Stewart Gilmour On Sportsound

Most players who have their heads screwed on do their badges in their late 20's, early 30's - a sensible precaution. Then along comes media work and all the spin-offs from there can lead to a very comfortable income without losing sleep over all the crap that football management brings. Don't assume that he wants into management - he plays the guitar, perhaps he wants to form a band?

Most players who have their heads screwed on do their badges in their late 20's, early 30's - a sensible precaution. Then along comes media work and all the spin-offs from there can lead to a very comfortable income without losing sleep over all the crap that football management brings. Don't assume that he wants into management - he plays the guitar, perhaps he wants to form a band?

Thomo is used a lot on BBC however is heart is in coaching and management. As I wrote would make a terrific manager and will go far in the game.

I do not want Ian Murray from Dumbarton. If they change I think it has to be for a tried and tested coach. No nonsense no going down the usual cheap option. I don't want our club to be a breeding ground for young managers who see us as a stepping stone and a team where they will make mistakes. I want a man who has been there and done it. This is if you guys are right and it's over for Danny. What I will say that if it is the end then it should also be the end for some of the players who have been poor pretty much all season bar the last few games. The current squad is not good. McLean if at all possible, McGinn, thommo, Goodwin and the goalies are my men to keep. The young lads are ties up so that means they will be here but for me McGowan and although he is under contract I would punt Marc mcausland I'm sorry but he simply won't do. Mcgregor maybe but he is better with Goodwin next to him. For me if Danny wins on sat I would be happy to see him offered a new 1 year rolling deal.

I know him well and his management philosophy. Definitely NOT someone a club like St Mirren should be recruiting. St Mitten need a manager that will nurture youth.

Gary Bollan would be a terrible appointment, I would rather we went from someone within the club instead of him I'm afraid.

I don't think Eastlandsaint wants him either. More likely he was tipped a wink about Bollan !

What concerns me about all this is that now we are safe Gilmore comes out of his shell and gives interviews.

When we were struggling, playing dire stuff and in danger of the drop he was nowhere to be seen or heard. He sat back and let Danny take a hell of a lot of flak. Flak that was deserved I might add.

I'm neither here nor there if Danny stays or goes but the chairman, for me, has not covered himself in glory this season and have very little respect for him in this scenario.

I'd like the board to be decisive today and map out the future for not only the manager but the club at large.

However.......

History tells us they'll fudge the issues.... offer Danny less basic wage with a bonus that would increase his wage if he achieves top six, and cut his playing budget for next year. all in the hope that Danny and not the board will make the decision.

I hope he calls their bluff and accepts the offer.

Let's face it, the current board have form on selecting the cheap option for manager - significant form.

For those who definitely want Danny punted, be prepared for an anti-climax. For this reason, the Bollan rumour sounds feasible.

We would be as well keeping Danny.

Edited by Drew

Let's face it, the current board have form on selecting the cheap option for manager - significant form.

For those who definitely want Danny punted, be prepared for an anti-climax. For this reason, the Bollan rumour sounds feasible.

I'm not one for speculating :-) But Neil Murray , who was rumoured to be a part of the Swiss bid , is a friend and former team-mate of Gary Bollan , so there maybe more to this !

If it's Gary Bollan we are bringing in then yes I would also keep Danny, that would be a dreadful appointment.

I'm not one for speculating :-) But Neil Murray , who was rumoured to be a part of the Swiss bid , is a friend and former team-mate of Gary Bollan , so there maybe more to this !

Well, regardless of whether there is any substance to this, it illustrates the point I made a day or so ago regarding my concerns surrounding the notion of any new owner bringing in their own man.

ETA: situation regarding Danny's position was the first story on the BBC Shortbread sports news bulletin this morning....

ETA#2: apologies if already posted, but this article gives a clearer idea of what SG said in his interview last night:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27320720

Edited by Drew

This is NOT a comment on Danny Lennon, not the purpose at all of this post. It is a comment on how our team is perceived by the media in general.

I listened to Sportsound last night. I like to think that there is nothing your average Radio pundit can say that riles me, simply based on the fact that 90% of them are ill informed, ignorant of the subject matter, and are unlikely to have even seen our team play this season.

That said, if you 'pays your money you take your chances', no one forced me to listen to their ramblings, and I'll hold my hand up, they collectively got to me last night. This has happened before, same radio show, same topic. What gets me everytime is the condescending manner in which they discuss "a team like St Mirren". Comments such as "Annual survival in the Premiership is success for St Mirren". "What more do St Mirren fans want each year?" The clear inference is that regardless of who manages St Mirren now or in the future there is no room for genuine ambition to improve? Surely that is the cornerstone and number one objective of any business?

The reality is that we have been in Scotland's top league for 8 years now. Are we to accept, with no Rangers, the majority of clubs struggling financially, and with one of our 12 opponents starting on -15, that our goal is 3rd bottom? We have no debt, the luxury of Ralston affording state of the art year round training facilities, a new stadium, and I believe a decent squad. There are inexperienced managers at St Johnston, Kilmarnock, Partick, Dundee United, and all but Celtic and Aberdeen have pretty much the same spare money for transfers. It is actually easier to formulate an argument for a club like St Mirren being a stick on top six team! Not for the pundits though - we should think ourselves lucky to survive relegation year after year after year. Tiresome and insulting in the extreme in my view.

My personal opinion on Danny has not changed despite the revival in our fortunes over the past few weeks.

I think he's taken us as far as he can, and frankly I don't trust him to be able to rebuild the squad in the summer.

We have at times played some great stuff under him, we won a major trophy and we survived 4 years in the Premiership under his management. He's a very nice bloke by all accounts and he has served the club well. But................

His dealings in the transfer market have been absolutely terrible. He's wasted a lot of his available resources on duds, and he has consistently failed to address key problem areas in the side. It's also a bit of an urban myth now that we play entertaining football. The verve and swagger of two seasons ago has long gone IMHO.

I think we need a new man at the helm to rebuild the squad for next season. Yes there is a risk it could go wrong, but I think if we are in any way ambitious we have to get out of this cycle of "just surviving" each season. We should be looking at the likes of ICT & St.Johnstone of examples of clubs with similar budgets to ourselves who have massively outperformed us this season.

I won't cry if the board decide to give Danny another year but for me, personally, I'd rather we went our separate ways and we got a chance to say goodbye on Saturday. He deserves that at least.

This is NOT a comment on Danny Lennon, not the purpose at all of this post. It is a comment on how our team is perceived by the media in general.
I listened to Sportsound last night. I like to think that there is nothing your average Radio pundit can say that riles me, simply based on the fact that 90% of them are ill informed, ignorant of the subject matter, and are unlikely to have even seen our team play this season.
That said, if you 'pays your money you take your chances', no one forced me to listen to their ramblings, and I'll hold my hand up, they collectively got to me last night. This has happened before, same radio show, same topic. What gets me everytime is the condescending manner in which they discuss "a team like St Mirren". Comments such as "Annual survival in the Premiership is success for St Mirren". "What more do St Mirren fans want each year?" The clear inference is that regardless of who manages St Mirren now or in the future there is no room for genuine ambition to improve? Surely that is the cornerstone and number one objective of any business?
The reality is that we have been in Scotland's top league for 8 years now. Are we to accept, with no Rangers, the majority of clubs struggling financially, and with one of our 12 opponents starting on -15, that our goal is 3rd bottom? We have no debt, the luxury of Ralston affording state of the art year round training facilities, a new stadium, and I believe a decent squad. There are inexperienced managers at St Johnston, Kilmarnock, Partick, Dundee United, and all but Celtic and Aberdeen have pretty much the same spare money for transfers. It is actually easier to formulate an argument for a club like St Mirren being a stick on top six team! Not for the pundits though - we should think ourselves lucky to survive relegation year after year after year. Tiresome and insulting in the extreme in my view.

Bang on for me. Well said. We have to remain ambitious otherwise what exactly is the point ?

My personal opinion on Danny has not changed despite the revival in our fortunes over the past few weeks.

I think he's taken us as far as he can, and frankly I don't trust him to be able to rebuild the squad in the summer.

We have at times played some great stuff under him, we won a major trophy and we survived 4 years in the Premiership under his management. He's a very nice bloke by all accounts and he has served the club well. But................

His dealings in the transfer market have been absolutely terrible. He's wasted a lot of his available resources on duds, and he has consistently failed to address key problem areas in the side. It's also a bit of an urban myth now that we play entertaining football. The verve and swagger of two seasons ago has long gone IMHO.

I think we need a new man at the helm to rebuild the squad for next season. Yes there is a risk it could go wrong, but I think if we are in any way ambitious we have to get out of this cycle of "just surviving" each season. We should be looking at the likes of ICT & St.Johnstone of examples of clubs with similar budgets to ourselves who have massively outperformed us this season.

I won't cry if the board decide to give Danny another year but for me, personally, I'd rather we went our separate ways and we got a chance to say goodbye on Saturday. He deserves that at least.

Its hard to argue with this, to be honest.

I will say, though, that, first and foremost, the BoD are the people who need to demonstrate the ambition we are crying out for, not Danny Lennon.

Lennon can only operate with the tools he is equipped with (no references to Cheesy and McGregor at the back!), and I think he has many limitations as a manager, but he cannot be faulted for trying his best and being an enthusiastic servant of SMFC. I think the focus must shift to the board room now. Inevitably, as supporters, we will always judge the progress of the club on the basis of on-field results and performances, but the machinery behind that extends way beyond the manager.

The ambition we are looking for must surely apply to all areas of the club's operation, and, for me, these areas are all inextrivably linked to the on-field affairs. Good PR means more people through the door, and more revenue, which should equate to a bigger budget and better players. Good PR includes getting the merchandising right, ensuring that people enjoy their day out when they come to the stadium of a Saturday or mid-week. It is about communication, and engagement with the local community. It is also about offering incentives for people to get along to games.

On the whole, I have not been terribly impressed with many of the PR/commercial activites of the club over the decades, so I think it is fair to say that its potential hasn't been realised, and this is NOT something that can be laid at the door of Danny Lennon.

Huge decision for the board to make and it's a gamble either way.

A new manager does not guarantee improvement, plus at our level of income I very much doubt the BoD would be looking for an established/successful manager to take the reigns. Factor in that any new manager would have to make a blind decision (assuming the appointment does not come from within) on whether to keep or release the players we have out of contract.

The gamble with DL is his dealings in the transfer market. Past windows have been poor and we cannot afford to have another summer like last. If, and its a big if, DL has learned from this and does not allow the same mistakes to be made then I think most fans would be happy to see DL remain in charge.

I would give DL a 1 year rolling contract and hope that there is no repeat of last summers transfer window. I'm glad it's not my decision though.

One of the arguments being used against Lennon 5/6 weeks ago was that unlike he whose name shall not be mentioned you couldn't trust him when the crunch games come around however this is a charge which I feel is unjustified - from season 1 of his tenure to the LCSF against Celtic just 8 days after a particularly insipid defeat at home to Ross County to the H2H game against Hearts last autumn and the recent turnaround Lennon has delivered when it mattered.

His biggest weakness for me is a desire to play flowery football, but I'd be happy to have him next to me in the trenches.