Smisa Statement On Fan Ownership / Gordon Scott

BLF

Has there been any progress since this thread was started on July 1?

As stated by Gordon Scott, there are now talks taking place with the consortium to come to an agreement, initially we had to have meetings with Gordon to sort out what we both want from the agreement for our joint bid. With that all ironed out we then had a meeting with the consortium last week to find out what they want. We met with Gordon on monday to discuss the outcome of that meeting and we had our own meeting tonight.

I am just as eager as you are to get things moving along at pace, realistically though it takes time to do this and patience is required, we all have day jobs, so it is a slow process.

As stated by Gordon Scott, there are now talks taking place with the consortium to come to an agreement, initially we had to have meetings with Gordon to sort out what we both want from the agreement for our joint bid. With that all ironed out we then had a meeting with the consortium last week to find out what they want. We met with Gordon on monday to discuss the outcome of that meeting and we had our own meeting tonight.

I am just as eager as you are to get things moving along at pace, realistically though it takes time to do this and patience is required, we all have day jobs, so it is a slow process.

Much better this process where a fans group gets to set the agenda, ask the question and lead the way ratherbthan some wide boy from Ayrshire trying to get it all through on the sly his mates!

£5 a share take it or leave it.

Surely the way to go is for SG & the Consortium to offer GLS & SMiSA training facilities. The consortium runs the rule over the new guys, checks their fitness levels, how handy they are with a sausage roll and a club tie, and if they are 'better than what we have already'. If everything looks good, offer them their shares.... before they bugger off and buy Partick Thistle instead.

Surely the way to go is for SG & the Consortium to offer GLS & SMiSA training facilities. The consortium runs the rule over the new guys, checks their fitness levels, how handy they are with a sausage roll and a club tie, and if they are 'better than what we have already'. If everything looks good, offer them their shares.... before they bugger off and buy Partick Thistle instead.

I agree with the above apart from, training/fitness level - i'm too auld, club tie - funerals and weddings only, better than we have already - potentially, i could handle the sausage roll though, but only if i (and the rest) have paid for said delicacy.

We wouldn't bugger off and buy any other club, just ask lovestreetzo he will confirm this.

See that the Motherwell fan ownership is in bother.

Motherwell majority shareholder Les Hutchison says plans to move the club into fan ownership will be in jeopardy unless significantly more supporters sign up to a financial commitment. (BBC Gossip)

However, my Motherwell supporting cronie wasn't quite as positive as that - his opinion had a lot of F's in it?

Bit of a novice to this whole thing. I'm a SMISA member, pay my few quid every month - read into it, but I'm still a wee bit skeptical.

Can someone answer;

What happens if the club runs out of money? Would it be a begging bowl out to the members situation, or is Gordon putting some of his own money on the line? Would it still possible for the club to borrow money? Would fan ownership affect the clubs credit rating?

Love the idea in theory, just not convinced that our support has the money available to make it work long term - especially if things don't work out on the park. Paisley isnae exactly Monaco, people can lose interest easily.

Edited by Doakes

Bit of a novice to this whole thing. I'm a SMISA member, pay my few quid every month - read into it, but I'm still a wee bit skeptical.

Can someone answer;

What happens if the club runs out of money? Would it be a begging bowl out to the members situation, or is Gordon putting some of his own money on the line? Would it still possible for the club to borrow money? Would fan ownership affect the clubs credit rating?

Love the idea in theory, just not convinced that our support has the money available to make it work long term - especially if things don't work out on the park. Paisley isnae exactly Monaco, people can lose interest easily.

I don't think anyone at this point anyone could answer your first question but I'd imagine the same principles would apply if the club ran out of money today

yes, the over riding factor in all of this is the desire of the fans to have control of their club and ensure it remains in their hands rather that of a property developer for example. it really depends on how successful every supporter wants the club to be. collectively their drive and enthusiasm OR their apathy will determine the future of our club

I don't think anyone at this point anyone could answer your first question but I'd imagine the same principles would apply if the club ran out of money today

yes, the over riding factor in all of this is the desire of the fans to have control of their club and ensure it remains in their hands rather that of a property developer for example. it really depends on how successful every supporter wants the club to be. collectively their drive and enthusiasm OR their apathy will determine the future of our club

I think this is why the fan ownership model has to have a strong community element to it - much in the way 10000hours promised. If those taking part in any fan ownership scheme can see the benefit of their contribution enhancing the clubs reputation by doing good within the local community then it becomes far more than just about the results on the park. It has to be about putting into place a different kind of ethos, basically taking football back to it's roots when it's popularity as a sport was just growing.

The Motherwell fan ownership model was always going to run into a number of problems just as I think the Hibs one will in the long term too. Hopefully SMiSA won't fall into some of the similar traps.

• 2 weeks later...

I posted the remarks below in another thread, i believe they should also be posted in this thread.

OK lets look at stats (which is apparently the only thing that Spalding is capable of or has any experience of) Ian Murrays record in last seasons championship, Games 36, won 9, lost 20 , drew 7, goals for 36, goals against 79. league place 7th of 10.

Poor uninspiring choice of manager (as i have stated from day one) i was however willing to give him the benefit of doubt, since he has come to be the manager of a full time team, unfortunately he is now on course to equal or achieve slightly worse or slightly better stats this season, which could mean 8th or 6th place.

Our BOD need to admit they showed no ambition in his appointment, not by publicly admitting it, but by showing just exactly how much they are out of pocket in real terms i.e. how much they personally spent and how much they made from being directors of SMFC, show indisputable proof of this and only of what came out of their pockets and what went in to their pockets. You have done us proud and deserve every penny that you are now out of pocket through doing this. If that amount proves to be outwith the affordability of our support then sadly you will have to soldier on or give us it at a loss.

Your call now Douglas street ltd, you have by your own admission made mistakes last season, this season looks to be heading in the same direction.

Incidentally i have stood down from the SMiSA group who are negotiating the proposed buyout of our club, mainly for reasons contained in the above paragraphs, i remain on the SMiSA board as i am committed to representing fans as much as i can and still have the desire for us to attain fan ownership.

ETA I am asking Duoglas street ltd., to accept the difference in their profit and loss amounts. This may result in us potentially paying a certain amount or it may result in us having to pay nothing at all if the club goes into liquidation.

Edited by buddiecat

I posted the remarks below in another thread, i believe they should also be posted in this thread.

OK lets look at stats (which is apparently the only thing that Spalding is capable of or has any experience of) Ian Murrays record in last seasons championship, Games 36, won 9, lost 20 , drew 7, goals for 36, goals against 79. league place 7th of 10.

Poor uninspiring choice of manager (as i have stated from day one) i was however willing to give him the benefit of doubt, since he has come to be the manager of a full time team, unfortunately he is now on course to equal or achieve slightly worse or slightly better stats this season, which could mean 8th or 6th place.

Our BOD need to admit they showed no ambition in his appointment, not by publicly admitting it, but by showing just exactly how much they are out of pocket in real terms i.e. how much they personally spent and how much they made from being directors of SMFC, show indisputable proof of this and only of what came out of their pockets and what went in to their pockets, exclude any inherited shares, prove the true amount, and sell us our proud club for that amount. You have done us proud and deserve every penny that you are now out of pocket through doing this. If that amount proves to be outwith the affordability of our support then sadly you will have to soldier on or give us it at a loss.

Your call now Douglas street ltd, you have by your own admission made mistakes last season, this season looks to be heading in the same direction.

Incidentally i have stood down from the SMiSA group who are negotiating the proposed buyout of our club, mainly for reasons contained in the above paragraphs, i could say a lot more but i personally have the good of our club at heart and do not wish to stir (too much) shit.

ETA I am asking Duoglas street ltd., to accept the difference in their profit and loss amounts. This may result in us potentially paying a certain amount or it may result in us having to pay nothing at all.

Yep OK, fair enough. But how can they possibly define how much money they've spent and made? For example, in the deficit column there might be all those hours they've put into running the club, attending SPFL and SPL meetings etc without taking any pay. Then in the plus column I presume they'd have to factor into the equation all those free bus trips they've taken to away matches, all those half time buffets that they've had up and down the country, free admission to matches - often in the best seats, and then there's the possible benefits of having made a new business contact through the game, or a new customer through their association with the club.

Yep OK, fair enough. But how can they possibly define how much money they've spent and made? For example, in the deficit column there might be all those hours they've put into running the club, attending SPFL and SPL meetings etc without taking any pay. Then in the plus column I presume they'd have to factor into the equation all those free bus trips they've taken to away matches, all those half time buffets that they've had up and down the country, free admission to matches - often in the best seats, and then there's the possible benefits of having made a new business contact through the game, or a new customer through their association with the club.

Hours put into running the club are what we should thank them for, attending meetings to represent us is part and parcel of being a director, again they should be thanked for that, no director of SMFC would expect to be paid for that, they knew when they took up the positions that they were not going to be paid, as for benefits such as free seats - thats an expected perk and quite rightly so - but i have seen them pay into games quite often and they do buy season tickets, the team bus is always going to be there for away games and if there are spare seats on it then there is no problem with a director or 2 taking those seats, i have seen SGG for example attend matches by train and by car, i can quite honestly state i have never seen him on the team bus. Being supplied buffets or such like by away clubs is up to that club, it doesn't cost us a penny. I have made business contacts and gained customers from being a supporter of SMFC, don't see why they shouldn't take advantage as well, again it doesn't cost us a penny.

You treat the BOD as your enemy, i don't, i simply want them to pave the way for a new regime and do so at minimal cost to supporters, i want them to deal with us as fans not as business people, i may not get my wish, i just want them to consider taking a minimal amount and leaving us as much as we can raise above that amount to hold in reserve for the inevitable emergencies.

I don't know what figures are currently under negotiation, i just want the amount to be minimal, that is if a deal is at all possible under current proposals.

ETA, i really must stop posting on a saturday night after a defeat, as i am not in the best frame of mind for reasoned discussion at that time.

Edited by buddiecat