How Many Points?

We're currently 2 points from safety (assuming Thistle lose to Celtic tonight) and with 7 games to go how many points do we realistically need to avoid the play off?

Given that the teams above us have an average of a point per game then you could assume they'd be on around 37 points at the end of the season. That would leave us needing 10 points to tie it up but likely 11 due to our goal difference. 11 points from 7 games when we've lost 8 of our last 9? That seems like a tall order and has left me a little more worried than I was previously.

However, the chink of light is that the bottom six will all have to play each other and will likely be cutting each other's throat week in week out until the end. That being said we'll probably still require a minimum of 8 points to have a chance.

We've got the games. Does our team have the bottle?

Our team with the current management has relegation written all over them and that is where we are heading, it's happening so buckle up. We'll get f**ked in the play off playing against a team full of confidence and scoring goals. It's game over.

Our team with the current management has relegation written all over them and that is where we are heading, it's happening so buckle up. We'll get f**ked in the play off playing against a team full of confidence and scoring goals. It's game over.

Not just the current management, the current playing squad. if u cant motivate yourself in a time of need ur in the wrong job.

I can't see five more being enough, 8 could be cutting it fine and anything in double figures just won't happen. This will be the first split with the play-off, our players already play scared without any pressure. Nothing from the next two games is unacceptable, but highly likely. So, it leaves the need to beat Hearts, Thistle and Ross Co at the very least. Prepare for five matches of ugly football, baffling tactics, plaudits for the opposition and defeats.

Danny Lennon was a breath of fresh air when he became manager of St Mirren, his atttitude was refreshing and he spoke in a postive manner about the fans unlike Gus. Danny is a genuiely nice guy, but it's time for him to no longer be manager of the club.

Winning the League Cup last year was great, but the cracks actually began to show prior to that with the poor 6 straight league defeats in a row in Oct/Nov 2012, the start to this season was also woeful and the start to 2014 has been disgraceful, but the signing policy has been his main downfall, signing so many players pre-season who have since left the club or rarely play, even the woeful season under Coughlan he made lots of bad signings but at least he tried and tested them in the team.

Thanks for the memories, but it's time to go/

I would feel more confident about that under a different management team.

Maybe so, but St Mirren still don't need any more points this season. The key fixture would be the play off. I said as much before the season started and St Mirren looked light on quality players. It was always going to be the season where you could blood some of the young players in the squad and give them a bit of experience. Hearts were never going to make up the points deficit.

Some of the decisions made are a bit baffling. I suppose the signing of Harkins on a pre contract was because the club expected to lose McGowan or McLean over the summer last year, but when that didn't happen and the club was top heavy with midfielders why did the club then sign Newton again on loan? I also don't really understand why you would offload Lee Mair to your main play off spot rivals when Mair is clearly better than McAusland. I think the signing of Grainger can only have been down to the fact that Kelly wasn't fancied, and when Kelly proved to be better than thought Grainger was released again. Bahoken looks like a panic signing that came only after Reilly showed not to be as ready as the club thought for the step up to first team football and when Newcastle decided to send Adam Campbell to Carlisle rather than St Mirren. What I would point out though is that there weren't many of the revisionists on here who questioned those deals at the time.

Anyway regardless of how the rest of the season pans out now Naismith, McGinn, and Kelly have all had a great deal of playing time in the Premiership this season. That will stand them in good stead in the future.

As for changing the manager? I think that's pretty pointless now. A new manager is going to be stuck with the same squad and it wouldn't be fair for him to have to take another managers squad into the play offs. The end of the season would be the best time to re-assess the situation with Danny Lennon and to decide whether you still believe he's capable of building a decent squad or not.

post split fixtures are the ones that matter now.

keep in the mix, and go hell for leather against our direct competitors then. I predict (god you fool Lord P) we'll avoid the play-offs by securing the required result (or subject to A.n. other's results) on our final home game in the split.

Then again I did predict we would be top six by New Year's day..!

Apart from the last paragraph, mainly agree with this. The reasoning behind the Boards indecision is that we cannot be relegated immediately and its fingers crossed we either avoid a play off (too late for that now) or scrape through against a lower division team over two legs.This has been so obvious for ages and is why no change has been mad.

What i still cannot fathom though is how does a manager respond to questions about his signing policy, assuming he is ever asked about this, or the fact that we never manage to string even TWO wins together. For a club who profess to have just about the lowest budget in the league, to then permit such profligacy in signing and releasing failed players is madness. The manager does not even have the decency to try and explain his gross ineptitude in the transfer market either to the press or more inportantly the fans.On the contrary he has continually tried the "emperors new clothes" routine by describing players as "the one I have been waiting for" etc etc. Lol you have to laugh at the utter nonsense he speaks, all of it in cliches of course.Its not just me who thinks this, just have a look on other forums where fans of other clubs have painted Lennon as a figure of fun and ask how we have put up with him for so long. Quite honestly if you were to read verbatim, any of his interviews (which are broadcast to the nation on radio, remember)they would make Professor Stanley Unwins utterances, completely logical.

I`d better hop off before the Lennonites come on and have a go at me again, lol.