar challenge on Saturday and if Lennon has the urge to throw Teale into the fold at Newton's expense then I fear we'll be enduring anther torrid 90 mins.

Exact same team and shape for me. Give Hearts nothing early on and take the big crowd out of it and then hit on the break and wait for our chance to come. It's not pretty but it is necessary for the situation we're in. If we go at Hearts we'll lose the match and Lennon will likely lose his job.

I'd take 0-0 right now and move onto the international break where we have another two weeks to work on the training ground and get Bahoken acclimated to the pace of the Scottish game.

I wasn't in anyway criticising DL just saying that I wouldn't, at that point, have swapped Teale for Newton as I would have kept DVZ protected, something I thought Newton did pretty well on Monday..

Interesting you go on about unfamiliar role and yet YOUR "box to box midfielder was deployed on the "unfamiliar" right. I'm pretty certain that Newton played many games at Newcastle in the RB role and may be more experienced there than McGregor.

Now go and start a fight with someone else.

So the bit in bold is NOT a criticism? O.K. I don't read that as you stating Teale shouldn't replace Newton. I read it as you saying you'ld have picked different personnel and different formation. No criticism there then?

Newton was set up to protect the right hand side but on numerous occassions drifted inside. O.K. for a right sided, marauding midfielder. Maybe less so for an orthodox right back with a man whose defensive game is suspect in front.

And how many games did Connor play for Newcastle?

No fight. Just debates and, in this case, corrections and fact stating.

So, the consensus seems to be he was there to protect Van Panic, and as a result we dropped one of our best attacking options. Should we not, therefore, have dropped Van Panic in a game we really wanted to win ? Isabella fud face makes the valid point about Aberdeen having to worry about Teale, rather than us being worried. However Isabella the tromboner does make a silly point about McGinn providing width ? Not sure I've ever seen him race down the outside and put a telling cross in..,

Newton is a central midfield player, not a wide midfielder. I'd rather he was shipped into the middle. To be honest I'd rather see Teale in for McLean, nothing against Kenny, I think he is a fantastic player, but I think we have many good midfielders and it's impossible to play them all.

Have to agree with this sir. Teale and Newton should be in the same line-up and if there was a player that had to give way to accommodate a central role for Newton then I would have to say at the moment it would be Mclean.

I feel Newton offers that bit more and will always give us another option going forward just as much as Kenny though I see more dig from Connor when we are chasing play.

I think people forget teal is not young any more to rest him against Aberdeen and have him fully fit for the hearts game and replace him with Newton was great tactics it also allowed us to include mcginn Goodwin McLean in the team and let McGowan play much further forward. My only fault the other night was mcginns reluctance to go down the wing!. having said that think he helped Kelly and was worried about leaving him exposed?.

I don't mind who Danny starts against hearts teal or Newton. Teal has been one of our best players. Newton played well the other night I thought! Makes us more solid in midfeild with Newton but more attacking with teal?.