James Chambers

SuperSaints 12

there will always be scope for a good greet.

Very true. I think folk tend to forget, also, that young players mature. I have high hopes for at least a couple of our new additions from the U20s.

Imagine the seething and greetin on here if exactly 12 months ago the club announced that they were going to go with Kelly and Naismith as first choice full backs for the coming season.

You really think Hamilton are going to be a bigger threat to us next year than Hibs would have been?

Hamilton have always posed us problems , for as far back as I can remember. They have decent SPL record against us !

Indeed. Dundee fans are wetting their knickers at signing two totally unknown German players, one of whom played in the German fifth tier.

We signed someone from the English fifth tier and he was immediately classed as "shite" and a "cost cutting exercise".

I'd much rather blood players like Brown, Hughes and Williams, that know the club inside out, rather than spend thousands on unknown quantities. I think all three will make a significant contribution, if called upon, when the season starts.

Yes, we do need experience and as WC points out, where the f**k is our CH? Plummer may well have played at CH, but unless he's got spring heels, then I'd seriously doubt that he'd be a serious CH pairing with McAusland.

The CH situation should have been sorted already IMO, but some might say, it's dejá vu, concerning this

particular position.

We have needed two CH's for the past 4 seasons

We have needed two CH's for the past 4 seasons

It's amazing we can manage the 7th best defence in the league, when we had 3 keepers who played more than 5 games for us, we predominantly started with 2 full backs in their first senior season and we need 2 new centre backs too!

How exactly did we do it?

Spot on Billy. St Mirren historically have failed against lesser teams. Season 79/80 was a case in point. Had we performed better against Hibs, Dundee (both relegated) and Morton we could have pipped Aberdeen for Fergies first championship.

To finish 3rd after what was a horrendous start and losing Zico mid season was amazing.

We dropped 6 points to Morton that season and were pipped to teh title by 6 points...

But then again, Morton finished 6th that season and were actually leading the title race at the half way point in the season and had a side with many great players, including Andy Ritchie who I believe won POTY that season...

I remember looking at some old Paisley Daily Express' in the library many many years ago and had a look at some of the papers at the start of that season. We had in fact not won any of our first 4 league games and were knocked out of the League Cup by lower league Hamilton at home (we beat them 2-0 away but somehow managed to lose the home leg and get put out on penalties).

The paper was doing a survey of Saints fans about the "crisis at Love Street". One fan told the paper that it was the worst Saints team he'd ever seen.

Now let's remember that just 6 years previously we had effectively finished 29th in Scottish football...

The turning point that season actually came when 2 expreineced players were dropped and 2 kids put in the team in their place. The guys dropped were John Dempster, a £30,000 signing from Queen of the South and the experienced Andy Dunlop.

The 2 kids were the untested Mark Fulton & Peter Weir...

At the end of last season they were yes, but Hibs had got themselves into a terrible state. You really think Hamilton are going to be a bigger threat to us next year than Hibs would have been?

Hamilton have a smaller budget than we do, Hibs would have a considerably larger one.

Hamilton will easily take 6 points off us this season, they will do ok for themselves.

Hamilton will easily take 6 points off us this season, they will do ok for themselves.

What are you basing this on?

After watching them, albeit in 2 games, against a poor Hibs side I'd be inclined to think we can do pretty decent against them as they were, IMO, piss poor.

I'm not aware of the signings they have made which could make a difference but if the basis of the team is the same as last season then I think they will struggle.

Let's not kid ourselves, minus the 2 Edinburgh teams and the continued absence of that lot from Glasgow the league this season will be the weakest ever.

It won't be long until all 3 revert are back to their long term norm and our league position is knocked down by 2 or 3 places.

Maybe, with that in mind, we should go with youth this season and hope that the likes of Brown and Reilly become as established as Naismith and Kelly are now. Would put us in good shape for the bigger battles to come.

What are you basing this on?

After watching them, albeit in 2 games, against a poor Hibs side I'd be inclined to think we can do pretty decent against them as they were, IMO, piss poor.

I'm not aware of the signings they have made which could make a difference but if the basis of the team is the same as last season then I think they will struggle.

But they beat Morton 10 - 2 and only managed 1 - 0 so that means .........................................

Very true. I think folk tend to forget, also, that young players mature. I have high hopes for at least a couple of our new additions from the U20s.

Imagine the seething and greetin on here if exactly 12 months ago the club announced that they were going to go with Kelly and Naismith as first choice full backs for the coming season.

I don't think you have to imagine it. See posts re Kelly after the Morton game.

As its been in several seasons. Billy's right - they are one of those teams that have historically caused us problems, no mater who's in charge or what players they have.

O.K. so we have different players, a different manager, we're not the same team.

Spooky if they're still causing us problems.

Listen I am all for youth no question. However no ifs or buts about it we are at least four experienced provan players short. Get things moving management.

Tommy said as much after the Morton game. Said he'll be scouting this week to bring in a few experienced players to beef up the squad.