Trialists Update

And based on his quote, I doubt he told Murray that this season is a consolidation exercise, which is what you believe.

As I stated in my post, I'd wager that the target is to get into the play offs. You then have a shot at promotion and anything can happen. We will be up against the likes of Falkirk, qos, faith for the 2 remaining okay off spots.

IMO, the intention to win promotion in 1 season = reaching the play offs.

I don't think that anyone can argue that not reaching the play offs will be failure.

The bottom line us that only our manager and board are privvy to what was discussed during the interview.

Of course the target should be reaching the playoffs. If we don't finish top 4 the season would be a failure and - as with any failure of a season - the manager should go at the end of it.

If we do finish top 4 we will have a decent shot at promotion. Would just take us hitting a purple patch and a bit of luck in May and we could be right back up.

Do you genuinely believe that Murray should be bagged if we don't finish in the top four?

Are you for real?

Just re-read what you just posted.....!

I am sorry that it is irrefutable coming from the chairman, who we can only guess didn't have a gun to his head at the time, but c'mon.... Eh? ... C'mon...

Is it just the Saint Mirren professional football club ptd ltd co that you dislike or do you also have a deep hatred of all of us who follow the wonderful Paisley team?

Just wondering, just wondering I was indeed.

Of course the target should be reaching the playoffs. If we don't finish top 4 the season would be a failure and - as with any failure of a season - the manager should go at the end of it.

If we do finish top 4 we will have a decent shot at promotion. Would just take us hitting a purple patch and a bit of luck in May and we could be right back up.

This league is very difficult to get out of, just ask Dundee who are better resourced that we are.

I'd be very pleased if we made the playoffs but if not, hey, it could take a year or two to rebuild.

We're a diddy team, and have no divine right to go right back up.

I think we'll struggle.

This league is very difficult to get out of, just ask Dundee who are better resourced that we are.

I'd be very pleased if we made the playoffs but if not, hey, it could take a year or two to rebuild.

I think we'll struggle.

This.

Murray is our 4th manager in just over a year. We need to consolidate and build. Ideally, with a manager who has enough acumen to progress this. I'm not sure that a year at the helm would be sufficient time to demonstrate this.

I think we'll struggle.

We will struggle unless we bring in an experienced centre half and a couple of strikers, Thompson should not be starting.

I agree,the re-building starts here as we dont want to go up under strengthed

will be a slow process but i can wait

waited for years for a cup victory so hey...why judge after only a season

lets develope and maybe...just maybe...we will get ir right this time

Do you genuinely believe that Murray should be bagged if we don't finish in the top four?

I would say yes Drew. I believe we have the 3rd biggest player budget. We have spent almost a decade in the top flight. We have great facilities and a decent support. Anything less than top 4 should be viewed as a failure and the manager should be replaced. The whole build for the future thing is difficult to reconcile when we rarely offer players more than a year's contract and it's a get out of jail card for under performing managers.

I think we'll struggle.

Well of course it's a far less difficult league to get out of than when Dundee were in it. One up one down made it so. If that was still the case no one would have been expecting us to go back up.

We don't have a right to go back up and I'm not saying we should. I'm simply saying we should finish top 4, which will give us a shot of if. Top 4 in a 10 team league is hardly asking too much.

This.

Murray is our 4th manager in just over a year. We need to consolidate and build. Ideally, with a manager who has enough acumen to progress this. I'm not sure that a year at the helm would be sufficient time to demonstrate this.

Weren't you asking for Tommy Craig to be bagged in September?

If we have a similarly poor start to this season, will you be asking for Murray to go too?

My friend, I know what a target is. Just because you set one does not mean you are 'explicitly expected'to reach it. Most clubs set targets, to win the league, avoid relegation, win a cup etc. Expectation is not simply a belief. If the chairman of Man City pumps millions into the club and tells the manager "I expect the championship" then it is clear this is not his belief but as you pointed out "explicitly demand" that they win.

Which ever way you spin it, I doubt SG told IM that not getting promotion is failure

Sorry Ned you are way off 'target' on this one. As any school kid knows in this meaning of the word we are discussing a 'Target' is "a level, or situation that you intend to achieve" where as an 'Expectation' is "a strong belief that something will happen, or be the case" .

Targets or Objectives are Smart, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Time or resource constrained... S.M.A.R.T. To that end i disagree with your presumption that 'Most Clubs' set targets to win the league or cup... I would imagine 'Most Clubs' set out expectations around performances, league position, going on a cup run. Then specifically set targets about which league position they want to achieve come season end.

I can tell you though if the chairman of Man City pumps millions in and then says 'I expect the championship' it goes along way to explaining why the bought Sterling! Because he could certainly drag them down a division!

We will not finnish top 4 trust me on this if we end up 7th we will be lucky .

Ah Elvis, we've missed your cheeky banter and happy go lucky take on life, perfect for your job as chief medicator at the dignitas clinic.

By the way, it should be spelt "finish". Finnish is what big Mixu is.

I would say yes Drew. I believe we have the 3rd biggest player budget. We have spent almost a decade in the top flight. We have great facilities and a decent support. Anything less than top 4 should be viewed as a failure and the manager should be replaced. The whole build for the future thing is difficult to reconcile when we rarely offer players more than a year's contract and it's a get out of jail card for under performing managers.

To bring in who, though?

Also, many managers take a while to bed in and set things up as they want them to be. A certain A. Ferguson springs to mind.

Weren't you asking for Tommy Craig to be bagged in September?

Yes, but I was also of the view that he should never have been appointed.

Also, Craig had been at the club for a couple of years, so a reasonable 'probation' period wasn't required.

Edited by Drew

I think we'll struggle.

No one is denying that its a difficult league to get out of.

However, getting into the top 4 shouldn't be THAT difficult.

We will have the biggest budget - or thereabouts - outside Hibs & The Rangers. There are 2 spare play off spots available.

And, as I pointed out, clubs cannot spend a year or two rebuilding. You can't do that these days when you are a diddy club. In these days of Bosmans and 1 & 2 year contracts, any decent players you find won't be here in 2 years time anyway!

To bring in who, though?

Also, many managers take a while to bed in and set things up as they want them to be. A certain A. Ferguson springs to mind.

But I thought Murray "Knew the league" and had "over delivered" at Dumbarton..? Surely he is the hit the ground running, ambitious young manager the board have lauded him for being???

This.

It is not possible to "consolidate and build".

With the biggest budget in the division outside Hibs & The Rangers, securing one of the TWO remaining play off spots is the MINIMUM requirement of Ian Murray this season.

If he doesn't do it then he has failed and should go.