St Mirren V Dundee United Premiership 21/1/15 7.45Pm Kick Off

shull

Superb effort throughout and we deserved at least a point for more than matching a team that was recently touted as title challengers.

Ravanelli at the back had a shaky start with a few misplaced passes, but the wily old silver fox never gave up or let his head go down.

There were winners and fighters all over the park and it is so good to see us play as a team again... the atmosphere is so different at the game now.

Only one negative for me tonight... Naismith is a threat going forward... but he is far too far off his man defensively... at set pieces he is easily slipped, and in general play he is several yards too far away from his man... that makes us so vulnerable to attack on his side... he needs lo learn quickly.

I still see him more as a central defender, where I think he could go on to excel!

I have to give massive kudos to our current (and I hope resident till the end of the season and possibly beyond depending on continued improvement) manager Gary Teale.

He has bonded the team, coached them well, motivated them... used the Fergieism of us v the world... and the difference is night and day.

Look at Motherwell and the difference an "outsider with no connection" has made so far... sure, he may yet turn it around, but even in interview he is sounding more and more like Terry Butcher a la Hibs!!!

I thought Teale had lost the plot tonight when he brought on McClear for Osbourne... we were being over-run at that point, and personally, I thought taking off Orbourne could have been suicidal...

Well played Gary... the wee winger may have been lightweight and not made a massive difference on his own... but the change of shape and tactic completely changed the game and put us back in command. That was a genius bit of management.

Edited by BuddieinEK

Spot on in everything. Said the same thing regarding Naismith and Osbourne at the game. I'll be f'king raging if the BOD do the dirty on Teale. Give him to the end of the season and then if there is new owners they can decide the management team then.

Superb effort throughout and we deserved at least a point for more than matching a team that was recently touted as title challengers.

Ravanelli at the back had a shaky start with a few misplaced passes, but the wily old silver fox never gave up or let his head go down.

There were winners and fighters all over the park and it is so good to see us play as a team again... the atmosphere is so different at the game now.

Only one negative for me tonight... Naismith is a threat going forward... but he is far too far off his man defensively... at set pieces he is easily slipped, and in general play he is several yards too far away from his man... that makes us so vulnerable to attack on his side... he needs lo learn quickly.

I still see him more as a central defender, where I think he could go on to excel!

I have to give massive kudos to our current (and I hope resident till the end of the season and possibly beyond depending on continued improvement) manager Gary Teale.

He has bonded the team, coached them well, motivated them... used the Fergieism of us v the world... and the difference is night and day.

Look at Motherwell and the difference an "outsider with no connection" has made so far... sure, he may het turn it around, but even in interview he is sounding more and more like Terry Butcher a la Hibs!!!

I thought he had lost the plot tonight when he brought on McClear for Osbourne... we were being over-run at that point, and personally, I thought taking off Orbourne could have been suicidal...

Well played Gary... the wee winger may have been lightweight and not made a massive difference on his own... but the change of shape and tactic completely changed the game and put us back in command. That was a genius bit of management.

Teale is getting enough points, just about, to keep us up if he had been in charge since the start of the season. 8 points from 8 games and he's maybe had a half fit Thommo for 120 minutes and had 5 or 6 players going out the door with only Arquin in. Mallan and McLear have looked decent since their introduction, but the biggest change has been seeing guys like Goodwin, McLean, McGinn return to their pre-TommyCraig form.

Edited by Dibbles old paperboy

Changed times indeed when I say how disappointed I am that we only got a point tonight against a team vying for the League title! The difference between now and 7 games ago is night and day. Teale has a formation that works well and everyone knows what they are supposed to be doing in it. Plenty of skill and fire and determination. Although Utd are the team making the transfer headlines the best 3 players tonight were in the home team with McLean, McGinn and Mallon although there were no failures in the stripes. Give Tealy the job now!

lol.gif

You must be joking !!!

Which game were you watching? Goodwin was immense at the back. He moved right across the park putting in blocks and ensuring the crosses didn't get through. McLean. You're right. I felt something was going to happen whenever he was near the ball. I would add that I felt Kelly, Naismith, McGinn Mallan,,..... ACH, nearly all the team were excellent.

As far as Arquinn was concerned. Yes. He certainly looked good in parts but he appears to be the type of player who won't chase a 49-51 ball. Not saying it's entirely wrong but perhaps closing down a defender makes him make mistakes. Young McLear showed him how to do it when he came on.

I thought we did enough to deserve to win this match but we could just as easily have shot ourselves in the foot near the end so, a good point and we move on. Teales troops to shoot down the other half of Dundee on Saturday and we'll rejoice,.... a little.

Is this a piss take? Goodwin was brilliant tonight. Have you been taking the funny stuff?

Anyone that thought that Goodwin's performance in the first half was anything other than awful needs their head looked at, thankfully after the halftime break he decided to defend properly rather than his attempt to do so in the first half.

The first half was some of the worst football I've seen from McGinn and Naismith, out of position and making the wrong decisions. Again they improved in the second half.

Arquin linked up well, without being threatening, it helps McLean a lot.

It's a massive improvement but we've a long way to go, we held our own, but lack any really edge in the final third apart from McLean bringing out some magic.

2511 attended.

Not great. :(

Not enough to fund a fitba team in the top league...

Thought McLean's goal was excellent, he knew exactly what he was doing and finishing with the outside of his boot, priceless ! Man of the match well deserved.

A couple of us immediately thought it VERY reminiscent of a certain Gascoigne goal...

...so it was delight at Kenny doing that... then... a sharp body-swerve into a quite dark place..... :(

Marvellous thought and control to execute that, however. With his left foot. ONLY his left foot. :)

So, as it's this grumpy forum.. don't they teach players nowadays how to use BOTH feet?!?!?! :angry:

Everyone was excellent tonight. McAusland was fantastic for the 90 minutes and deserves a lot of credit. He takes a lot of stick from certain people within our support, but by the way he played tonight, he proved why he's in the team.

Absolutely no criticism of Marc tonight... he had a couple of brilliantly timed tackles that saved the day.

My issue is that he is inconsistent. He can play so well one game, and cost you the next with one daft moment of slackness.

HOWEVER... Gary has made him captain and shown faith in him... and to date he has responded.

He has my full support... and I truly hope the improvement continues... but we still need defensive options!!

What I particularly enjoyed about tonight was that it felt like a proper team. They were all working for each other. Organised, skillful and looking a heck of a lot more direct and threatening than we were under TC. Deserved to win, but would have taken a point before the game so no complaints.

Just seen that penalty claim again for us in the 83rd minute. Looked a good shout to me at the time and did again there. The defender turns his body towards the ball to block it and it hits his elbow. Certainly seen them given.

Edited by TopCat

Absolutely no criticism of Marc tonight... he had a couple of brilliantly timed tackles that saved the day.

My issue is that he is inconsistent. He can play so well one game, and cost you the next with one daft moment of slackness.

HOWEVER... Gary has made him captain and shown faith in him... and to date he has responded.

He has my full support... and I truly hope the improvement continues... but we still need defensive options!!

This. Of course McAusland and Goodwin can have good games, and tonight they had both had a good game. In saying that, Naismith still makes at least 1 crucial covering tackle a game and he did again tonight.

We still need a consistent defensive leader.

Good all round team performance last night. Mclean was the standout but I was really impressed with Kelly's shift. He was constantly looking for the ball and attacking as soon as he could - it was good to see. Arquin proved a handful at times but he needs to get his finger out to get back on side quicker. Teale's got their tails up now and you could see the positivity throughout the whole team. Could we see the home win hoodoo broken before the end of January?

I do have one wee point for improvement though....everytime the ball was played back to Ridgers it was between the posts. He's not the cleverest with the ball at his feet. It needs to be wide of the posts.

Just watched the game, certainly couldn't fault anyone in the stripes. Would have gladly taken the point before the game but we could easily have won it. Kenny should have burried his chance but I'm won't criticise him as his goal was superb.

Stonewall penalty as well, yeah his hands were by his side but the ball is hitting the target so it's a penalty I'd say.

Arquain looks decent and he linked well with Kenny so that was a positive, biggest positive though was the backing the fans gave the boys, well done to you all and hopefully you can roar the boys to victory on Saturday.

COYS

Third game of season and at last a goal to savour. Kenny took his goal well but missed at least another three sitters unfortunately.I`m afraid its too little too late as we would have to win every home game in the position we find ourselves in. We badly need another centre forward and a decent pivot.Didnt think much of United quite honestly and we should have beaten them.Perhaps our hope is that the others round about us are useless as well, so if we went on a run of some sort it could help things.

Thought , the boys played a lot better , and the king scored a blinder. I also thought that when he was tackled in the box in front of goal , if big Jim did that he would have seen red and they would have got a penalty. .

I think the main problem with the defence is that they don't manage to get back quickly enough when there is a counter attack. .

I think Gary could now save us , hopefully. .punk.gif